Author Topic: Cholesterol metabolism  (Read 787 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 03:50:02 PM »
Wine is fine. So is a tad of Schnapps!
Water is always good in some quantity,  - think of your blood system as a system of hydraulics, - which it basically is! If you have a thicker liquid, then the pressure is higher, - dead simple.
And BTW, fish fat is ok. (so is actually horse and whale fat, but not everybody has what I do in the freezer :D)
And stay away from transfat as well as margerine!

Just a change of menu, and you'll be just fine!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 10:18:01 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Wine is fine. So is a tad of Schnapps!
Water is always good in some quantity,  - think of your blood system as a system of hydraulics, - which it basically is! If you have a thicker liquid, then the pressure is higher, - dead simple.
And BTW, fish fat is ok. (so is actually horse and whale fat, but not everybody has what I do in the freezer :D)
And stay away from transfat as well as margerine!

Just a change of menu, and you'll be just fine!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/09/030909070840.htm

Yep, so I can drink my evening glass. Good.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »
How old are you, Russian?  Just curious...I was tested at age 21 in the ANG.  For years, just kinda knew it was high and ignored it.  It wasnt until I hit 30 that my Dr felt I should do more about it.  Working at a hospital as I do now...seeing what I do...I'm some glad I started when I did rather than ignored it.  You'd be in awe how many chest pain admissions we get that are young.  Yikes.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 12:06:58 AM »
Originally posted by Russian
I'll search for that in local store...

What about a glass of red wine? any issues with that?
Any store with a decent produce section should stock "Wonderful POM". It's pure pomegranate juice. They also have a line of green tea/pomegranate juice drink.

Just remember, your liver burns cholesterol. Anything you can use to filter it out of your diet (soluble fiber) will reduce the amount of cholesterol your liver has to work on and reduce any increase to your bloodstream. Removing it from your bloodstream is another thing. That's where the Omega-3 comes in. It assists your liver in burning off the cholesterol.

Now, as Toad mentioned it may not help burn the type of cholesterol you need help with. BUT, overall it does lower  total numbers. Your only other alternative is to use statins.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 05:32:55 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
I saw this article today...lots of good info here too:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/01/23/healthmag.cholesterol/index.html?eref=rss_health

Thanks for the article...although I'm pretty sure I'm a male ;)

(I'm 26)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
Now, as Toad mentioned it may not help burn the type of cholesterol you need help with. BUT, overall it does lower  total numbers.

RPM, can you link me to a study that shows that?

I have made a rather serious study of this issue and I can't find anything that supports that idea.

As mentioned, it probably increases HDL, which is a good thing so they say, but it that is an increase in total cholesterol nonetheless.

As also mentioned it increases LDL, which is a bad thing, and which is another increase.

That's and increase in HDL and an increase in LDL, both of which will increase your total cholestrol. Since the AF is only looking at total, both of those conditions are bad for Russian's future as a pilot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 09:18:17 AM »
Just had my bloodwork from yesterday come in...

1/28/08 Total: 199 LDL: 127 HDL: 48 TG: 123  

So, one goal met...under 200 with minimal (10mg Pravachol) medication.

Now that its "normal", I'm certain they will lower the standard again on me!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »
LOL...russian is tall and skinny and in great shape.   I can't imagine that there is anything wrong with him.

do you have medical insurance russian?  if you do.. next time you go in pay cash and tell em you lost your job and have no insurance..  I bet you will check out fine then.

lazs

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 03:26:24 PM »
So the AF won't let you fly if your cholesterol  is too high?  How high is too high?

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 04:04:34 PM »
I can tell you, from working at the hospital, that its not just the fat folks in the ER complaining of chest pain.  Its really an eye opener when you see guys in their early 30s who discover they've been dragging some really high numbers.

So dont let skinny/tall make you think it can't be...

Know your numbers...cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »
So 5 days of diet and exercise gave me the following; Total 202, Trig 122, HDL 39, LDL 138.

I'm ecstatic :)

The magic number is 200 in total. :D

:cool: :p

(The only worry now....maybe VA made an error since drop from 300 to 200 in 5 days is nearly impossible....I think I'll stay on this diet for another week or so)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:04:16 PM by Russian »

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Cholesterol metabolism
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 08:21:13 PM »
That's a pretty remarkable drop.