Author Topic: If you were the boss  (Read 957 times)

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
If you were the boss
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 10:34:59 AM »
Well, being a small business owner.  One I have a small group there are only 6 of us.

I would fire said employee, that said. I wouldn't fire them as it would cost me more as I only hire legal people. I would lay them off so I would not have to pay them unemployment. Why screw me both ways.. I'm gonna screw you back. I wouldn't lose business, because I deal in parts and equipment of a certain product. So I will not lose business, just an extra hand in the office.

But then I don't put myself in that situation. I do business with a manufacture that does. They are behind in prodcution, and I may stop doing business with that manufacture.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
I honestly do wonder how many other Americans would actually boycott Taco Bell though...it wasn't aimed at you.
I already boycott Taco Bell. Not because of the immigration thing, but because they are an insult to mexican food. Luckily, there are 100's of better mexican food joints around here like Taco Cabana.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2006, 08:55:33 AM »
Originally posted by Midnight

Do you really expect people to believe that with all of the out-of-work tech support and software engineers in the US, you couldn't find enough qualified to do the work here? What's the qualification; willing to work for below poverty wages or software testing experience?

LOL Midnight, you must be in a small company, in a small town!  Those jobs you mention are the fastest growing and NEEDED employees in the U.S. currently. Maybe you could provide me numbers (You know, those pesky "Facts and Data") that show "all the out-of-work tech support ans software engineers in the U.S."?

I did find this information for you to digest:

Tech Support job growth:
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos268.htm

Sys Admin job growth:
http://www.careeradvantage.org/university_of_phoenix_computer_systems_ad
ministrator_job_outlook.html

Software engineers job growth:
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos267.htm

Originally posted by Midnight

Please elaborate. For conversation sake, say you sent 500 software testing jobs over-seas. What new jobs, and how many, were created here in the US for the 500 Americans to fill?

If we could FIND 500 qualified personal within our state in that of short time that we have, it would be great! Another thing to consider is we'd have to lay them off in 2 years, thus the word "Contract work".

Our company used to hire MASSIVE amounts of people during a new product build-up, only to lay them off  2 years down the road when the new product hit the runway.  The company has gotten smarter to compete globally by hiring contract workers, both U.S. and foreign.

Incidently, have you seen the unemployment figures in the U.S. lately? ;)  If you do a google search, try looking at specific numbers like software technician unemployment rates. :)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 09:19:39 AM »
Originally posted by nuchpatrick
Well, being a small business owner.  One I have a small group there are only 6 of us.

I would fire said employee, that said. I wouldn't fire them as it would cost me more as I only hire legal people. I would lay them off so I would not have to pay them unemployment. Why screw me both ways.. I'm gonna screw you back. I wouldn't lose business, because I deal in parts and equipment of a certain product. So I will not lose business, just an extra hand in the office.

But then I don't put myself in that situation. I do business with a manufacture that does. They are behind in prodcution, and I may stop doing business with that manufacture.

I thought that if your laid off from work, you can draw unemployment for a certain period of time
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Goomba

• Copper Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 10:17:27 AM »
Here's my take:

You treat those employees who didn't show for work *exactly* according to existing policy.  If there is no policy, then you can't take action this time.

If the policy says a no-show, no-call is terminable, then do it.  If it says the employee gets written up, then do it.  And you definitely take the day away from any accrued comp days earned...no freeebies.  If you make it OK for some, then you have to let anyone no-show anytime they want to spend the day at a political rally or function.  It'll just spiral.

If the employee followed procedure, requested the time and it was charged against accrued comp time, then that's OK.

The business, in my opinion, has no obligation to support ideological or political causes on behalf of the employees.  Fairness dictates that the employees not be actively or spitefully prevented from doing as they choose with their time, but the business has every right to expect that company policy applied on May 1 just like it does every other day of the year.

If you run a business in an "at-will" state, then you only need avoid doing anything that is illegal...discrimination, harassment, physical abuse, etc...  Disciplining or terminating an employee for blatant contempt for company policy is not legally actionable.

All this should be balanced against the good advice to look at the cost-benefit...be careful with a big producer who is usually a good, compliant employee...it can be worth it to be flexible.  Don't bother with the others.

