Author Topic: Eat me Farrari  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2004, 08:21:33 AM »
I would say there are alot of other differences between pro-track and road cars. The difference in weight alone (and specifically how much weight can be removed compared to your competitor's machines) is significant. Then there's all the one-off engineering that goes into your racing car that replaces the mass produced stuff of production cars. Have you never played Gran Turismo? ;)

Engine placement opinion is relative. You can do things with a RR car you cant in others - the inverse is also true, of course.

Like finding yourself heading backwards into the nearest tree because your Beetle on steroids has all its mass concentrated in its arse. :) Having said that, that recent,  top of the range turbo Porsche with the AWD makes that much less of a problem apparently.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2004, 08:36:40 AM »
the change from plowing understeer to uncontrolable oversteer has allways put me off porches..  I want somthing with more power coming out of the turns or going uphill too..

the 911 had the worst fuel injection ever in their first models... nothing looks worse than a porche with a puddle under it and halft the top of the engine off with alll the faded paint and interior that looks like you raised racoons in it.  That is the porche nightmare that a lot of friends of mine faced.  

lazs

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2004, 08:58:06 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2

the 911 had the worst fuel injection ever in their first models...

I heard the mechanical Kugelfischer in BMW 2002tii was real pain in the ass.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2004, 05:09:59 PM »
Porsche 911 series cars have always been above average road handling cars. Driving a VW bug is like driving a sheet of metal with four wheels on it. Zero handling qualities period.

I've Driven 911T, 911, 911S, SC, Carrera, Turbos, Gray market Turbos, etc... I thought they all handled very well. Havent driven the new ones. Come around a turn, gentle liftoff, no affect. Hard abrupt lift off, rear comes around a bit. Its suppose ot be like that. Put the gas down and the rear hooks up. All cars should be like that. Anyone who has driven at high speed knows that you steer with the gas pedal not the steering wheel so Porsches are intuative in ragards to driving (the correct way).

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2004, 09:58:24 AM »

After nearly half a century of continuous production, the Caterham Seven British two-seater sportscar continues to re-write the record books.

The Surrey based firm’s flagship Superlight R500 road car has broken its own world record for speeding from a standing start to 100mph and then breaking back to zero again in a time of just 11.25 seconds. This compares to its 11.44 seconds performance in 2002, and the previous best time of 11.5 seconds set by the £750,000 McLaren F1 LM sportscar in 1999. The hand-built Superlight R500, which boasts 500bhp per tonne, costs just £36,200.

In the record breaking run, which requires perfect gear change and weather conditions, Colin Chapman’s legendary design sped to 60mph in 3.47 seconds (three hundredths slower than last year), got up to 100mph in a stunning 7.26 seconds (half a second quicker than previously!) and then came to an abrupt halt in less than four seconds later.

The record was set during Autocar magazine’s annual review of some of the world’s quickest cars at the Bruntingthorpe airfield, Leicestershire. Ben Oliver, road test editor of Autocar said: “Once again, Caterham and Autocar have raised the bar; we doubt that even Michael Schumacher aboard an Enzo (Ferrari) would beat our 11.25 sec time in the R500. It will take a whole new kind of car to improve significantly on that.”

Simon Nearn, managing director of Caterham Cars, took a different view. He explained: “This is the best example of why the Caterham can be genuinely viewed as one of the safest cars on the road. Engineering and design is not just about speed and performance, the ability to accelerate out of trouble, and stop on a sixpence safely is unmatched. There is nothing as nimble and quick as a Seven.”

Incredible as it may seem, Jez Coates, technical director of Caterham Cars, believes the R500 can go quicker. “This is as much about the performance of the car, and the technical ability of the driver. We’ve not reached the limits of both yet…who knows sub-11 seconds may even be possible.”

The Caterham Seven celebrates its thirtieth anniversary this year after Colin Chapman’s Lotus firm handed over the rights to the former dealer in 1973.

Prices start from £15,200 for the 1.4 litre Classic.

Just found this out, never realised Caterham held the record.

Source

Caterham Superlight
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2004, 11:02:03 AM »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you