Author Topic: lost half a wing  (Read 678 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
lost half a wing
« on: February 13, 2007, 08:13:48 PM »
sumtimes ppl shoot half of my wing off, and i start going down into a slow spiraling drop. can any1 tell how to recover from that fall if we can?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Online Max

• Platinum Member
lost half a wing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:51:52 PM »
Results may vary according to what plane you're in but here's the drill...

Release the stick to a neutral position and chop throttle asap...
Apply opposite rudder to the direction of your spin...
Assuming you can neutralize the spin, gradually apply some throttle and pull the nose up. You may now apply some rudder input in opposition to the damaged wing (bad right wing; apply left rudder) and if you're lucky, may get back to home turf.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Re: lost half a wing
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by titanic3
sumtimes ppl shoot half of my wing off, and i start going down into a slow spiraling drop. can any1 tell how to recover from that fall if we can?

If you have half a wing, you may be able to fly on it.  I landed an F4U on a port pier last week :)  But it is tricky.

You need to use all your controls, and keep your speed fast.  You will be holding the stick right or left to compensate for the missing wing.  Your rudder will be needed to control your direction.

If you want to land it, you will need to slow down, but when you slow down, your half wing will drop and you will loose control.  Here is what I did.  I had both working flaps.  When I prepared to land, at a higher altitude, I slowed enough and quickly got may flaps out.  Then the aircraft was a bit more stable at slower speeds.  Drop gear, and land.  The half wing will want to stall first, so still do not want to get too slow.

Here is a film: http://webpages.charter.net/davegun/Pics/1wing.ahf

Gunner
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:05:32 PM by GunnerCAF »
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
lost half a wing
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 10:27:16 PM »
in the hellcat ... I belly land on the runway--no gear---  as long as you skid in straight its a successful landing.

i found that if i got slow enough to try my normal approach i would loose lift on the short side and wreck so its easier to just grind it in

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
lost half a wing
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:20:23 AM »
yea, well I lost a mouse port tonight to the power going out.
I was JUSt about to unload my YAKS ammo onto a bomber formation then BAM the power goes out.  GEESH.

So don't feel bad.  You can always spawn a new plane :)

Honestly, I was totally SHOCKED when on my FIRST flight, I lost half of a wing in a p51 and was still in a turn fight.  I doubt IRL that would occur but I dunno for sure.

I do know that when I noticed a strange 'feel', I hatted over to check my wings for holes or pieces of my control surfaces damaged, and that's when I noticed the darn wing missing it's significant other half!

I made it home safely with my first kill too :)  

Since then, when I get hit...I just die.  BUT lately I've been flying a yak and surprisingly this little plane takes some punishment!  

If it only had a FEW more rounds, GEESH.  

GL in your half wing flying :)

Offline brucerer

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.miraclehat.net
lost half a wing
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 11:33:06 PM »
Just following on from this - i have noticed that when flying with one wing, any elevator control causes massive roll. So, if im missing half my right wing - when i pull up, i get strong roll to the right. If i push forward, i get roll to the left.

I dont know a whole lot about flight dynamics but i would not have thought it would produce such a significant roll effect. Can anyone explain this?

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
lost half a wing
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
In addition to the tips already given...If you have wing tanks, switch to manual fuel, and start drawing fuel from the bad wing.  This moves your center of gravity toward the good wing, and helps negate the roll caused by the asemetrical lift.  You'll find it much easier to control with the damaged side lighter.  

Use flaps and throttle to control your pitch when landing.  Using the elevators to pull up will cause you to roll because one wing is producing more lift than the other.  If you have 2 good flaps, you can pull the nose up by adding speed and creating the extra lift from the flaps.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
lost half a wing
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 04:36:19 PM »
38 will fly and land fairly easy with one wing. Just don't get too out of shape or you wont be able to recover. Corkyjr filmed me landing wheels down on the runway just the other night ... one wing short of a full 38... also one fan out. Makes landing interesting :aok

Maybe Corkyjr will post that so you can see the controls... lol not much movement at slow speed, everything on the stops to the opposite side.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
lost half a wing
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 12:20:56 PM »
What's fun is landing with no elevators... I once made a picture perfect landing on an airbase runway using only throttle to control altitude...

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
lost half a wing
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 01:22:08 PM »
It is a challenge to bring in a wounded bird, but I've found it to be part of the fun of the game.

Half a wing.  Deadstick.  Loosing fuel.  control surfaces shot away.  Pilot wounded.  Engine out.  Multiple engines out.  Trying to keep a bomber formation together with a drone shot up badly.  

It's a challenge to bring such a plane back to base, on the deck, or successfully ditch.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
lost half a wing
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 04:34:47 PM »
here an attempt I had the other day.. missing half of BOTH wings.. had the field in sight and then got a "quit moving your controls so rapidly" and augered... odd since I had no ailerons and was trying to maintain attitude with rudder alone!

http://www.savefile.com/files/506604
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
Re: Re: lost half a wing
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »
Originally posted by GunnerCAF
If you have half a wing, you may be able to fly on it.  I landed an F4U on a port pier last week :)  But it is tricky.

Yes you did, yes you did.

I let you go cause I thought you were diving too steeply to pull out.  :(
~Hells Angels~
Solar10