Frankly, I think this is going to blow up in their faces.  The demonstrations and marches, and the message itself, is not winning any friends with the majority of folks in the country, as far as I can tell.  Besides, everybody is confusing the issue so badly it's scary.  The issue is not immigration itself, but a) reform to the system to make it more realistic and navigable, and b)  
dealing with those who break the law.  Just because they broke the law running the border, instead of a red light, doesn't change a damn thing.

Since the protesters seem to feel that they are entitled to interpret the law in a way that's convenient to what they want, I figure I'll do the same and go help myself to whatever they have in their homes while they're demonstrating.  I mean, 'no human being is illegal', right?  I'm entitled, right?  

If it's OK to flaunt the law in one instance, then it must be OK to do so in any instance, right?

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 06:26:17 PM »
IF I were boss , I'd take 2 more days off in protest of their 1 day off and play golf.

IN FACT...think I'm gonna take the rest of the week off this week and play golf in protest of the poor treatment of the illegal persons who should have every god given right we have no matter how they get here , got here or WHAT. We as honest hard working tax paying LEGALl citizens of this country should bow down and kiss thier butts and be politically correct and just GET ALONG and give them anythng they want. After all...they demand it right?

FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEE!!!!!!!

And Mustaine?  I borrowed one of you lines from an earlier post in my sig. Hope you dont mind Bro.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 06:58:17 PM »
my brother's friend is an electrical sub-contractor in home construction.  He had 30 employees no show him on monday.  He called a meeting and told him that:

1.  He didn't get any work out of them monday
2.  Most of them won't show on friday, or leave early cause of cinco de mayo
3.  He won't get any work out of them on saturday cause they will all be hungover

so.....

he fired every last one  of them and reminded all of them that the 3 foreman are in fact liscensed electricians and can do their work....IE they are replaceable.

I thought good for him.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2006, 07:32:52 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I'd consider that day closed for business. Have Donuts and coffee waiting for them the the next morning.  

An employee morally supported by their boss is a hard working employee.

even if you dont support their cause?

I could morally support an employee if I were also in support of their cause.
This not being the case.
As they say down by the Rio Grande

Adios Amigos
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2006, 12:30:15 AM »
I'm kinda with Ripsnort here.

It depends on the atmosphere you want to have at the job and what kind of people you're talking about.

I work at a mid sized SAP business as a consultant. We're expected to put in non paid overtime, to be professional and flexible. The company returns the favour by being the same.

If the management started nitpicking, the employees would, best case scenario, do the same.

Worst case scenario would be that they'd quit their job and work for a competitor. This wouldn't be very good for a successful company that's expanding rapidly.

So, to a large extent it depends on the job situation, the people involved and the atmosphere that's already in place or in the process of being created.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2006, 02:03:22 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
he fired every last one
Is he replacing them with cheaper illegals?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2006, 10:04:05 AM »
We basically catered to the boycott by scheduling our quarterly inventory on Monday. This meant only 40-50 people were required to be at work instead of our usual 800. We treated anyone who was scheduled to work and didn't show by the book.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2006, 12:58:15 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
We basically catered to the boycott by scheduling our quarterly inventory on Monday. This meant only 40-50 people were required to be at work instead of our usual 800. We treated anyone who was scheduled to work and didn't show by the book.

I'm curious... if over 90% of the workforce suppored the boycott, how many are legal immigrants?
sand

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2006, 03:08:29 PM »
Originally posted by RedTop
And Mustaine?  I borrowed one of you lines from an earlier post in my sig. Hope you dont mind Bro.
mind? not at all sir ;) :aok
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2006, 03:28:25 PM »
Well my father works in vegas for a very large construction company.  He said that the head honchos gave everyone the day off if they wanted it, but if you wanted to work you could.  Was a pretty good idea i think.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
If you were the boss
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2006, 04:00:23 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
I'm curious... if over 90% of the workforce suppored the boycott, how many are legal immigrants?

Well, based on the paperwork we get from them, they are all legal. We are too big to leave ourselves open to action by INS, or ISE or whatever they call themselves now. I know for a fact that one guy used a family member's ID and worked for us illegally for 6 years. He was even a supervisor.