Author Topic: Too high on approach  (Read 1390 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Too high on approach
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2005, 01:39:13 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
I'd say one  of the most fun approaches is down the potomac at Washington (now Ronald Reagan) National. The plane will be banking this and that way and for extra excitement you'll clearly see the faces of people looking up at you on the little viewing island.  

First time I ever rode that approach I thought we were gonna crash or something based on those people looking at us and pointing.

I hear Denver is also exciting to come in to.

Denver can get real exciting when you gotta go around in a heavy jet with an engine out.

Did I mention this was a fun post? :)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Too high on approach
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2005, 01:40:42 PM »
Originally posted by Howitzer
So as more runway passes by, I can see the black skid marks, and I'm still thinking we are high because we are nowhere near touching down yet, but I still shrug it off.  Next thing I know, the pilot must've realized it to and pushed the stick down because we hit so hard I swear my twig and berries are still lodged somewhere in my nasal canal.  How we didn't flatten a tire is beyond me.  

And to cap it off, the landing on the return trip was just about as bad...  We were also stuck on the plane for a minute because the little bridge thingy that connects to the terminal wasn't ready, so I was watching the baggage people unload the plane.  That is a fun time...  if you've never seen it, I'd recommend it.  The highlight was when the lady grabbed this bright orange cooler marked "BIOHAZARD" and tossed it like a sack of potatoes from the conveyor belt onto the blacktop where it slid about 5 feet before coming to an abrupt yet violent stop on the tire of the little tractor thing that hauls the luggage around.   Fantastic   :D

Porlly let the First Officer fly the legs. LOL
:rofl

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Too high on approach
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2005, 01:44:06 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Im shocked it took so long for someone to mention LaGuardia. Dad was a TWA/American pilot and that was his least favorite.

What part of St Louis are you from SA2? I lived in Edwardsville over on the east side for 6 years. My poor sister still lives there.

Real planes actually FLY into KLGA? hehehehe

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Too high on approach
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2005, 01:55:57 PM »
Originally posted by Bee
La Paz airport Bolivia. Not a special landing as in dangerous but because it felt like he kept engine throttle very high during approach. After thought... he should have ofcourse, landing at 13000 feet :D  

My dad flew into La Paz in the early '60s...whew! That's when engines were not quite so reliable.

A heavy jet goin outa KABQ in a hot night (airport elev 5330 ft) can be fun. Normal rotation speed is around 140 knots in a B727 but KABQ takeoff speeds can get up ato 175 knots. The 13,755 ft runway can sure get short at those speeds. Especially if ya have to do a rejected takeoff.....

BTW, why do you think all the bomber fields in WW2 were at sea level :D

Ren

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Too high on approach
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2005, 03:18:54 PM »
Originally posted by Howitzer
I'm from a little town called Staunton which is about 20 min. from Edwardsville, and 35 min from downtown St. Louis...  Kinda reminds me of Maybury  =)

Yup, I know where Staunton is too...:)

That was my exact impression of Edwardsville when I moved there. First time I drove down 159 into downtown Edwardsville I said "Where's Andy and Barney?".

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Too high on approach
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2005, 03:47:12 PM »
Denver isn't very fun, surrounded by farms its as flat as Nebraska except for the mountains a good ways away.  I think New Orleans was a pretty good one flying over the Mississippi on final I figured we'd be going for a swim.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Bee

• Zinc Member
Too high on approach
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2005, 05:23:44 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
My dad flew into La Paz in the early '60s...whew! That's when engines were not quite so reliable.

Your dad sure must have some stories to tell damnedren...

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
Too high on approach
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2005, 10:32:05 AM »
When we came back to the U.S. in 1957, we took a hop from Scotland to Nova Scotia in a 4-engine turbo prop(don't remember what type of plane). I was around 4 years old and I remember to this day getting sick as it was a rough ride. After our stop in N.S., we dropped down to La Guardia. I believe the flight took around 11 hours from Scotland to N.J.
     The most scenic ride I've been on is in a twin engine flying boat from Honolulu to Princeville(Kauai). We flew right down the middle of the valley on Kauai and it was absolutely gorgeous(and a little bumpy).

;)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Too high on approach
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2005, 10:54:24 AM »
There are a couple of "white knuckle" approaches as rated by the ALPA. Atlanta is in there somewhere, #1 is San Diego every year. To the best of my knowledge it s the only airport you need to be certified to land at seperately. Further if you arent "current" (30 days) you need to recertify. The reason is the combination of a 6 degree decent (noise restrictions) and a parking garage on final right off the runway. Basically your flying down the slope of the hill dropping the plane over the edge of the parking garage onto the runway....

The worst I've seen ever is Brazil (also some of the best pilots)...I was on one flight that aborted the landing at Sau Paulo 6 times before he got it on the ground in literally zero Visability (couldnt see wingtips sitting on the ground (737-500). Since my understanding is that CAT-2 requires 300 yds vis or so on final I asked 1st officer what was up (I happened to be one of last folks off the bird...apparently the weather that rolled in had already shut down the 2 alternates and they didnt think they could make it farther with any margin...(also said was an even worse instrument landing).

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Too high on approach
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2005, 01:24:45 PM »
I believe Mexico City has seperate currency requirements for pilots as well.  There was a retired AA captain living in FL I had a chance to speak with and said his son was flying somewhere either in Mexico or South America for American at one point and listed certain procedures for it.  Circling approaches had to be flown in the airplane within a certain timeframe (maybe 90 days) or you were no longer current.