Author Topic: Only in America  (Read 776 times)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Only in America
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2001, 02:17:00 PM »

Originally posted by TheWobble:
I used to have some of theose raub, do they still even sell them? or were they banned like black talons?

I've still got a couple boxes of those... [talons].. in .40S&W  

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
Only in America
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2001, 02:21:00 PM »
Hmm of course in the whimsy of the times, maybe theologians  should do some editing
after all, it would make more sense if Cain killed Abel using a cheap pawn shop .38 because Abel dissed him in front of his homies.
The anti-gun nuts seem to forget that murder was fashionable long before the advent of the firearm.
As far as personal responsibility, of course your government doesn't want that, for to do so you would have to think, and thinking is dangerous (To them)
My wife is General manager of a restaurant, she gets those lawsuits for letting someone drink and drive all the time, wtf is she gonna do? forcibly administer a breathalyzer on them? and then be not only sued but jailed for assault? What crap we have invented, purely so the self-centered "upscale" do not have to excuse themselves for inexcusable behavior.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

LJK Raubvogel

Only in America
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by TheWobble:
I used to have some of theose raub, do they still even sell them? or were they banned like black talons?

Dunno if they still sell them. I still have a box of them in 9mm Para. Haven't had a reason to go replenish my stash yet. Hopefully, I never will.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Only in America
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2001, 02:39:00 PM »
Unfortunately the UK seems to be goign the same way, almost every commercial break on TV these days carries an advert for some kind of 'no win no fee' legal service, one catchphrase that particulaly grinds with me is 'where there's blame there's a claim' and another showing a young boy who fell and hurt himself in a playground and the story tells us how 'Mrs Smith (whatever the name was) wanted somethign done to stop it happening to others and so did WE!(legal 'cockroach' service) roadkill! did she donate any money she received to the playground to stop this happening? like hell! the only thing she saw was pound signs!

OK if you're going to be the kind of legal eagle who chases ambulances looking for any sniff of a claim then fair enough, I think you're a cockroach but if the courts are stupid enough to agree with your case then so be it but please don't tell me in a smarmy advert how you're somehow doing this for the good of the people!

The whole thing just reminds me of the old joke: What do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea.....a good start!

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Only in America
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
 One problem though... Lawyers are smart, smart and organized. The rest of us on average are... well, average - IQ exactly one hundred. Which is actually pretty dumb. Dumber still when gathered in a crowd. Short attention span, ignorance, sports and other distractions - hard to concentrate on politics.
 Any chance to organize and change things? Anyone going to hell needs a good pair of mittens?

miko

TheWobble

Only in America
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2001, 03:09:00 PM »

Dumber still when gathered in a crowd

Ya I agree, like they saying goes  "a person is smart, people are idiots.".

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Only in America
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2001, 03:40:00 PM »
by 1890's standards, the average IQ of a modern person is something like 92.

We're getting dumber as a society, probably because of the failing education system causing everything to be gradually dumbed-down to a level the poorly-educated people can understand....which causes the education system to get worse still.....it's a cycle.

J_A_B

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Only in America
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2001, 05:38:00 AM »
Its the fargin' rewards, er... penalties that are handed out.

If punitive damages MUST be assigned to make a multi-billion dollar company actually feel the sting in the pocketbook (that's what punitive damages are supposed to do) the don't give the bloody damages to the plaintiff (or the plaintiff's lawyers), give it to a charity, or the National Park system or something.

We need to take the incentive out of suing companies.  Too many Americans regard a personal disaster like winning the lottery.  Its sick.

I'm afraid that there is no way to enforce personal responsibility on people when they think that they are looking millions in the face.  I mean, lets face it, America is all about the dollar and everything else is secondary, or so they try to teach us.

Personal responsibility is great, I maintain responsibility for may actions, but I'm afraid that I don't think people as a whole would do so.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
Only in America
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2001, 09:07:00 AM »
States dont have all the tards, we have a few up here too.

Women goes to a worplace party, gets gets feeling pretty good and then leaves and procedes to a bar where she gets really smashed. Leaves there and smashes her car on the way home.  She is now sueing her boss for letting her leave in that condition.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Only in America
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2001, 05:13:00 PM »

Originally posted by J_A_B:
by 1890's standards, the average IQ of a modern person is something like 92.
 We're getting dumber as a society, probably because of the failing education system

Can't agree with you here. I share an opinion that intelligence is mostly inherited. With increased mobility in US society in the last half of the century smart people segregate themselves considerably from less smart people, including geographically. They practically do not mix now. Their children grow up in nice suburbs, go to good schools, meet similar people, marry them and so on.
 So you have a whole bunch of very smart and highly educated people who have very little idea about what most of the population looks like and what problems they have and why and what kind of solutions they need. That is a reason for much of the liberal though/policy. You have booklets that need college education to understand directed towards single teenage mothers with IQ of 75 (borderline retarded).
 They honestly think that most of those people are just like themselves and given lots of money can be educated to the same level. That woould have been nice of course...
 On the other extreme you have a population of less capable people from whose midst any smart/talented person gets plucked out by a better school, college, company, moves out to the suburb and deprives the area of any good example of work ethics and success. Also further driving down the gene pool. There is a true hunt going on for any african-american  among prestigious schools and colleges - with tuition paid etc. Even a talanted white from low-income background can usually get picked up if he is motivated enough. I am not even talking about chinese, koreans and other oriental people - first generation is not speaking english and works in swetshops, their children are all in colleges getting B.S. and M.S. and never see one on welfare or panhandling. Of course their evarage IQ is allegedly a few points higher then average population.

