Author Topic: Brush with Greatness  (Read 1218 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2004, 04:54:11 PM »
Wow, you had drinks with Grinder Girl? We may have a winner.:aok
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2004, 05:25:13 PM »
Cool stories.

I met a lot of celebs when I was teaching special ed and working the Special Olympic circuit.

The coolest guy was Sandy Koufax.. he is a freakin chain smoker.. or was in the early 80's.

Jeff Bridges was a very nice guy. He came up to our school to suppport the special olympics (a 300 mile drive for him). I asked him why he came so far.. he said "Because you asked me."

My best one is when I tried to make time with Maureen McCormick. (Marsha Marsha Marsha). We were standing next to each other about to walk onto the field for a parade. She was very nice, I was 23 and completely stupid. I actually asked her how old she was! Doh!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2004, 06:27:39 PM »
my Grandfather

Director of the office of Price Stabilization Under President Truman (1950-52).

Mayor of the City of Toledo, Ohio (1948-50).

60th governor of Ohio (1959-63).
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2004, 06:38:07 PM »
Well, I don't know how great it is, but since you mentioned Mr.T...

Jammed with grammy award winning blues artist Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown in 1996 in a Pearl River, La. nightclub. I also met Sheryl Crow.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2004, 06:52:39 PM »
I have a personal relationship with God.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2004, 06:55:08 PM »
My dad and Audie Murphy were best friends and ran together in their youth. Audie stayed with my dad and grandparents for a while. I got to meet him when I was younger.

Shook hands and BS`s with Jimi not too long before his death.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2004, 07:05:16 PM »
*1958, age 1:  Parents bought their first house in Falls Church, VA from Colonel Cole, General Doolittle's co-pilot for the Tokyo raid.

*1962-3, age 5-6:  Saw President Kennedy at Andrews AFB.  Was part of crowd welcoming him; he passed about 10 feet away accompanied by a pretty stewardess, of course!

*1965?, age 8:  Shook President Johnson's hand at a White House gathering.  I remember this         HUGE hand coming down to gently shake my little hand.

*1969, age 12:  Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia...before an afternoon game between the Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies, I got to go down on the field and meet future Cubs' Hall-of-Famer Ernie Banks, since we were both first basemen.  Nice guy.  I have a ball signed that day by Banks, Leo Durocher, Billy Williams, and Ron Santo.

*1970?, age 13:  Met South Vietnamese Vice President Nguyen Cao Ky at a taping of "Meet the Press".  We shook hands after the show, and he said he thought my F-111 tie clasp was pretty cool.  Its wings actually would swing back and forth, just like the real thing.

*1974, age 17:  Accompanied Japanese son of family friend to Austin, TX to visit his god-father, LBJ advisor, Walt Rostow.  Had lunch with "Lady Bird" Johnson at the LBJ Ranch (this was after President Johnson's death).  She drove us and Rostow's Yalie daughter around the ranch in her Cadillac, followed by two Secret Service agents in another car.  I asked her how many acres she had, and she said, "Not very many, only about 10,000."  Texans, they think differently, don't they?  Rostow's daughter and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes.

*1974, age 17:  Saw President Nixon at a Washington, DC hotel lobby.  He was there to show his support for famine relief in Africa.  A bunch of high school kids visiting Washington were tipped off that he would be there and started singing "God Bless American" as he came through, shaking their hands.  This was during Watergate and he probably really needed the positive vibes.  In person, he didn't look so good.  Very drained and haggard.

*1979-80, age 23-24:  Egyptian President Anwar Sadat drove by some friends and me while we stood on a street corner in the Georgetown section of Washington.  There was no traffic around, and his limo drove by slowly and made a turn about 15 feet away.  His window was down and he was right there; we waved and yelled "Hello President Sadat!", and he waved back and smiled.  He had almost no security with him; within a year or two he would be assasinated in Egypt.

*early '80s, mid 20's:  Stood next to Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas in a men's room at some Washington reception.  It could have been an awkward moment, but I told him I had recently read one of his books, and had enjoyed it very much.

==========

There are many more, but with less well-known people.  These are some of the more interesting encounters.

MRPLUTO

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2004, 07:26:30 PM »
I Pe'ed on Sally Stars Lap in the early 60's

NUTTZ

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2004, 07:40:03 PM »
I got into a street race with Robert Conrad in Boca Raton back in the mid-80s.  I was driving a buddy's Ferrari 308GTS and Conrad was in a MB 500SEC.  I kicked his prettythang...he looked like he had just sucked a lemon his face was so contorted.

Rode in an elevator with Maddona in an Atlanta hotel just as she was making it big.

Stood in line with Nigel Mansell and his kid at a Burger King in Tampa area.

Offline Scatcat

• Copper Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2004, 10:41:51 PM »
Met Antonin Scalia once in Chicago.

Offline Seraphim

• Nickel Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2004, 12:32:09 AM »
Got to hang out & drink lotsa beer with some vets from U.S.S. Enterprise at the HiTech con this year

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2004, 01:01:35 AM »
Summer 1996 at the corner of Tropicana and Las Vegas Blvd I was waiting for the light and Elvis crossed the street right in front of me!

Really!

I saw him!
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Brush with Greatness
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2004, 02:22:22 AM »
I saw President Kennedy fly over in his helicopter.  I got through several rings of security to see President Reagan pass by in his limo and finally I got within feet of President Clinton.

I missed seeing the Pope by oversleeping.

I nodded to Peter O'Toole passing him in the street.  I had lunch at the next table to Mick Jagger.  

I worked alongside Pierce Brosnan, Julianne Moore, Ewan McGregor and a number of lesser entities. lol.  

I sat in Joel Schumacher's director's chair and watched him direct. I was supposed to be beaten up by Timothy Hutton but that was cancelled when I was late.  I was roughed up by a couple of other actors though.

I have worked alongside three Oscar winners.  The last as recently as Friday with Neil Jordan (The Crying Game) in another movie where one of the main actors dresses as a woman.
:eek:
Yes It's a glamourous life as a movie and TV extra..
 :cool: :lol :rolleyes: