Author Topic: About Adolf Hitler...  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
About Adolf Hitler...
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2001, 08:58:00 PM »
Quote:

"Genius has no requirment for sanity or stability cabby."

Duh.  

Hitler still doesn't qualify as a "genius".  

Heh, the word "genius" reminds me of a time in the early '80's when the San Francisco 49'ers were running over the rest of the NFL and making the rest of the league look like semi-pro teams in comparison.  

After one particular game, an obviously not-too-bright 49'er lineman was being interviewed on TV, and the interviewer asked the player what he thought of the then 49'er head coach:

Quote: "Bill Walsh?? He a genius!!"

Takes one to know one i guess  

Cabby

Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

TheWobble

About Adolf Hitler...
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2001, 09:14:00 PM »
Saying Bill Clinton was the hitler of the 90's while sounding rather odd does sort of make sense.

If you talk to anybody who has met him (even his enemies) they will tell you the he really has this ora about him that just makes him very enjoyable to be around.

To me clinton seemed like a nice guy..GUY not president, as in GOOD person BAD president.....i dont mean good as in cheating on wife with the cow woman was good but as in...aww toejam nevermind.

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
About Adolf Hitler...
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2001, 02:29:00 AM »

Originally posted by Pongo:
I prefer not to paste quotes from your long messages to show you where you are saying basically that hitler saved the German Armies honor. Never the less I take that meaning from chapter one of your posts.

Please, do it, because I look back to my posts and I dont understand where do you read that...

Whether or not Hitler was an extreme risk taker is something you apperently have trouble deciding. That the whole war was a huge and unaccepable risk only supports my point not refutes it. You are the first well read person I have conversed with or read that didnt accept that as a fundimantal facet of Hitlers personality and history.

I've already said it. HItler was daring and very self-confident on the strategic level. On the planning stage. Looking at the map, before the things started going, he was very prone to take very high stakes. The war was a very risky bet (wich he lost). the attack on NOrway also, the attack of France too. The attack on Russia was a high bet...but not that risky if we remember that everybody was overconfident on the Wehrmacht capabilities after the Battle of France. And indeed Moscow would've fallen in october'41 had the Balkans not happened or had Hitler let his generals alone to do their duty.
So, in the strategic level, HItler was a risk taker. I agree on that.

But then when we fall into the operative level, the field orders he gave to his commanders when the fight was actually going on were those of an over-conservative (in fact nearing the cowardice) man.

in other words, he vas very daring before the action started but got really nervous as the fight was going on. He was not a risk taker OR a coward. He was both, depending on which situation are we talking about.

You state that sea lion was impossible. I maintain the same is true for Barborossa

Lets put the facts straight: Seelowe was impossible because Germany had not enough sea assets to lauch a succesfull seaborne invasion, and the Royal Navy had the assets to destroy the little ones wich Germany had.

In contrast, Barbarossa objectives WERE attainable. Barbarossa main objectives were to seize the two major cities in Russia: Leningrad and Moscow, to then advance all the ground possible towards the Urals.

Moscow could've been taken with no major problem in the early october of 1941,Had Hitler not diverted the panzer advance on MOscow, and had the attack started on the first scheduled date (without the 6 weeks delay imposed because the Balcans campaign).

Leningrad was under siege since October 1941, and could not be relieved. WIth Moscow taken and Leningrad sieged by early october 1941, reaching the Urals was not that impossible task.

Barbarossa,as planned, WAS attainable. The Balkan campaign was the biggest factor in making it much difficult to work, but was still workable. Barely, and with almost no ground for failure but workable. And indeed it was working OK.

Then came hitler on one of his famous operative directives and sent Guderian tanks to the south, to Kiev, where he won a massive battle, but he lost the war.

Regarding logistics, nope, Pongo. Logistics were not a problem during Barbarossa. The logistical side of the plan had been carefully planned, and the only moment where the German army ran out of supplies was when they did the assault on moscow...and that was in early December 1941. In December 1941, had the things have been done as planned in the initial plan, German forces should've been already well East from Moscow, nearing the Urals.

IF you tell me that the USSR wont have surrendered, that's another thing fully debatable. But I have to disagree. MOscow was too important for the Soviet Union,both as industral and as communications center. In 1942 Case Blue would've been launched as was in reality, and the Soviet ability to answer would've severely limited. If germany had achieved to take MOscow and cut the Volga supply line, the USSR would've have lost the war for sure.

[This message has been edited by R4M (edited 04-04-2001).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
About Adolf Hitler...
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
We have to disagree. The logistics of Barbarossa were near impossisble. Hisory proves this in hind sight but it was clearly evident in forsight as well.
Of course hitler was erratic. He didnt know how to deal with success or failure on the battle field. Fundimentaly dishonest people make real interesting decisions when their original plans are proved unachievable.
Barbarossa could only have worked if the rusians were not willing to fight. Like the french or worse. That was not the case and it was doomed. Period. Attrition warfare was doom to the germans and the precondition for non attrition warfare was collapse of the enemy. The russians would not collapse and Hitler couldnt issue an edict to make them.
All of Hitlers plans had an underlying assumption of superiority of the german soldier. He was often correct in that. But they went farther and assumed some fundimental flaw on the side of the enemy. The flaw that he counted on in russia didnt exist. It didnt exist on day one. It didnt exist in May 45.

