Author Topic: Axis and Allies Boardgame  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
Re: Axis and Allies Boardgame
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 08:33:30 PM »
Played a lot of Axis and Allies back in college/High School, and a buddy and I occasionally play it now.
I've actually got 3 different versions, and there's 3 more I don't have. Just couldn't force myself to drop the loot for em.
The original is still the best, though it got static so some friends and I ususally started to play with the rules to try and get some of the
static gameplay out of it. It's been 10 yrs since we've played by stock rules. =)

Usually I played Axis (German) but I enjoyed playing as any of the countries.
Rolling Thunder

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 08:39:40 PM »
It's hard to find people who can sit still long enough to play a board game anymore :(
P-47 pilot

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »
It's hard to find people who can sit still long enough to play a board game anymore :(

PC wargames are the way to go now.  Wife, kids, pets, etc.. can't knock weeks of efforts flying.  Can play many boardgames via PC now a days with things like the VASSAL engine if you rather not just pick up a straight PC game.  One recent one I highly recommend is Guns of August by matrixgames very playable and very enjoyable.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 07:01:46 AM »
I've played Axis and Allies but I don't care for it much. I do like their smaller single battle games though. I have the D-Day one and I'll be getting the Guadalcanal one soon.

I cut my teeth on Avalon Hill and SPI games too. I'm very fond of the wooden block type games from Columbia Games. My first was Panzer Leader back in 1978. I ended up owning or playing most of Avalon Hills titles (still have quite a few) with my favorites being B17 Queen of the Skies (solitaire game) Panzer Leader/ PanzerBlitz, Blitzkrieg, Napoleon, Wooden Ships and Iron Men and War at Sea/ Victory in the Pacific.

I'm also a big fan of miniatures. I have tons of GHQ microarmor and Panzerschiffe 1/2400 scale ships.

I don't play boardgames much anymore for the same reasons as you guys.
Someday though I'll get back to it, I'm sure.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 10:06:06 AM »
I still played board games up until my "gameroom" became my daughter's bedroom almost two years ago.  My most recent favorite was Avalon Hill's "Advanced Third Reich."  I also have it's sister game "Rising Sun" which is the Pacific version of ATR.  I had an old, flat door acting as my table, and it was just large enough to have both maps out at the same time, allowing me to play a true global wargame.

Of course, I was always playing against myself . . . finding someone who had the attention span necessary to go through a set up phase, let alone actually learn the rules to an Avalon Hill-type game, has been a challenge I have been unable to meet.

Speaking of long set-up times, the game that has got to be among the most time-consuming to set up, let alone play, is "Pacific War" by Victory Games.  It has short scenarios you can play in a couple of hours, but to play the campaign has a listed "postulated playing time" of 95 hours.  The game itself is an absolute bear to set up -- I always ended up spending at least two days just to get the pieces in place.  The best quick example I can give as to why is the ports.  You have a map that spans Alaska to Australia and Hawaii to India.  Locations are pre-printed on the map with names.  But, because ports can change hands, each port is represented by a die-cut counter that is blue on one side and yellow on the other so you can flip it to show which side owns it.  Airfields were also die-cut counters.  The units themselves were from divisional to batalion size units for land units, a "step" for an air unit represented about 15 planes, the ships were single ships for CVs and BBs, two ships for CA and CL, and six ships for subs, DDs, DEs, etc.

Squad Leader had been another favorite of mine for a long time, but I never bothered to "upgrade" when they went with "Advanced Squad Leader."  So, I had the original through Anvil of Victory, but nothing beyond that. At least with Squad Leader, you had the ability to set up and play a game in a relatively short amount of time.

For pure playability, a company called "The Gamers" did a good job with games like "Stalingrad Pocket" and "Afrika."  I have another of their titles called "Hunters from the Sky" which is the invasion of Crete, but for some reason it has never made it off my shelf.

For true solitare games (instead of trying to force myself into schizophrenia) I have "London's Burning" and "Guadalcanal."

And finally, if you like the very-easy-to-play Milton Bradley type games, check out Fortress America or Samurai Swords.  They are not World War Two based, but have the same type of quick action and easy to learn rules as the original Axis and Allies.  (I've never had the pleasure of playing any of the expansions, so I don't know how much more comples the old AvA may have become over the years.)

