Author Topic: In seach of diversity  (Read 899 times)

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 12:59:52 PM »
I could give a Rat's rump about diversity but I love the idea of placing aircraft factories in the rear areas of each combatant. That would even get my a** into a bomber. You capture the factory you  get redundancy in your output - someone kills your Spit factory but you just captured a spare! Heck, have a factory for every late war plane in the game. If your in a Spit and your Spit factory gets flattened you better rearm instead of land or your plane gets put back into the pool for someone to grab.

This is a self managed "if you want it you got to fight for it" perk system. Imagine all the great hi-alt fights that will happen when you have to grab to 30K to fend off marauding hordes of enemy buffs hellbent on destroying your plane factory. We would see some different planes dominating the fight way up there for sure.

I'm here to tell you this idea would breathe life into the MA. I love it.

Magoo
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline mojo55

• Zinc Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 01:11:42 PM »
I remember a couple of players mention that HT added more weight (500lbs.) to the C-Hog around the time he perked it.
Anyone know if this was also done?

AmReo ..'MAW Consigliere'

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 01:46:55 PM »
diversity = da more u try and perk things di verse it will get.....

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
In seach of diversity
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 03:12:43 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Maybe a rolling perk set. For example, in week 1, perk everything outside of 1939-42 and as the years become later and later, the perks become higher and higher. So, flying a 1945 aircraft in week 1 would cost you more than flying one in week 3.

Hmm.. This is a new one to me, and something that I think is a good compromise... I'd like to see this one tried out.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
In seach of diversity
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Think about it, if you are good and fly smart, what could possibly stop you if you are in a D9 or P51 or even a TYFFI?

What stops you in A P-51D is trying to get the kill on the spit that drags you to the deck. Sure, you can kill him, but now you have burned all your E and are on the deck with 2 more spits flying at you.

I shoot fairly well (usually 10%+ HP), but with the new gun model, it is hard to kill a maneuvering fighter with one guns pass. Usually you end up having to chase them down to finish the job or you get no kill credits....

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 04:05:28 PM »
Originally posted by Midnight
What stops you in A P-51D is trying to get the kill on the spit that drags you to the deck. Sure, you can kill him, but now you have burned all your E and are on the deck with 2 more spits flying at you.

:lol I said flying smart.  Chasing Spit on the deck without the support of a horde, not smart :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 04:12:03 PM »
Originally posted by Midnight

I shoot fairly well (usually 10%+ HP), but with the new gun model, it is hard to kill a maneuvering fighter with one guns pass. Usually you end up having to chase them down to finish the job or you get no kill credits....

(you know I hate it when someone beats me to the puch. :mad: dedalos! jk)

Anyway, What does this have to do with the current discussion? You would want someone elses plane choices restricted because you fly into a crowd of spits in a p51 and get low and slow? Like Dedalos said, that ain't smart flying!

What's wrong with the gun model? You can rip a spitfire to pieces with 6 50s!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 06:59:21 PM »
FF, by your own statements, one could also say that the perking of the chog took all those pilots from 1 plane type and put them into 4 or 5 others. I would call that an increase in diversity. The chog didn't go away; it was never removed, and no one forced those guys into different planes. The simple truth is, you guys who switched weren't willing to risk even the token perk price to continue flying it. The diversity was always there, but the pilots limited it.

If everything is perked, everything will be flown as the few perkplanes are currently flown by the majority. To an old hand whose had an account for years, losing a few thousand perks in a week isn't a big deal. To a relative new comer with only a few hundred or thousand perks, losing all of them and being stuck in an a6m2 for most of a tour would not be all that fun.
Perking everything, or everything past year X, would only limit the newer players, not the vets. I know you guys want to face a bunch of n00bs in early war planes who can't put up much of a fight(well, I do anyway), but that would be both horribly unfair and an extremely bad business move for HTC.

I wanted to add, as the tone of the post seems stern, that I'm not trying to poopoo anyone's ideas.  Nothing HTC can do will ever restore gameplay to the way it was in early AH1. The players could, at any time, forego the late war planes and start flying nothing but a6m2s. However, you can deduce that they don't want much diversity, they don't want to fly different planes. They want fast and well armed, and they want to fly in packs. Gameplay has never been up to HTC, its always been the community's responsibility. Remember when the ENY limiter was added to promote balance? What happened? 2 or 3 squads started rotating, and a few of the lone wolf types started moving around, but mostly we just got hordes of B ponies and 205s instead of Ds and 190s. Human nature is just that, and HTC can't change it with some lines of code. This is the path he chose for the game, and this is the one we followed him down.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 07:08:39 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
In seach of diversity
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 07:01:52 PM »
Originally posted by mojo55
I remember a couple of players mention that HT added more weight (500lbs.) to the C-Hog around the time he perked it.
Anyone know if this was also done?

AmReo ..'MAW Consigliere'

If I remember correctly, the weight wasn't added so much as corrected. The pre-perk Chog was 500 lbs. light.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
In seach of diversity
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 08:16:38 PM »
Divide the map into eras.

One corner for early war, one corner for later war.  Also make some bases un-capturable.

I think the map could handle it.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 08:55:53 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
Couldnt agree more.

I am sorry, but I disagree with a rolling plane set in the MA.
I think I missed something!  :D

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 09:13:13 PM »
All this talk about "Try it in the CT, or try it in a different arena" is crap.  People play for numbers.  

If Arena A has the set up exactly like Joe Bob loves, it will still never actually have Joe Bob in there if Arena B has 300 more people.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline gnubee

• Copper Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2005, 12:10:39 AM »
I gotta back Cooley on this one...
I loved the RPS of WB2.  It totally changed the way the game was played... strategy from week to week was completly contingent on the weapon technology at hand.  Granted the first few day's were a total snooze fest, with little territory won or lost, but it certainly made you get creative when planning a mission...

Just my $.02

-dynamite