Author Topic: Burn Burn Burnin Ring of B24s  (Read 825 times)

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Burn Burn Burnin Ring of B24s
« on: November 19, 2004, 01:39:40 AM »
Anyone else notice that you can tear up a 24, get it burning, and it will just burn forever?  I've done this to several, and I even landed one that was burning on 2 engines.  Must've flown that way for 15 minutes or so.  If this happens in a fighter your wing will eventually fall off.  I know B24s are tough.. but come on the "magical" fire is a little unbelievable...

Anyone else seen this?

Good work on the patches btw HTC staff!  The prop on the B26 does look a little funny now though  :D

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 02:47:51 AM »
ive seen it and been in one lasted for at least 10 mins on fire, nd landed.

bug
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 06:32:20 AM »
Occasionally I notice the fire is displayed incorrectly, and appears to come out of the front of the engine, as if the plane were flying backwards.  Closing distance solves this, though.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 06:47:42 AM »
This isn't just limited to B24's it too all bombers- b24s just seem to flame the easiest.  If a drone is set on fire it will never blow up.  If the lead bomber dies and the player switches to the bomber which is on fire it wont blow up, however if you cause further fires on the bomber it will have an effect.  

I shotup some b24s several days ago and 2 b24s had 3 fires between them.  I ran out of ammo so landed to re-arm and subsequently dive bombed and killed by the flaming B24's.:D

I was planning to make a bug post but haven't had the time til now to make a post longer than a sentance.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 08:02:01 AM »
I find that if the lead bomber is set on fire it usually go's down but if a drone is set on fire it will fly for ever. At least thats what happenes to me in them.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 09:17:47 AM »
Any time I've been in a B24, it almost always seems to be that if the inner right catches fire... I'm as good as dead.  That engine is now my favorite target when hunting :D
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 12:14:53 PM »
Originally posted by Alpo
Any time I've been in a B24, it almost always seems to be that if the inner right catches fire... I'm as good as dead.  That engine is now my favorite target when hunting :D

Really?  I've never seen that one go up when burning.  Its gotten so I will quit aiming for the wings, and always attack from a high 6, and trying to rip the thing in half right behind the wings.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 11:45:50 PM »
B-24s have a glaring weakness. Attack them from above, aim for the fuselage where the wings join and BOOM, every time.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 01:24:35 AM »
IIRC real B24 were reported to have fire issues in the wings and centra fuselage by the bomb ays and wing roots.  Apparently they burned much more readilt than B17s in accounts I have seen from LW pilots too.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 02:15:45 AM »
kill the pilot not the plane, HO  ,if you shoot the cockpit, sometimes all 3 blow up in 1 pass,   Works better in 163B
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:21:27 AM by ghi »

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 09:22:22 AM »
Its much easier to salvo rockets into the formation then to try and set any one of them on fire. If you think it isn't effective ask Kevor or 999000 from tonight - 1 pass, all 3 - and it was ugly.

Wolf

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 11:44:36 AM »
It's time to add fire extuingishers

(hard to spell)

just like il-2

but make em 1 time use only

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 04:56:08 PM »
Ive found that if my B24 is set afire, it will burn anywheres from 5 to unlimited burn time. Usually it will burn up within 5-10 mins though...unless...my pilot is wounded. Of all the times my pilot is wounded and the plane is burning at the same time, the pilot wound seems to supersede the fire as a damage effect...and the blackouts of the wound seem to want to play out before letting the fire kill me. Weird I know, but thems the facts thusfar.

~AoM~

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 08:51:37 AM »
Yes I've seen several b24's that I've hit with multiple 37mm rounds (Yak9T) fly away burning showing no real ill effects for 5 - 10 minutes.

Granted a bomber should take longer to burn up than a fighter. But 5 minutes burn time at speed should be enough to start getting engines to drop off, and start weaking the main spar. Not to mention interfereing with aileron  use on that side.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 08:53:18 AM »
Originally posted by Engine
Occasionally I notice the fire is displayed incorrectly, and appears to come out of the front of the engine, as if the plane were flying backwards.  Closing distance solves this, though.

Drinking less solves this issue too.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --