Author Topic: Enjoying the hell out of the P47 :))  (Read 340 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Enjoying the hell out of the P47 :))
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2002, 04:54:46 AM »
Kweassa - Eagl has alread covered much of the reason for the P47 zoom ability. In addition to that is the paddle prop, to which there are multiple references in Gabreski's book. I don't think this prop was used on earlier P47s (?) but he really swooned about it on the P47D. I think it was he who said that this prop would give him an extra 1000ft of zoom, and he could really hang the aircraft on it. I can check this out, but I don't have time to do it today - sorry.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2002, 11:33:09 AM by beet1e »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2002, 11:18:40 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Question:

What I don't understand is the comment of the late Robert Johnson so often mentioned that;

"The P-47, with its massive weight purely excelled in zoom climbs, but would meet trouble when the competition became something about sustained climb rates"

I saw this comment on Johnson's mock-combat with a Spitfire, and in Johnson's interviews, too.

Does this mean the P-47, at the start of the zoom climb, would gain tremendous distance over an enemy plane, but the enemy would catch up as it reaches the limit of the zoom-sequence? If so, I don't think that can be described as "great zoom climb" unless the P-47 had a massive E advantage in the first place.. and I wonder how that fact ever helped with the Jug in actual combat.

Gosh, if somebody like Johnson says so, its probably true, but I'm not getting the point..  can anyone clarify this for me?

Johnson also said that after the Jugs were fitted with the 4 bladed paddle props they were able to not only out zoom the spits but maintain a higher sustained rate of climb as well.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2002, 01:05:41 PM »
In AH, anything outdives the P47 in a wings level dive.:confused:
If you are at 20k and even a 109 starts a dive, you catch up with him on the deck 2 sectors later. If it's a FW, he's gone, if it's a spit5 following you, he will still be 500y your six upon reaching the deck.

joy:D
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2002, 02:11:47 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron

Johnson also said that after the Jugs were fitted with the 4 bladed paddle props they were able to not only out zoom the spits but maintain a higher sustained rate of climb as well.

Yeah, Johnson's Jug would do that.  Don't forget many of these guys had crew chiefs who modded their planes for increased performance, especially with the D model P-47.  Johnson's Jug would pull much more boost than your factory Jug, so it would accellerate, climb, and dive better than what we have in AH.  Pratt & Whitney, I believe, even sent guys around to the squadrons showing the wrenches how to make some of these mods once they knew the engines could handle it.  Maybe Widewing or one of the other history buffs will jump in here and fill in the details, but you see my point.

I would love to see a "field mod" Jug as a perk option.  That or just give me my 47-M or N already!  :)