Author Topic: Enhancing the Pilot Wound System  (Read 1032 times)

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
Enhancing the Pilot Wound System
« on: February 28, 2006, 01:48:05 PM »
I request that instead of having your pilot pass out and regain consciousness over and over again we instead have the pilot get greater and greater tunnel vision.  As the tunnel vision gets greater, the head could start moving around and controls could be less responsive.  

I see this new system as better representing the effects of being wounded while maintaining the need to get back to base quickly before all consciousness is lost.  I think this should be an MA addition anyway but I think an even stronger case could be made for it with CT coming out.  

The consequences of death from a pilot wound would remain the same, it is simply how the pilot gets there which would change.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline parin

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:12:45 PM »
That is  a great idea!
Wgr 21 works great!

Quick Jam from SkyRock...

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 04:57:17 PM »
Whatever. something really NEEDS to be done about the way PWs are now

Rather then start going into immediate total blackout. I'd like to  see maybe go into total blackout the first time which could simulate the immediate distraction of being hit then  Start with a kinda tunnelvision and and blackouts progressivly getting worse and with greater frequency.

I'd also like to see blackouts during landing attempts EACH AND EVERY TIME done away with and  go more in accordance with the frequency of the blackouts.

the way it is now, if your wounded you can always count on a blackout just before your ready to touch down
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:14:28 PM »
Is theres just one type of PW, or are there varying degrees of P wounds? I would have though each pilot wound in real life would be different - each having a different effect on the pilot and on how they control their craft.
Like hit in the leg, you can actuate that rudder pedal, or in the arm ditto for the control column/throttles etc.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 06:32:18 PM »
I don't think landing has anything to do with the blackouts; that's more a matter of timing and perception (you're more likely to remember blacking out on final, which sucks, than you are to remember an uneventful, albeit bloody, landing).

Having something other than just blacking straight out and coming to would be interesting, especially were it to include the possibility of disabled or sluggish controls. I've also wondered about control gear and instruments being shot out, but don't know if such things were actual concerns, whether there were redundant controls for useful things like gear, flaps, etc.

That's an interesting question, Spatula. Fuel and oil leaks have some randomization, but I don't know whether pilot wounds have a similar system in place.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 06:35:16 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:02:08 PM »
All I know is a 5 year old with a slingshot can pilot wound me in my P38.

:rofl
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 07:16:53 PM »
Oh come now, surely you know that the inverse distance to the nearest runway is how frequently you will black out! It's hard coded into the game!!!!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:29:52 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium

And this is why I fly planes in which I get to hide behind a massive engine block. Seemed to me that flying a 38 was like standing on a firing range. I was going to either receive a near-mortal wounding from an MG, or a cannon round would make meat smoothies in the cockpit. Ew.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 07:47:34 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I don't think landing has anything to do with the blackouts; that's more a matter of timing and perception (you're more likely to remember blacking out on final, which sucks, than you are to remember an uneventful, albeit bloody, landing).

Having something other than just blacking straight out and coming to would be interesting, especially were it to include the possibility of disabled or sluggish controls. I've also wondered about control gear and instruments being shot out, but don't know if such things were actual concerns, whether there were redundant controls for useful things like gear, flaps, etc.

That's an interesting question, Spatula. Fuel and oil leaks have some randomization, but I don't know whether pilot wounds have a similar system in place.

I dont know about that. all I know is whenever I get a PW I always black out on final approach just before touchdown.

Sometimes I come out of it just in time to touchdown on the runway. others I just have to hope I have everything set right. If I suddenly end up in the tower. I know I didnt.

What I do know is the way its set now is beyond absurd
It should at least have varying degrees of pilot wound from mild  where blackouts start less frequently to badly wounded where blackouts start more frequent
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 12:58:57 AM »
I was PW'ed one time trying to make a turning approach on a CV. I blacked out and was like, "Aw hell, that's it, I'm dead." I woke up again to find the blackout had put me on a PERFECT approach angle for the carrier deck. :D

Oh! If we're looking for new PW effects, how about a periodic splurting of blood from your bullet-riddled body!

Yeah, I'd like to see varying degrees of pilot wounds. A .303 may not necessarily be fatal, (especially if it's already having to pass through an armored windscreen) though would certainly hurt like hell. I've also read an account where an F4F pilot had a 20mm shell explode practically in his lap and he still survived.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 09:45:50 PM »
I can land now blacked out it happens with such frquency.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 12:29:12 AM »
Originally posted by Delirium

Yea, I hate those armor piercing stones.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 07:29:23 PM »
From what I can tell, there are varying degrees of wound. If you get hit by a .308, the blackouts seem to be fewer and having a longer interval between them. Where, if you get wounded from a 20mm, the blackouts are more frequent and you get less time to live.

Getting a total blackout for every wound is rather simplistic though. IMO, wounds should have different effects (such as slower response on controls, unable to turn head to look over shoulder, tunnel-vision, but not total blackout, etc.)

What would be really cool (some might say gamey) is a clip-board page that shows the pilot body (front, back, side like a doctor's chart) and where the wound is with red dot. The larger the dot, the worse the wound.