Author Topic: Burn Burn Burnin Ring of B24s  (Read 824 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Burn Burn Burnin Ring of B24s
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2004, 09:16:03 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Ive found that if my B24 is set afire, it will burn anywheres from 5 to unlimited burn time. Usually it will burn up within 5-10 mins though...unless...my pilot is wounded. Of all the times my pilot is wounded and the plane is burning at the same time, the pilot wound seems to supersede the fire as a damage effect...and the blackouts of the wound seem to want to play out before letting the fire kill me. Weird I know, but thems the facts thusfar.

I attacked BJ229's B24 form a couple of nights ago. Set the lead plane on fire in the first pass. Before I had completed a loop for a 2nd pass, it had blown up. On the 2nd pass, I set another on fire. I got killed, but, checked with BJ and it blew up shortly after I died.

Could it be that burning planes are like fuel and gas leaks...some are fast and some are slow?
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Gwjr2

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 09:20:04 AM »
Last night I hit a flight got left and right drone burning then RTBd
but saw 2 explode after a min or 2 maybe they fixed. both had right inboard on fire though.
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 01:33:42 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Yes I've seen several b24's that I've hit with multiple 37mm rounds (Yak9T) fly away burning showing no real ill effects for 5 - 10 minutes.

Granted a bomber should take longer to burn up than a fighter. But 5 minutes burn time at speed should be enough to start getting engines to drop off, and start weaking the main spar. Not to mention interfereing with aileron  use on that side.

Or at least burn its way to the fuel tanks or something.  I find it hard to believe you can catch something like that on fire and that fire wouldn't hit the fuel, or the ammo sometime.

You guys are right... maybe they looked into it and fixed it.  I don't fly bombers much, and I don't think I've seen this in a week or so.  We'll have to see what it looks like in the future.