Author Topic: Feathering the prop  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Feathering the prop
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2001, 05:59:00 AM »
I've read a story of B-17 pilot who lost one engine but decided to NOT feather it because it would tell all the near LW fighters "Hey guys I lost one already!"

One other reason to feather prop is because in some smaller planes (at least Mitsubishi MU-2 twin turboprop) un-feathered prop brokes airflow around wing thus making plane watermelon to fly.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Feathering the prop
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2001, 06:05:00 PM »
duck.. that doesnt work for me. It reduces rpm for both engines, not just one.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Feathering the prop
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2001, 12:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tac:
Another interesting fact, get to 20k, turn off P-38's engines. Props will stop. Shift-X and see how long your speed lasts. Now try the same thing with MAN to 0 (end even try it with Man at 0 and RPM at the lowest setting)... from what i've seen the 38 keeps MORE speed and glides longer with engine off than with engines on and spinning (with no MAN and lowest RPM setting).

Dunno if this is what should happen, but I think its hilarious.   :)

Not sure if I should resurrect this thread or not but I think this is a question that is easily answered...

This should happen Tac because a spinning prop that is not producing thrust has more drag on it than a stationary prop.  Thus if you feather the prop or stop the engine there will be less drag than if you reduce the RPM and throttle back to 0 MP.

Bluemako

Offline kraquen

• Zinc Member
Feathering the prop
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
Tac:

If i hit Shift-1 and then pull my throttle back to 0, only 1 engine will be affected.. same thing for shift-2 etc..
you can use this to turn off individual engines as well

i use it to turn b17's on the runway.. they're pigs on the ground

kraquen

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Feathering the prop
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
Thanks Mako, that makes sense. Try and land a 38 with engines out, its unreal that the thing wont lose E even with full flaps down..it will literally hover above the runway  :)

Kracquen: You can lower MAN on individual engine yes, but can you lower RPM on an individual engine? I fly level (no autopilot) and press shift-2 and press the - key on numpad.. no effect. You'd think the plane would noticibly bank to a side when one engine is putting out less power.

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
Feathering the prop
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
My prop always stops when the engine stops. But that's usually when i'm -6 altitude and a integral part of the airframe, I noticed a bit of drag a second before prop stopped tho  :D

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net