Author Topic: 50 cal gun convergence  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
50 cal gun convergence
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 09:28:38 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

In this tour, I have 105 kills in the FM2 (23 deaths) and 86 kills (19 deaths) in the F6F ... that is almost a 5:1 kill ratio in .50 cal planes ... I know my .50 cals ... It took awhile tho.

Quick question SlapShot...do you recall the 50 cals on the FM2, back in AH1, having more BANG vs the other 50 cal rides? Granted, all 50 cals back in AH1 had more punch but the FM2 seemed to tear the bejeezus out of everything within gun range.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
50 cal gun convergence
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 12:15:04 PM »
Originally posted by Max
Quick question SlapShot...do you recall the 50 cals on the FM2, back in AH1, having more BANG vs the other 50 cal rides? Granted, all 50 cals back in AH1 had more punch but the FM2 seemed to tear the bejeezus out of everything within gun range.

I have a hard time remembering what happened last week ...  :D

I didn't fly .50 cal planes much back in AH1 and only jumped into the FM2 cause they neutered my Spit V ... but I think that the .50 cals that we have now ... if the target is at convergence ... they rip thru planes like a hot knife thru butter and +-100 within convergence ... they are still very deadly and damaging. Ya just got to lay the thick lead rope out there (squeeze and hold) and watch them work their magic.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
50 cal gun convergence
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 12:45:30 PM »
Originally posted by Max

Yes Max, they nerfed em baaaad! If you check my stats I'm sure they would support you're theory. FM-2 was my primary ride back then. I may have to go look.

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
50 cal gun convergence
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 01:01:14 PM »
Had to go look!

tour 46 I had 385 kills to 135 deaths in the FM-2 always in the furball :t
I had similar stats in it for many many tours. F6 was my number 2 ride.

Those guns made it almost surviveable in the furball since you had good odds at a one pass kill. I still fly it on occasion because I like it and all the Blue birds but it's not near what it used to be!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
50 cal gun convergence
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »
Max,
I do not think it has anything to do with 50's being more powerful in one plane/gun platform vs another......I think it has to do with the gun platform itself.......

I love flying the F4U and F6f because of the way the gun platform is.......( aqnd I like navy planes ) I love flying the P-51D except the same gun package on a different platform does not privde me the same result.......

FM2 and P51B with 4 50's I am better with than the P51D.......

as far as convergence goes, I never have like harmonzing my primary & secondary guns, I prefer all set to same convergence, and I prefer all set to 350......I will extend the convergence for a mixed setup though, cannons I will extend 25 to 50 further out beyond the machine guns.so they all drop on same spot.......test it offline or in the TA.......you will see what I mean.or do a search for gun convergence in the  Help/Training section....this has been discussed before a few many times ;)

convergence is a personal preference inregards to one players flying style.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
50 cal gun convergence
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 01:20:43 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
Max,
I do not think it has anything to do with 50's being more powerful in one plane/gun platform vs another......I think it has to do with the gun platform itself.......

I love flying the F4U and F6f because of the way the gun platform is.......( aqnd I like navy planes ) I love flying the P-51D except the same gun package on a different platform does not privde me the same result.......

as far as convergence goes, I never have like harmonzing my primary & secondary guns, I prefer all set to same convergence, and I prefer all set to 350......I will extend the convergence for a mixed setup though, cannons I will extend 25 to 50 further out beyond the machine guns.so they all drop on same spot.......test it offline or in the TA.......you will see what I mean.or do a search for gun convergence in the  Help/Training section....this has been discussed before a few many times ;)

This just made me remember ... the FM2 fires ALL it guns at the same rate ... other .50 cal planes may or may not do this ... this is probably why the FM2 seems to have a bigger punch then some other .50 cal planes.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
50 cal gun convergence
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 01:23:42 PM »
Originally posted by Max

Sure seemed to be the case didnt it.:D

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
50 cal gun convergence
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 01:27:45 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
Max,

Yup, in a hog u can **** the rudder and stabilize the platform immediately, not so in pony!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
50 cal gun convergence
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 01:45:01 PM »
the FM-2 DEFINATELY lost it's punch in the change. I think it's a safe bet that I have more kills in it than most and maybe more than anyone. Not trying to toot my own horn but rather to add validity to my opinion. And certainly not whining because we all faced the same adjustments. But it went from my favorite ride to well down the list instantly. I still fly it with convergeance set to 300 for all guns.

Now my long range aim changed also so it could be a combination of the two things as it's been awhile since AH2 came out I don't remember my exact observations from way back then.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
.50 cals
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 02:24:44 PM »
Convergence really is a matter of your own flight profile...and by that I mean...how skilled is your SA (Situational Awareness)...and how skilled is your sight picture for the shot you wish to take...how skilled are you at flying the aircraft you have chosen?

The shot you wish to take is Crucial...because before you can MAKE the shot...you must first fly into the position FOR the shot.

Most of us can get up in the morning and drive our cars to work.

Most of us can drive ANY car to work, at any hour of the day, in any traffic condition...and maintain a safe bumper-to-bumper separation of the car we are driving, from the car we are following, under normal circumstances...because we have Situational Awareness (we check all mirrors, and our heads are on a swivel on our necks looking all around us). And because most of us know the performance capabilities of our cars versus other cars on the road, most of us can eloquently cuss-out the car that cut us off!

During Rush-Hour Traffic we look for "openings" in front of us, a place into which we wish to safely slide in order to improve our position amongst the other traffic.

This is SA at work! When we spy an opening...a place into which we might fit...this is convergence...AND the shot! Whether we drive an old 1962 Volkswagon, or a modern Race car...SA is the same. What differs is ...
Convergence...that's your accelerator...the pedal on the floorboard that makes you go faster, or slower! If you go too fast...you collide with the car in front of you! If you go too slow...you miss squeezing into the slot you saw! If you judge everything just right...you get the slot!

Questions:

How far ahead of you did you see the slot?
How many cars were in front of you?
How many cars in front of you were looking at the same slot?
How far ahead of you is the slot?
How much time do you have to make a positive decision?
Are you confident you can make the move?

Like the accelerator on a car...convergence has its limitations...you can stomp on it and hope for the best (600 yds)...or...you can keep your foot above the accelerator and wait... (200 yds)... and manuver for the shot.

How well do you Drive?

How well do you Fly?

Is this post confusing? Probably...

My .50 Cal Convergence is set for me to kill Bombers and Fighters...

Remeber...there are Big Trucks on the Freeways as well as cars...

My Convergence...6 x .50s....275

Knowing when to shoot comes with a bit of experience...just like knowing when to slide your car into the slot you've eyed.

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC