Author Topic: People who fly underground  (Read 719 times)

Offline Blunt o

• Zinc Member
People who fly underground
« on: June 24, 2001, 05:48:00 PM »
I keep seeing people flying underground in H2H games.  It's pretty lame, and I wish there was something I could do to stop it

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2001, 07:53:00 PM »
Hi Blunt,
It's not something that people can intentionally do. Your system gets updates from the server at a rate anywhere from milliseconds up to several whole seconds, depending on net status. During those periods where your system is not getting updates, it extrapolates the last known directions, attitudes, speeds, etc, of the cons in your view.
So if you dive at the ground, and pull up quick, you didn't go underground on your end. Someone watching you may not be getting quick updates, so they will see you go underground momentarilly.
My words may not be the most accurate, but that is the general explanation.

<S>
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2001, 09:12:00 PM »
Each host has its own connection... some of them are good... and some are not good for me... I know a few guys who host a pretty fast sessions for me.. Those are CptKID, Zapkin.. havent seen ArtLaws hosting lately... Anyway see wich host is the best for you and try to join them....

Good luck

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Dmitry ]

Offline Blunt o

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2001, 08:02:00 AM »
uhm, are you sure there isn't some sort of cheat?

I had guys vulching me on the runway by climbing up to me from below.  I looked all around me and there was nothing in the sky.  Then I looked down and I had 2 planes climbing up to shoot me from underneath.  This is crazy.

I also have a very fast cable modem, and I saw no warping.... leading me to believe it was NOT lag.

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2001, 08:47:00 AM »
I saw this happen yesterday for the first time. Planes spawned in the middle of a grass field underground. There was no field visible to me at that point.

Dogfighting took place underground all the time.. It never happened to me before I installed the beta version. Is there a relation?

I also witnessed 50% underground flight when viewing a film recorded by mandoble and his friends.. It must be a bug.

Same thing happens with both the dx8 beta and regular AH version.

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: MrRiplEy ]

Offline Blunt o

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
Is it some sort of cheat?
because my bullets hit the ground, and theirs hit me

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2001, 09:14:00 AM »
It must be a bug because I witnessed several people flying underground all the time.

If they fly below ground, just stay high and let them climb to you.