Author Topic: Sad Day for the Buccaneers ...  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Sad Day for the Buccaneers ...
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2000, 02:25:00 AM »
Salute! Whitey

Condolence to the family  

We lost one of us.

------------------
Naso
4° Stormo Caccia "F.Baracca"
L'è Buna!!

Offline VoX

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2000, 06:29:00 AM »
<S> May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
Shoot! I smell Zack! Doom's a Fairy, Jimmy's a drunk, RT is very suspicious!
how do I start my engine...no seriously, How?

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2000, 09:28:00 AM »
My condolences  

blitz

lackey

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2000, 10:31:00 AM »
Whitey was one of those rare people that you are fortunate to meet.  He changed our outlook and enriched our lives, "...a 20 year old trapped in a 62 year old body."

Whitey and I flew many times together, riding in his T-6 or C-45, the DOW airplane, sport biplanes, Warbirds, AH.  We've spent many hours talking about flying and life in general.  We met at an FBO counter in Colo Spgs, CO, in 1994.  He was filling up the DOW C-185 and I'd just jointly purchased a sport biplane with some military buddies.  As usual with Whitey, a friendly conversation started.  Before we parted at that first meeting, we'd agreed that Whitey would teach me how to fly a taildragger in exchange for my sharing my experiences and showing him some air combat tactics.  That was the beginning of a great friendship.

His enthusiasm for living and caring was hard to match.  A short time ago he said, "Mike, I only have one regret in life...I never got to fly a P-51..."  He smiled and looked away...

If ever there was a reincarnate fighter pilot from WWII, it was Whitey.  He'd have been an ace and a national hero.  He's certainly a hero in anyone's eyes who ever shared their life with him.  Only two weeks ago he was talking about another motorcycle trip and where he'd fly this month.  I think he knew he'd "brief it but never fly it."  Phyllis, his wonderful wife, has been his confidant and spirit.  She was always there and has always shared and supported his zest for life and adventure.

Phyllis and the family, our prayers and support.

Whitey, I know you're probably working on that P-51 ride right now...

Knfe Out

lackey

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2000, 11:39:00 AM »
I am the son of knfe or as called by the group "little knfe"  I have known whitey for 4 years when I began flying with him in the Fantasy Flight group.  He actually got me started by loaning my one of his uniforms, a  picture I could never forget.  He told me "don't get use to it kid, your gonna have to get your own."  Well I have and whitey, you sure have made me a collector.

When I think of whitey I see those times at oshkosh when whitey is telling one of his stories about dropping fish into the Colorado lakes.  When would spend so many hours in the front of the C-45 talking about anything.  Whitey was the first man to let me try my hand at formation flying, and how whenever he saw me he would always call me "Tiger."  Whitey gave all of the members of Fantasy Flight a look into the past while preserving it in the present.  He gave us a way of doing of expressing our love of flying and in the airshows, passing our love on.  I remember the those little kids, sitting in the cockpit of the T-6, with the look of amasement and pure joy, because they knew where they were and they knew they wanted to fly, and that is why we did this.  Whitey gave many the inspiration to fly and to never give up on thier dreams he always told me I could do anything.

Well Whitey I guess the time has come for you to fly off into your sunset.  What you left behind for us in the many live you have touched will live on forever.  I will miss you, my hero

tiger

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2000, 01:32:00 AM »
Please check the thread entitled:

"In honor of Whitey, the CO of the Buccaneers"

for the time frame of his missing man and mass formation fly-by.

Thanks to everyone for their warm condolences and respects.

mark
a.k.a wabbit
The Engineering Officer
The Buccaneers
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Supercell

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2000, 07:54:00 AM »
Im very sorry to hear of this loss. My condolences to Whiteys family, the Bucs, and all his cyber friends. May the good memories he provided live on.
Salute!

Cell

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2000, 01:51:00 PM »

Whitey is standing up in the back row at the far right side.

[This message has been edited by wabbit (edited 10-07-2000).]
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...