Author Topic: Film Viewer  (Read 750 times)

Offline Berra85

• Copper Member
Film Viewer
« on: December 15, 2002, 04:58:34 PM »
Is it just mine that takes ages to load or is it everyone elses aswell?

Offline ICKID

• Copper Member
Film Viewer
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 04:35:11 PM »
You are not alone on that one.  I have noticed that even once the viewer is loaded that some files open in seconds and others take up to 30 or 40 seconds, no rime or reason to it.

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
Film Viewer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 05:29:22 PM »
Mine takes for ever to load but when it does it just crashes everything.   No one has even given me a clue as to why.   Everything had been reinstalled including DirX.   Loads but as soon as it loads up the Pizza map, it crashes.   In game viewer works fine so does everthing else.   With the last upgrade of AH I deleted everything, cleaned out the registry, deleted the old directories.   Made sure there weren't any old DLL files hanging around.   Loaded new version up, tried out the film viewer.   Soon as the pizza map loaded it crashed everythng again.

Offline ICKID

• Copper Member
Film Viewer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 04:55:19 PM »
DirX what version, I understand that V9 is out and may contain some bugs.  I have not experienced problems with the viewer once it loads, however the load process does take up to 30 to 50 seconds, but runs well after that.

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
Film Viewer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2003, 07:12:49 PM »
Ok here is my problem.   This all started after I updated my video drivers for my video card.   At first I thought maybe it was the new drivers and went back to the older drivers.   After the viewer loaded it would simply crash and cause my system to reboot.   So I just quit using the viewer and reinstalled the newer drivers again.  
I finally updated to DirX 9.0 and installed the new drivers for my video card to use the new DirX version.   I have to point out here that I have had no problems with anything else in the game with the new drivers.   AH with my video card now runs very smooth now.    Getting back to the film viewer though, with the last release of the game I started to do the up date off line.   Everything went smooth till it came time to update the film viewer.  
An error came up saying that the current film viewer was not the correct one and it couldn't update it.   Well here I thought is the problem.   Some how the wrong viewer got installed.   So I deleted AH completely, cleaned out the registry, made sure all left over DLL's were remove, and reinstalled AH again.    The first thing I try is to run the Film Viewer.  
It loads up and once again as soon as the Pizza map loads into the viewer screen, it crashes.    Loading time is generally about 45-50 seconds.   Soon as the viewer crashes it causes my system to reboot.   I have tried different compatiblity modes with XP but nothing works.   Now here is the kicker to the problem.   If I rename the Pizza terrain so it can't be loaded, the viewer loads in 15-20 seconds and does not crash.  
Only problem is it will not function once it's loaded, ie won't run any films.    Some how I feel there is more of a relationship between the Pizza terrain and the crashing or slow load times.    Would be nice if the viewer just loaded up with a blank screen instead of a terrain that really isn't needed to be loaded in the first place.   Would decrease the load time and save on memory requirements to load.  
So to date the film viewer is useless on my end.   I would really like to get it working again and any help would be greatly appreciated.

OS Windows XP Home Edition
Processor GenuineIntel 2018 Mhz
MB ASUS P4B266
BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ACPI BIOS Revision 1003
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB

Adapter Type Radeon 9700AGP (ND)
Driver Version 5.1.2600.0
DirectX Version 9.0

SC Creative Live
Driver 5.12.01.0636

Offline ICKID

• Copper Member
Film Viewer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2003, 04:53:47 PM »
Suggest you send a copy of this post to the techsupport at AH along with the output of DXdiag.

good luck

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
Film Viewer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 10:26:02 PM »
Well I finally got the external film viewer to work.   Now it loads much faster and is usable once again.   Had to do some minor tweaking on my system to optimize it, then renamed the AKDesert terrain.  
This time for some reason the viewer loaded up with the old default map that use to load before the coming of the AK map.   I am also running the Viewer in the Win98/ME compatibility mode.   I always felt the problem with the viewer on my system was the AK map, now I know it for sure :).