Almost forgot -- yes, I also have the obligatory Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz, Guns of August, Blitzkreig, and several others.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 10:09:56 AM by E25280 »
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 10:31:36 AM »
For you guys that still enjoy your boardgames but haven't the room nor the opponents to play there is some great stuff out there to assist in playing via the internet. I have tons of AH titles and if I had more time I would be playing them this way.  By far the coolest is playing Advanced Squad Leader, real-time, using this program: http://www.vasl.org/  From that the engine has expanded to allow you to play, real-time, many other titles for free.  Check out the list of games here: http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=displayAll&Itemid=30

And there is also software that will allow you to play games via email, one example that I have is Aide De Camp II.  But I know there are many others and I believe some are free. 

http://www.hpssims.com/pages/products/adc2/ADC2-Main.html

I really haven't the time these days to use them myself, wish I did but most of my limited gaming time is taken up by AH.  But figured I would let other wargamers know that there are still plenty of reasons to continue a most excellent hobby.  :)
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2008, 07:55:19 PM »
Greetings,

Ah, the golden age:

Stellar Conquest
   Squad Leader / Cross of Iron
   Battle of the Bulge
   Gettysburg
   Imperium
   GHQ miniatures
   and most importantly - 15mm Nappies and ACW!

Umm, any of y'all live near Victorville CA and feel the need to roll dice?

Regards,

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »
Greetings,

Ah, the golden age:

Hello, sonny.

The golden age:

- Battle of the Bulge
- Panzerblitz
- Tank!
- Frederick the Great
- Terrible Swift Sword

- oldman

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 08:13:26 PM »
I miss playing, still have mine, bought in about 83 (give or take a year)  For some strange reason I cannot talk the wife into trying it. :frown:

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 08:16:02 PM »
Greetings,

You forgot - I know we are of the same generation:

Patrol
   Afrika Korp (AH - not the SPI Monster Game)
   Panzer Leader
   The North Africa Quad Series
   The Waterloo Quad Series
   Ogre and GEV
   Kriegspeil
   Blitzkreig
   and the one that started it all - Tactics (AH)

Regards,

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 08:21:40 PM »
finding someone who had the attention span necessary to go through a set up phase, let alone actually learn the rules to an Avalon Hill-type game, has been a challenge I have been unable to meet.

Ain't that the truth!  I finally conned a few friends into trying Axis vs Allies, by the time I got the board setup they were already ready to quit....very frustrating lol

I have a "professional day" at work Friday.  I work at a public school.  I thought about challenging the history teachers to a game of Axis vs Allies but...I know that even they aren't up for something that complicated.  I'm gonna try Risk instead.  I'm Jonesing for some strategy lol
P-47 pilot

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 10:29:04 PM »
Hey you can play people by email saying everything you do or Im.  I love axis and allies though.  I remember the 13th game in 5 months against my step-dad.  He had me beat so I went crazy I took my transports and put everything except the stupid russians which had almost 100 infantry in Great Britain and launched my massive naval assualt straight into Germany.  He then attacked with 78 tanks against my 45 infantry 20 artillery and 20 tanks.  The battle ended with me winning left with only one tank. :rock  What a great 12 hour game.  I remember wondering what someone was doing driving around at what I though was midnight(actullay 4am) and saw him throw our newspaper.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »
I do like HOI2 very much. WWII PC strategy game, real time. Hearts of Iron II.

After a few games of TripleA I've decided to jump in and learn Hearts of Iron II.  I had tried it a few times with the demo, but I've got the full version on the way.  Hopefully it'll have a great manual.  :)
P-47 pilot

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 11:51:32 PM »
Greetings,

You forgot - I know we are of the same generation:

Patrol

OOOOhhh.  Forgot that.  But the first one - Sniper! - was better. "Patrol" was the Field and Stream version, never really caught on.  Pretty amazing how close they got to real simultaneous movement without computers.  That's why I always thought "Tank!" and "Kampfpanzer" were the best.

You're right.  We are old.

- oldman

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2008, 10:46:41 AM »
Not that old - most of us are still young errr... kids at heart.  :P
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech