Author Topic: ComSoPac Revisited. Again.  (Read 648 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
ComSoPac Revisited. Again.
« on: July 12, 2007, 11:43:50 PM »
Well, I've started getting back to work on ComSoPac. I now actually have land tiles (mostly) set, just need to revise them as they didn't all set correctly originally. I also have elevation set now, as well (again, some revision required).

This IS a large map, however it's designed to actually play small. The advantage on this map should clearly go to the defenders due to base distribution, and the main islands will have a dense concentration of bases, while the outlying islands are more scattered. This SHOULD, however, serve to concentrate the front lines as there's few easy axes of advancement between countries. There ARE some islands not visible here, due to the resolution of the map, which will contain airfields so there ARE going to be more places for bases. Once the fighting reaches an enemy's home island I expect the battles to become quite vicious.

In addition to the "home island," each country has a "strat island," which will have a strat object, an airfield, and the country's forward port. Unlike most MA maps, carriers will possess a MAJOR strategic value on ComSoPac. Since the remaining ports will be clustered on each country's home island, sinking a carrier will take make a definite impact on an enemy's striking power (compared to most maps, where a carrier may be decisive at most against a single airfield).

At the center of the map is a feature that some of you old timers may find...familiar. It's largely isolated by intent. I'll let you all put the pieces together on this one.

I'd LIKE to be able to limit planes depending on base type. IE:

Small Fields: Fighters/jabos, small attack planes, (TBM, Ju-87, etc) C-47s
Medium: Same as above plus light/medium bombers
Large: All aircraft types (as applicable, I'd LIKE to restrict the 262 to zone bases and HQ defense)

However no one has ever been able to tell me with any certainty whether this sort of restriction would be allowed on an MA map. I don't RECALL there being any specific mention that it wouldn't be allowed, and certainly HTC has restricted aircraft/vehicles from certain bases before to try preventing base captures on the old Fighter Town map. Could someone please confirm this?

Things to do:

Determine how the bases will break down by type and distribution.

Figure out how to make strats work.

Finish revising the land and elevation, and setting terrain types. Any help, particularly with setting up the strat system, will be GREATLY appreciated.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 08:36:21 AM »
Looks nice, like that little Fighter Town in the middle. One thing however, if you're planning on submitting this to the MA, don't plan on making this terrain over 256 x 256. Currently HTC is not accepting terrains any larger than that.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline T99LMG

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 08:38:25 AM »
:D finally! after waiting so long!                            PS i posted this on my psp ignore spelling/grammer

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »
Unfortunately it DOES have to be 512^2, as there's no other way to REALLY do justice to a PTO-themed map (it would be SO nice if HTC actually had stock Pacific-style structures available in the Map Editor that could be used in a PTO map, like palm trees and such, so MA maps didn't ALL have to look all Eurocentric).

In theory, while 512x512 the map will PLAY like a 256^2 due to base distribution. There's a lot of open space for carrier ops, but the fighting should actually end up concentrated at a few points as there's few practical paths of advance as you hop up the island chains.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Sweet map, if it gets accepted I cannot wait to play it!

Originally posted by T99LMG
:D finally! after waiting so long!                            PS i posted this on my psp ignore spelling/grammer

No one cares that you are posting on your psp.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »
ComSoPac with prospective base distribution

Large Fields = 7
Medium Fields = 15
Small Fields = 15
Vehicle = 8
Ports = 7

As you can see, large fields are all centered either on the home islands, or each country's strat islands. Medium fields are roughly distributed between the home and outlying islands, while small fields are scattered throughout the outlying area.

Being predominantly a PTO map there' very little place for GV action outside of the home islands, so all those bases are centered in the interior.

The ports, like large fields, are either on the large strat island for each country, or on the home territory. As you can imagine, the carriers will have a HIGH strategic value. Losing a carrier means a lot of ocean to cover before it can reenter the combat area. Conversely, carriers won't be as (cheesily) affected by having its home port captured, as these are relatively well behind the front lines.

For the time being, each country has two strats: 1 on the home island, one on the large outer island. Unfortunately, a search of the forums didn't much help determining how many strat targets are required, so I decided to start with that and adjust as necessary.

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:42:38 PM »
Wow been so long since Ive seen a large map! Looks very nice.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA