Author Topic: Question re Cannon convergence  (Read 274 times)

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Question re Cannon convergence
« on: September 14, 2004, 08:10:59 PM »
Have been flying the 190-a5 a little and have noticed something that seems a little odd  - is it my imagination , or the way things are supposed to be. I'm not really big on gun physics etc.

I have conv set to 250 on all guns.

What I have seen is that the closer I get to a target , the more I am missing.

So I went offline , and used the .Target command to see what was happening. If I have conv at 250 , and set target at 50 , the cannons hit way under the middle of the gunsight , but with target at 250 they hit roughly middle.

This implies that I need to allow for more cannon drop at 50 , than at 250. Does that seem right ? Shouldn't they be hitting high on the gunsight  at d50 if they were set for 250.

FW cannons are all new to me - just a 50 cal dweeb

I am confused
I come from a land downunder

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 08:19:14 PM »
ah it's ok

cannons are angled up ?  - so at d50 they haven't yet reached  their final point - and will be below.

Ok so just need to allow for it in future. Didn't seem quite as pronounced with 50 cal.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 08:26:49 PM by Redd »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 09:03:55 PM »
I fly the 190a5 often too.

Consider:
1) YOu are sitting HIGH on a tall beast.
2) Cannon have lobbed trajectory. 20mm aren't so bad, but 30mm are. For the A5 there's 20mms, and you have to consider that they are aimed IN and they are aimed UP so that the round will shoot OUT, UP, reach an apex then fall DOWN to land at the bullseye for your convergence.

However, they are much lower than you, as they begin on the wings themselves. Personally I find convergences unrealistic. There's no way you could set gun convergence to 50 or 150. The guns would be 45 degrees inward, and they had only so much room for adjusting. HOwever, suspending disbelief, imagine that they start at the gun barrels on a straight lin to the bullseye. Even with that assumption (which is false) the bullseye is aimed to the cockpit. So that means at any given range the guns shoot UP. So the closer you get the lower the rounds, because you're cutting them off before they reach full height.

Think of a right triangle. It's got a fixed height and width. If you follow the line the full way it will reach its full height. However, if you stop halfway down the line it will be much lower than the full length allows.

So hitting targets super close does the same thing. Compensate if you're THAT close. Mostly however i've not had too much trouble with that.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 09:38:17 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I fly the 190a5 often too.

Consider:
1) YOu are sitting HIGH on a tall beast.
2) Cannon have lobbed trajectory. 20mm aren't so bad, but 30mm are. For the A5 there's 20mms, and you have to consider that they are aimed IN and they are aimed UP so that the round will shoot OUT, UP, reach an apex then fall DOWN to land at the bullseye for your convergence.

However, they are much lower than you, as they begin on the wings themselves. Personally I find convergences unrealistic. There's no way you could set gun convergence to 50 or 150. The guns would be 45 degrees inward, and they had only so much room for adjusting. HOwever, suspending disbelief, imagine that they start at the gun barrels on a straight lin to the bullseye. Even with that assumption (which is false) the bullseye is aimed to the cockpit. So that means at any given range the guns shoot UP. So the closer you get the lower the rounds, because you're cutting them off before they reach full height.

Think of a right triangle. It's got a fixed height and width. If you follow the line the full way it will reach its full height. However, if you stop halfway down the line it will be much lower than the full length allows.

So hitting targets super close does the same thing. Compensate if you're THAT close. Mostly however i've not had too much trouble with that.

Thanks Krusty , yeah I figured it out after asking the question.

Think it's the need to get in close in Ah2 that I've actually noticed it- and the switch of planes to cannon from 50 cal. I don't use tracers so hadn't realised "where" I was missing -  hadn't thought that i was missing low.

All makes sense now, thanks for the reply