Author Topic: ME110-2 Outruns a P51-B Surprised  (Read 560 times)

Offline Leayme

• Copper Member
ME110-2 Outruns a P51-B Surprised
« on: July 04, 2004, 08:15:08 PM »
I certainly was, I made a hit and run raid on A4 and decided that it was time to leave after fighters showed up.

I made a rather sharp dive and skimmed the earth at full power and after cresting a rise blew thru more enemy fighters among which was a Mosquito, Mustang, Spit and I believe I also had several planes giving chase already.

The P51 and another plane gave chase, I continued on a straight line course and tried to maintain as low an altitude as possible and everytime there was a drop,valley, down a mountain side I dived and kept flying straight.

The P51 was about 2.5 in back of me and I could see the pilot (Aircow) diving and climbing trying to close and the closest that I saw him come was 2.0 and at times I pulled away a little. I amintaned a hedgehopping flight as much as possible and even flew under tree canopies at times.

The chase lasted till well south into Rook territory at a point well south of A22 where he broke off.

I was later shot down NW of A22 by Skatr in a P51,  he dived down on me and I was already on the deck and had suffered some damage from passing to close to a task force, so I don't know if I could have outran him if I had been able to shallow dive and use terrain features as before.

Now I don't know a lot about planes, ground vehicles being of more interest, but this was contary to everything I had ever heared about the Me110 and other fighters in general.

Did I get lucky?

What do you think?

Aircow I hope you saved that Screen shot and post it for all to see.

Thanks

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 01:07:37 AM »
That's what you get for running like that.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 07:47:37 AM »
I had a heck of a time chasing down a 110 in a la7 last week. Started 5k above him & about 5k out. He dove, I dove, turned into long treehugging chase.

I did eventually get him but not before he gets back to his field ack.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 09:43:35 PM »
Given enough time, a P-51B at an initial E deficit will catch the 110. Before the range drops too low, I'd suggest turning around and try for a kill shot on the merge. Why? Because the 110 has little chance against a P-51B, pilot skill being equal. If he catches you, the odds of survival are slim. Remember, it's always tougher to shake someone off your tail than it is for them to stay on your tail. Better a face to face stand up fight than trying to get a B-stang off your six when he's 1k back.

You were fortunate that this fellow chasing you did the old "climb and dive" routine trying to close faster. It doesn't work, you can never get more energy out than you put in. You always end up further behind than if you simply stayed level.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.