Author Topic: BF-109 rant  (Read 634 times)

2 bucks

BF-109 rant
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2000, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the great posts...

However, one stands out.

Kats you evil genius!!!!

I think you made some good points.  Ditto on that post.  I wish I'd written it.

The only thing I can add is that...
A) I feel every weakness that the 109 posesses has been thoroughly studied, cataloged and reported.

B) On the other hand I have always felt that the weaknesses of allied aircraft or strategy or for that matter anything else are generally underplayed or underexplored.  

I don't think this has anything to do with WW2 in particular.  People tend to exagerate the strengths of the victor and the weaknesses of the loser no matter what the circumstance. It doesn't matter if you're talking about war, sports, business or politics.  It just seems to be the case.

my 2 cents

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
BF-109 rant
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2000, 11:01:00 PM »
Bucks you raise an excellent question.
Whos data is used to decide on the capabilies of these aircraft. To be fair we should only use German numbers. They had nothing to gain by overadvertising the capabilities of the AC. They were best equiped to make sure that the aircraft used for testing was in top form. They are least likly to have used the wrong lubricant in the turbocharger.  Also their numbers were generated on theater not in California.
I bet that German numbers covering the range of behaviors needed for an AH flight model are hard to come by, but presidence should be given to their numbers when available.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

chisel

BF-109 rant
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2000, 01:17:00 AM »
Neither Kurt Buhligen 112 ETO and Med nor Adolf Glunz 71 ETO were shot out of their planes.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
BF-109 rant
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2000, 07:59:00 AM »
Pongo-

I have to make one comment regarding the Germans and their need to "overadvertise". They embarked on a program to do exactly that. When visiting countries' representatives were led around factories, they were intentionally misinformed for the purpose of inflating their beliefs about German production. The He100 (a failed competitor to the 109) was touted as a frontline fighter and in mass production (neither of which was true). The Me209 (used as a one-off world speed record attempt craft) was supposedly a production fighter. Propaganda is always useful.  

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
BF-109 rant
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2000, 08:31:00 AM »
Those sneakys...Neither is a case that applies here or would invalidate their flight envelope numbers for our game puposes.
What I mean is like the late model 190 figures posted earlyer by Mino I believe. If those were thorough(sp) enough to make a FM from would we use them or some that Capt Spiff developed after the war?

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew