Author Topic: Airforce Pride  (Read 625 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 01:03:18 PM »
I've had some crewchiefs marshal me around the ramp in similiar fashion...  It's all in good fun as long as they can remember to give the right signals and the crew doesn't run into anything.  In the video, the kid did a pretty good job except that when the plane needed to turn left onto the taxiway, he was still signaling "straight".

Now if there is a painted line to follow and it's not in too tight of an area (as appeared to be the case in this video), that's allowable and common.  Personally though, I prefer the crew chief to signal exactly where I'm supposed to go even when there's a line to help out, and as a result I've taxied right past guys who don't signal the turn into the parking spot, or straightened out early if the marshaler tells me to stop turning too early.  But if there's ever a question, the right answer is to just stop and if necessary, plug the headset back in to discuss it.  I've never taxied into anything so I guess I've been using a decent technique.

In any case, yea it's a bit unprofessional but it's also a deployed location and from experience (3 deployments to fairly remote bases in the persian gulf region) I know that as long as the chief keeps it under control, a little goofing is an excellent way to keep the place from really getting to you.  Everyone has a different opinion and different squadrons need different leadership techniques though, so what's acceptable in one squadron may not be acceptable in another.

To follow up on Hornet's previous post...

Yea, it's easier to relax when your troops are sharp but as you say, your troops are a lot more likely to be sharp if the standards and expectations are high.  Most military personnel, officers and enlisted alike, perform better when they are expected to excel and held to high standards.  In a struggling squadron, you bet a goofball crewchief would get slapped for acting like that, and the aircrew would also likely get slapped for filming it.  But in a squadron that's already at peak performance, in my experience it's not only acceptable but beneficial to loosen the reins a bit and let the guys have some fun on the job as long as safety and the mission are not negatively impacted.

IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 01:08:34 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 02:29:01 PM »
I had a discussion with a Chief about this exact same film. He said the exact same stuff. The problem these days with some of the supervisors is they can't distinguish between having fun and being safe and having fun and being dangerous. If you keep your hands around your troops necks day in and day out your bound to cause more problems by your actions.

People consistantly bring up being professional whenever your in uniform. If the troops know when to be on there best behaviour what's the problem? Hell as some have said I've seen first hand just how out of line some military members can get. The sad thing is I've seen much worse things out of our senior enlisted and officers. The only difference is they get away with alot of what they do. Meanwhile the younger airmen get hammered for something that was alot less damaging.

Keep choking the life out of your airmen and make them into the robots you want them to be. You'll never get anywhere by doing it.

Oh and if you think that video is bad look at the one about gold bond powder. Oh and none of these guys disguised themselves or anything. Guys with global access can find these folks easily. Just do a google search and you'll find it.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 02:54:33 PM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
Actually I'm an insider. Been in the military since 1989. Seen combat in Desert Storm, been halfway around the world, and in my current job I have to deal with these kids everyday. You are right, that what they do is amazing considering their age and the hours they work, but a little professionalism goes a long way also. I'm not some uptight supervisior. I get along with all my guys and like to have a good time as much as anyone. The one time I don't joke around is when the job has to get done. That guys actions were inappropriate on the flight line, while marshaling aircraft. If you are not professional enough to recognize that then I guess I would have to lump you in with the kids that think it's all a big joke.

But his Salute is nice!

Some of you obviosly havn't seen the "goldbond" commercial made by some officers a few years back.

EDIT:  DOUGH!  didn't read Cobra's last sentence....great minds!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 02:56:46 PM by Gunslinger »

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 03:41:25 PM »
They are just having a little fun; every airman has done that before. It was dumb to get caught on tape though. As they say- “It’s legal as long as you don’t get caught.”

Those airmen will change after NCO school though. NCO school = for every a$s there is a broom, and after school everyone acts ‘stuck up’.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 06:17:29 PM »
I once knew a Marine plane capt. that went out to marshal in a few Harriers during night ops wearing nothing but safety boots, cranial, reflective belt, and light sticks.  The entire squadron was still laughing about the incident months later.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 08:54:15 PM »
OK check this out. I showed this thread to my guys to get their opinion on it. My senior team leader pretty much agreed with me. The rest of the guys didn't want to say anything. I got some shrugs and a few Aw I don't know's. Then my third class petty officer who just got to the unit a couple of months ago tells me, and I'll quote him here. "Your a good supervisior but you tend to be a little uptight." WTF!!!! I'm only 34!!! I ended up having a little open forum meeting with my guys to talk about this whole thing, and I'll be damned if I haven't turned into a crusty old bastard. THAT SUCKS!!!!! I think I might have gotten to wrapped up with my responsibilities and forgot what it's like to be down in the trenches with the guys so to speak. Well I guess it just goes to show you that your never as smart as you think you are.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 09:55:08 AM »
OK check this out. I showed this thread to my guys to get their opinion on it. My senior team leader pretty much agreed with me. The rest of the guys didn't want to say anything. I got some shrugs and a few Aw I don't know's. Then my third class petty officer who just got to the unit a couple of months ago tells me, and I'll quote him here. "Your a good supervisior but you tend to be a little uptight." WTF!!!! I'm only 34!!! I ended up having a little open forum meeting with my guys to talk about this whole thing, and I'll be damned if I haven't turned into a crusty old bastard. THAT SUCKS!!!!! I think I might have gotten to wrapped up with my responsibilities and forgot what it's like to be down in the trenches with the guys so to speak. Well I guess it just goes to show you that your never as smart as you think you are.

Good stuff

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 11:24:07 AM »
Hornet,

You're a better man than most to figure it out and discuss it.

When I catch myself being crotchety, I lean over, waggle my finger at the youngest person in the room, and wheeze "you damn kids..."  That's usually enough to let my guys know that I realize I'm being an old fart, but I probably have a good reason.  It seems to work...  My guys get recognized for doing a good job and they don't seem to want to quit or transfer out of my office, and that's about all I could ever expect.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 12:13:16 PM »

There's still hope for ya Hornet.  Having a open discussion with yer guys shows that yer not locked into the "crusty old bastard" routine yet  =)