Author Topic: Does Aces High Enhance Highway Driving?  (Read 469 times)

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
Does Aces High Enhance Highway Driving?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2002, 05:55:36 AM »
Originally posted by DmdBT
Yeah but if a passenger suddenly loses consciousness does everyone in the car black out too?

Reminds me of that time-tested joke:

"When  die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep as Grandpa did, and not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car."
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Re: Does Aces High Enhance Highway Driving?
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2002, 07:37:39 AM »
Originally posted by Halo

So should insurance companies reduce auto premiums for Aces High members?  Aces High has to rate greater savings than steering wheel locks.

LOL

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2002, 09:46:32 AM »
good one biguc

Come to mention it, determining energy states has started to happen on the fly too, but I have found this one can cause more problems...  Occasionally I find my self not hitting the brake but swerving just cause I wanna keep my e up.  for absolutely no reason...  My fiance does not seem to buy my "dont worry honey, that is a 65 ford full size truck with drums all the way around, I will be able to stop long before he can since my volvo has four wheel discs and weights much less (as I mindlessly tailgate in bumper to bumper traffic on 495 doing 70 mph) ."

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2002, 10:16:19 AM »
I think the biggest problem I have with taking my AH skills to freeway is trying to keep the cars in the oncoming traffic lane in front of my 9:00/3:00 line.  Those merges are tuff!

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2002, 12:49:22 PM »
Yeah.. I keep looking pair rockets that pop out of the head lights the Z3 in James Bond..

Can't seem how to fit these in my Miata....

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2002, 01:08:42 PM »
Not sure which came frist my skill with a stick or with a wheel
But think I gained wheel skill after playing AH for a few years .. so maybe it helped hehe

( I mean real skill not the way any idiot drives a car)

Any of you love the San Antonio Austin 35 corridor.. luckly Texans are decent drivers .. most of them (VT drivers Suck bellybutton (no traffic to train them)

Anyway had the turnlight moron thing happend (no crash)
Had the 2 lane crossover to stop and turn left right infront of me(no crash)
The no accleration ramps, some people shouldn't even try to get on tho's, can be scary when you you have stupid guy on highway and one mergeing in (these are made in road work areas, temp on ramps)-(no crash)
etc etc....
anyway the only crash I ever got in was like this:
sitting at a Whataburger(see told you i'm texan) stuck behind traffic for two lights or so[can't get out of the parkign lot]   a good fella finally waves me in(he in big white van) so I pull out boom!
Car behind white van floors the gas and pulls around the van in impatiance...(shakes head)

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2002, 01:11:18 PM »
I'm glad to see this post. I thought I was the only one who relived my simm experiences on the highway:D  Whenever I'm in a car I inevitably find myself wondering: "If this were an airplane in AH, which one would it most resemble." For example: I tend to think of our Honda CR-V as a F6F, or even a F4F. When I'm in a pickup truc, it's really an A20, C47 or a BUFF (depends on the size of the truck, and how it handles with th load I'm carryin). Anyone else havin these kinds of fantasies? (I know some of you are sicker'n me, so I don't want to hear 'bout those sick dreams):p

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2002, 03:09:54 PM »
Here's one for ya's......it's true too

Early last week I was on my to work, going the usuall route, the usuall speed. I was being a good driver, keeping track of my surroundings. I then noticed the license plate of the car in front of me. The first 3 characters were P51.....at the very instant of recognizing that sequence of characters I looked up out my windshield and to the left in order to scan for higher cons. I usually lookup+left and scan clockwise until I get back to up+left. I noticed this behaviour when I got to up+right and realised "I'm not playing AH right now." *sigh* I couldn't believe what I just caught myself doing, when noticing an Icon designating a plane-type (usually means nme based on icon settings) I instinctively started my SA sequence before engaging.

Hi, my name is Robert and I play AcesHigh.
[group] Hi Robert

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2002, 06:30:30 PM »
actually i was thinking about this tonight on the way home from work......

found myself daydreaming of my LW monster running down a runstang and almost hit another car!!!!!!! :D:D:D

seriously .. i find i now think about the road less. i am an excellent driver (dad lets me drive slowly on the driveway)

in the reverse has anyone ever gotten "target locked" on that arse who cut you off (like he shot at you badly and just NEED to spank him outta the sky) and just wanted to run him down regardless of who else is around :D:D:D
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2002, 02:50:49 AM »
It doesn't do anything for my street driving, but driving the mower has a whole new meaning, especially when it comes to fire ant mounds. VULTCH!

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2002, 03:38:20 AM »
Actually, some scientist claimed a while back that video games actually improved the reflexes on kids.

Personally, I find this to be VERY true. I started playing pc games (ive never been much into consoles) at 14. Before that you could be swinging a baseball bat at my face and I wouldnt dodge it... now today people are amazed at how quickly and how CORRECTLY i react to situations by reflex action.

Like the driving example. Many times ive been >< this close to getting hit head-on by some love muffin that cant keep his car on his own 2-way lane and ive avoided them by a slight, instantaneous move to the side.... without even getting excited, panicked or scared (but MIGHTY pissed off afterwards). I'd say that many people wouldve either jerked the car hard to a side (as ive seen my parents and "older generation" folks do) or just frozen.

And in other little things in life! How many of ye are strategy gamers? Any of ye realized you can easily find yourself organizing entire situations "in queue" and anticipating things you might need to do and mentally being ready for it?  Ive cought myself so many times by having the solution to a group-problem whole minutes before anyone else.. AND knowing who to tell to do what , when and where to get the thing done. You chop wood, you mine gold, you get busy building that hut..we got any dragons yet?

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2002, 01:17:06 PM »
Originally posted by OIO
You chop wood, you mine gold, you get busy building that hut..

LOLOLOL someone has played AOE too much :)
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline FTSeeker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flying-tigers.org
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2002, 02:37:48 PM »
The only problem I have is when looking at the sign down the road and I cant read it... I'm looking for the zoom key.

:eek:

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2002, 04:13:12 PM »
I wouldn't doubt it. Almost had a wreck the other morning. My wife and I were going to observe an inspection on a house we're thinking about buying. She had woke me up about 15 minutes before. I was crossing an intersection when a white pick-up came flying from the right. I hit the brakes so fast it even scared me. :D We barely stopped in time (less than a foot I'd guess). My wifes coffee covered the entire dash. Funny thing was I saw the truck, hit the brakes, saw the guys face who was driving the truck in front of me, looked left to make sure he really was running a red light, looked back forward to see the bed of the truck go by, all in about a second. Best part was I didn't need to check my 6 because I already did. :p
« Last Edit: November 10, 2002, 05:07:56 PM by BNM »