Author Topic: I'm in some big trouble....  (Read 405 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
I'm in some big trouble....
« on: February 14, 2007, 09:51:38 AM »
Hey guys,

I need some help on this particular texture I'm working on for my runway in my airport project. The problem is that I THOUGHT it was 256 Color Bitmap, but it wasnt. When I converted the image it changed from this:

To this:

That is a CONSIDERABLE difference. It doesn't look that much different from a distance, but close-up, it's rather nasty! Any idea how I can use the first image which was saved in 24-bit Bitmap mode and somehow convert it with minimal color loss to 256 color bitmap mode?

I know HTC used some odd method for their "tarmac" texture, I'm not sure how they did it. But when I take the actual "tarmac" texture they saved in 256 color bitmap mode, convert it to 24 bit-bitmap mode, then save it back to 256 color bitmap mode, there too is color loss. Odd isn't it? (This was for an experiment, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered saving it into a mode it was already in.)

It could just be my editing program (MS Paint) or it could be that there is a method out there I'm not aware of that allows me to use the 24-bit bitmap textures and somehow save it as 256 color bitmap mode with minimal color loss.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:02:46 AM »
Wow! Are you sure your program settings are set up right?What program did you use?

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:31:48 AM »
Den,

The GIMP 2.2.10  has no problem with converting.

I check that Blender script issue today later on.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:33:29 AM »
It's paint. Get either Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro and you won't have that problem.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 10:44:45 AM »
Denholm, I assume you are working in RGB-mode, and then saving down to 8-bit when finished.

Look in your "converting to 8-bit" options... if you can find a setting that lets you use an "adaptive" palette, use that. It looks like it is forcing you into a palette that doesn't quite have the colors you need.

Or, you could go to an 8-bit greyscale, since you don't have any real color in there to begin with.

Of course, this could be beyond Paint's capabilities... I dunno, I don't use it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:48:10 AM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 10:55:42 AM »
The quickest solution is to use i_view32.

It's a graphics utility that does an excelent job changing color depth, size and file format amoung other things.

Send the guy some money if you can but it's free and rock solid.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 01:02:17 PM »
Thanks all of you, I do have adobe photoshop 7.0, although I have rarely used it. Would this program allow me to save in "adaptive palette mode"?

EDIT: Well, I looked into Adobe, I opened up my 24-bit bitmap, then went to: Image>Mode. Here adobe told me that my image was a Bitmap (of course), was using "duotone", whatever that is, also "RGB" is selected and "8-bits/channel" was also selected. I did however not find anything regarding "adaptive" or "palette"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 02:36:02 PM by Denholm »
FlameThink.com

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:58:02 PM »
Image - Mode - Indexed Color. A box will pop up you select Local(adaptive) there.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 04:22:38 PM »
Ahhh... good news; if you have PhotoShop 7, you have one of the best there is. :aok

What NHawk said. Adaptive is an option when going from 24- to 8-bit. What this really means is that the program will make the palette from the colors actually in the file, and not from some lookup table or preloaded palette, such as a Windows system palette, or a Web palette... which is like trying to recreate a Rembrandt with a box of crayons. Not enough greys, and too many unused colors.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 06:17:36 PM »
That did it, I'll apply the image and once XJazz teaches me how to use the new tags on his new export script I should have a new runway.

Thank you all!:aok
FlameThink.com