Author Topic: Range of 109 30mm cannon and a quick question  (Read 625 times)

Offline Big G

• Copper Member
Range of 109 30mm cannon and a quick question
« on: July 14, 2005, 10:55:38 AM »
Hi guys
What's the best range to open up with on the 30mm cannon on bombers and fighters ? And is it best to fire from the 6 or from the side ? ( slash I think it's called?)
On another note, I took a nikki up yesterday and tangled up with a guy in an la7, he starts to loop and dive (he had a d400 alt advantage), I start to loop and dive and was always a smidgen of a firing solution, I had more success when instead of following him on dives and loops, I turned opposite to his initial dive and found myself closing on his 6, again though, I just couldn't get round quick enough although I got him smoking and by that time another la7 snuck up on me and I was toast.
Think if I had stuck to my usual spit I would have had him. I should have filmed it but at the time all I could do was just try and corner him. Anyone got any ideas as to what I done wrong or could have done ?

I read somewhere on here about dropping flaps to get over the loop quicker, I'll have to take that to the TA with fuzeman and work on that to see if it works.
Cheers guys
Big G
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 10:57:56 AM by Big G »

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 07:31:55 AM »
Not an ace at all -- but have a tip. I dont fly with the 30s much because my gunnery isnt good enough for me to feel comfy with 65 rounds.

When I do, I set the convergence for the 30 to be about twice (600) my usual firing range(325). That way, the vertical component of convergence allows for the extra drop that the 30s get, and the 30 rounds hit pretty close to the non 30 rounds.

Test it offline -- use the .target 350 command, and a target will appear due north. It moves with your plane, and you vcan turn it off with .target 0.

As to angle for firing - -do what you're good at. Practice offline cutting across teh drone circle, and flying in the circle in the opposite direction -- both will greatly help your deflection shhoting. Against Bombers, ALWAYS slash, dont come from teh 6.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 11:31:07 AM »
With the tater gun I don't fire till they are filling my screen. Preferably when they are stalled or showing a nice profile shot. For long shots or high deflection I just use the MGs and hope to hit something vital to help slow my opponent down.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 09:41:36 PM »
For the 30mm, if you are attacking buffs, I come in from either high or low 6, it allows for an easier adjustment of aim if I miss. Head-on shots from 12'clock high are good too.

Dogfighting with a 30mm is like trying to hit a greased-up mime with a 80lb brick. You're going to have some misses unless you know how to throw it just right and when you do you'll either hurt them badly to the point of crashing or full on destruction.

Wait til you are close, d200 is great, d300 is good, d400 is tough. The 30mm is tough to use if you're new, I suggest practicing offline or at other newbie pilots.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 10:22:59 PM »
Originally posted by RTSigma
For the 30mm, if you are attacking buffs, I come in from either high or low 6, it allows for an easier adjustment of aim if I miss. Head-on shots from 12'clock high are good too.

Dogfighting with a 30mm is like trying to hit a greased-up mime with a 80lb brick. You're going to have some misses unless you know how to throw it just right and when you do you'll either hurt them badly to the point of crashing or full on destruction.

Wait til you are close, d200 is great, d300 is good, d400 is tough. The 30mm is tough to use if you're new, I suggest practicing offline or at other newbie pilots.

Sigma is good...Sigma is wise!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 05:03:35 AM »
Dont want to hijack the thread, but why is the 30mm of the 109 referred to as the "tater gun"?

Regards!

Offline Loddar

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 06:24:17 AM »
Because one hit of the 30mm cal. in AH
most tatter your plane.

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 06:34:48 AM »
Dange Loddar! :D

Offline Loddar

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 06:40:03 AM »
Bidde, gern geschehen, jederzeit wieder :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 06:44:36 AM »
Cause its like shooting big baked taters.

Hard to hit with, but deadly when you do.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 06:56:10 AM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
With the tater gun I don't fire till they are filling my screen. Preferably when they are stalled or showing a nice profile shot. For long shots or high deflection I just use the MGs and hope to hit something vital to help slow my opponent down.

Me, too.

- oldman

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 07:25:52 AM »
Ahhh just asked a US buddy :D
tater = potato LOL.....

Offline Loddar

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 08:14:24 AM »