The problem is that smart, successfull people usually start having children later and have fewer of them.
 At the same time less capable people, especially the welfare recepients start having children earlier and have more of them. Of course drugs and booze do not help fetus developemt either.
 So you have a lowering of average IQ of the population and a separation into "cognitive elite", dumb lower-middle class and even worse off poor people/welfare recipients.

miko

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 02-26-2001).]

MrSiD

Only in America
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2001, 05:37:00 PM »
Heh Miko2D, you put my findings in words that captivate in an 'Adolfy' way..  

I share your views about degradation in lower class society and especially welfare abusers. In many cases they make children for the sole purpose of a free housing and welfare benefits. Those children later get taken to social services when they no longer profit the parents. By the time the socialworkers get them, the children already have unrepairable mental damage. I've worked with social services so I know this first hand.

However I'm not that sure about the genom side of the problem. A persons social class does not equal to his intellect.. A rich family boy can have a much lower iq compared to the child of a poor family. He just stands out because of fancy clothing and better education. He can still be an animal torturing sick little puppy who digs his nose and eats what he finds.

Many times a lower class genius child cannot express and develop himself as fast as he would like and it frustrates the person.. That leads to trouble with school, authorities and tragically many times for the whole life.

However it is true that if this trend continues, the average iq of the lower class is bound to drop. Especially when even known retards have the right to bare children. Often they get abused (very common with female retards and handicaps) and produce the society with a bastard child which will be nothing but a burden for its whole miserable life.

These are just things that cannot be controlled without stepping on people's human rights. The Nazi's tried it and we all know what came out of that..

Maybe in 200 years the elite is living behind brick walls and security while the zombies rage and pillage outside.

Wait a minute.. isn't that New York today? lol

Offline PC

• Zinc Member
Only in America
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
Miko,
So are you saying that smart people should screw more stupid people in an attempt to breed them out of their stupidity?

I have no back ground in genetics but I just don’t think this is going to work out.

PC

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Only in America
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
Well PC I think Faith Hill is pretty stupid so I would be more than willing to give the idea a try.  
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline PC

• Zinc Member
Only in America
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »
YEAH!!!Maybe Miko's idea is worth a try!

I just wasn't looking at it from that angle.

PC

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Only in America
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2001, 03:43:00 PM »

Originally posted by MrSiD:
However I'm not that sure about the genom side of the problem. A persons social class does not equal to his intellect.. A rich family boy can have a much lower iq compared to the child of a poor family.

MrSid,
 For the purposes of this particular discussion it does not matter whether the intelligence is inherited or developed - the children of underprivileged parents will end up on average with much lower IQ then the children of affluent partens. That will make much harder for them to move up of their socioeconomic group.
 Since underprivileged/low IQ group procreates more rapidly then affluent/professional group, the average IQ of the population tends to decline.

As for genetics and IQ, I suggest for anybody interested to read "The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life" by Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray.
 As an engineer I find it extremely convincing. It explains many things about american society.

A rich family boy can have a much lower iq compared to the child of a poor family.
 Not only he can, the statistics can easily and accurately predict how many of such boys must appear per a thousand born. As most of natural processes the human IQ and it's relation to other factors is accurately described by a normal (Gaussian) statistical distribution. While a single example means nothing in statistics, a representative sample can be predicted very accurately.

So are you saying that smart people should screw more stupid people in an attempt to breed them out of their stupidity?
 No, I am saying that the welfare program as it stands right now is a breeding program for underprivileged people which is not only bad for society, but an offence to most religions, let alone common sence.
 Society may be interested in subcidising a disadvantaged person to help him/her improve his/her station in life and then having children in better conditions. What would be a point in subcidising them having children while still on welfare to the detriment of their carreer of educatiion. Of course I have no right to tell anyone how many children and when they should have. At the same time I should have no obligation to pay for that. If I had spare money I would rather have an extra child of my own.
 We should stop subsidising procreation and leave it to an individual and God.

I also say that it is a waste of money to subcidise the school programs for the lagging students - there is a limit how much you can teach them. Instead a proper (fool-proof) working conditions should be created so that such persons could be productive and self-sufficient members of society with amount of knowlege they can absorb.
 The money should be directed towards programs selecting and giving extra tutelage to a few capable students because they are the ones upon which the future prosperity of the society depends - scientists, administrators and politicians.

The Nazi's tried it and we all know what came out of that..
 They did not have a scientific foundation, so their conclusions were not entirely correct. I am sure that given time they would have measured everything correctly and accurately determined where racial/ethnic group stands on the scale of average cognitive ability.
 My main disagreement with nazis is what to do about that.
 I say - we do nothing, treat each person regardless of his origin and let nature take it's course.
 Nazi say that "inferior" races must be sugbjugated and eradicated to free living space for "superior" races.
 Liberals say that the science should be ignored and somehow despite the fact that races and ethnicities, differ in any measurable factor, their intelligence is somehow equal (I am talking about averages). So any inequality of outcomes is a result of some kind of oppression and must be fixed by spending money and finding and punishing the guilty.

Having equal intelligence would be great but there is a diferrence between engaging in wishfull thinking and acting as if it were real fact.

miko

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 02-28-2001).]