"Lets put the facts straight: Seelowe was impossible because Germany had not enough sea assets to lauch a succesfull seaborne invasion, and the Royal Navy had the assets to destroy the little ones wich Germany had.
"
Exactly.
The germans lacked the strength to take russia. Unless you assume the russians would capitualte. It was amazing that they made it as far as they did. The germans generals told hitler that capitulation was required for victory as they lacked the strength to destroy the russians. And they never new anything like the true strength of the russians when they said that.

Nath-BDP

About Adolf Hitler...
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2001, 09:49:00 AM »
The main problem with the Heer post 1941 was the birth of the Waffen SS and Luftwaffe divisions, which put strain on the old hand divisions, which were not reinforced or resupplied as needed because of the new 'personal armies'. Also, Hitler re-raised 6 new divions after the destruction of the 6th Army in Stalingrad, while again not reinforcing his current divisions that were in dire need of equipment. This happened throughout the war.

After Guderian had been appointed as Inspector of Armored Troops in February 1943 he and Hitler had many disagreements as far as the use of armor. According to him, Hitler had a certain affection for assault guns, these were produced in great numbers--which Guderian beleived would put strain on the production of tanks and tank destroyers. Which it did. Guderian also beleived that Germany should pull back her Panzerwaffe so that sufficient numbers of new Tigers and Panthers could be used in one large offensive, and that using these new tanks in small actions would only nullify the enemy's belief of these tanks superiority. Field Marshall von Manstein and Colonel-Genral Model both agreed with Guderian on pulling back the Panzers, however, Hitler wanted to avenge Stalingrad with an offensive in the south, which ultimatly became the battle of Kursk. Which was, ironically, launched by German divisons which were not fully equipped as neccesary because of the new personal armies.

The Waffen SS and Luftwaffe divions always got first priority on supplies. In terms of fighing the SS divions were very successfull though it is better to have a few fully equipped divions than alot of underequipped ones. The Hermann Goering divion was also very low in terms of fighting ability of its troops, and they still had priority on equipment.

------------------
Nath_____
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"He just slapped me around like a yard dawg. First time Ive ever been shut out in a ladder, here or WB's. Tha Bastige!" -hblair

Nath-BDP

About Adolf Hitler...
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
Oh yea,

imo, the invasion of Britain by Germany would have seen the use of the Falshimjaeger force, which was at the peak of its power at this time. A seaborne landing accross the narrow Dover straight wouldn't have been difficult, especially with Luftwaffe air superiority and the Kreigsmarine, remember the U boat forces was also at the peak of its power at this time, which could have assisted in preventing any RN ships from attemping to inflict on the landings.

Rommel belevied that an invasion of Britain should have been risked in 1941.

Once Britain was taken, North Africa was Germany's.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
About Adolf Hitler...
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
I think I am with Pongo in this particular one....

Not only the logistics were impossible, given the lack of a fully mechanized army (great portion of the army were still dependent on horses), given the lack of appropiate infrastructure to move the huge pile of materials needed (especially deep in russian territory) and, last but not least, given the sabotage and resistance that the deception that russians overan by Whermacht suffered on seeing german attitude brought about. Specially white russians but, at the end, all russians.

But, as I say, not only this, but also the fact that Germany was not able, at the time Barbarossa began, to sustain a multi-front war. Neither the war production machine was ready for that effort, nor the men were numerous enough/trained enough to achieve such an enormous task.

Finally, Blitzkieg in Russia is questionable at that time. The scale is too big, the vehicles' range was too short. The pockets left behind too big to be ignored as a threat... Again, the logistics were crucial, and were not, at all, solved. Even if Hitler could made sound tactic decissions, and strategics were perfect, I think It would fail nonetheless. Germany lacked the critical mass to achieve their final goals, especially divided in a multi-front war.

All in all, Barbarossa would be a very difficult task with a fully mechanized army, with better preparation, with an adequate intelligence about opposing forces, and with Germany's back safe. As it took place, It was an impossible one. History tells so.

Cheers,

Pepe.

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
About Adolf Hitler...
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2001, 12:13:00 PM »
  I have read in several different books that many Russian's welcomed the Germans as liberators, also that the russian troops early in the war was a first class fighter, later becoming a first class soldier as well. Early they were armed with quite inferior equipment later with superior arms.
  In discussions about Barbarossa 40 years ago, (I started wargaming in 1956) the debates always focused on the idea of each invading unit having a cadre to arm and incorporate Russians into the Wermacht, would it have made a difference? (It worked for Rome  )
  Finally in answer to my own question poised above .... I believe the world would view Hitler as a Kennedy type figure,  Who did much good and died to soon.

Just my opinion I could be wrong      

------------------
OhNooo
smile awhile

[This message has been edited by MrBill (edited 04-04-2001).]
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing