Author Topic: Buff Guns  (Read 323 times)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Buff Guns
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »
The problem is getting into position on some of these bombers and even then a good gunner will swap positions so quickly he'll be lighting you up with 5-6 guns constantly.  A good approach certainly improves your chances, but it's still very dangerous to get near a buff.

-Soda

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
Buff Guns
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
Several recommend that you "properly setup your approach..".  Problem is, these are not bombers flying formation, maintaining a heading.  As soon as your in a good position, they reverse or change course.

You can tell most bombers have no fear, they realize they have the advantage and are more then willing to mix it up.  That tells me something is very out of whack.

Me, I'm going to join the buff boycott and refuse to attack buffs, they'll eventually get bored (more bored?) and maybe then something will get done.

bowser

[This message has been edited by bowser (edited 03-08-2001).]

Toady

Buff Guns
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2001, 08:03:00 PM »
i'm new (4 weeks or so) and a keen bomber pilot due to extreme suckage at dogfighting (lessons pending) i always find myself extremely cautious when tackling any fighter harrassing me on a bombing mission. more recently i've learned how to really shred fighter pilots but this rarely occurs beyond 900 yards #at least# ....learning to fight beyond 1k would be nice :-) what im saying is i always fear a fighter on my tail no matter what it is, what im flying and whatever altitude.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Buff Guns
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2001, 12:58:00 AM »
Granted, Im not saying that in a 1v1 you will always prevail against a buff, even if you do everything right, a dead eye shot (thinking Craven typs here) is going to shred you more times than not.But if you practice killing buffs and use the right plane (I like the g10 with all the goodies), you will knock em down a whole lot more than they get you.

Shamus  
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Buff Guns
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2001, 05:40:00 AM »
I'm not saying it can't be done, and yes I can (and have) give lessons on proper buff attack tactics.

Its just that I fly the Yak-9U a peashooter with a small clip.

Buff attacks (even Ju88's) are much more difficult than with the F4U-1C or Spit that alot of people are thinking of when they're talking about this subject.

It can be done yes, but it gets old taking radiator hits (the good old magic Yak radiator) from 1.3K shot on a 45 degree crossing angle at 450mph+

Like I said, just not worth it to me.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
Buff Guns
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
I like attacking bombers in the Yak, partly (as you point out) because it isn't easy. You have to get in close and then get out again in a hurry.

I haven't tried the 9T against bombers yet but that should be interesting, can't wait to dive on an Ar234 with one =)

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Buff Guns
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2001, 11:50:00 AM »
swamprat what a joke.  do you actually expect us to believe that you are getting killed at 1.3d by one ping?  Man, one ping deaths from buff guns DO NOT HAPPEN>>>>>>>EVER!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Buff Guns
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »
They do happen loser, im a constant victim of them.

D1.2 on b17's 80c, flying parallel (trying to get in front and HO from 12 hi) buff sprays tracers like a madman in my direction, 1 ping and BEWM, entire wing and engine of opposite wing blown up.

im sure that .50's which by all rights must have a serious dispersion at that range and angle, can perform better than a 30mm at d100 from a perfect 6 position.

When I fly my B-26, I dont use tracers. I just spray in the general direction, see if I get a ping. In most cases, the very first burst I hit with tears a plane apart. 190's and n1ks are the only ones that i've seen that require a long burst of hits to kill. My theory is that the first ping you hit with that does the killing damage, the other hits you see in your FE are lagged effects, just as when you HO a fighter in a chog and you wont see the other plane explode until after the merge, the buff guns have the same lag.

When in my fighter getting pinged by a buff the first ping turns me into a wingless,tail-less, burning cockpit, on the way down I hear two dozen pings. Buff pilot reports seeing my plane lit up like a christmas tree. So the buff gunner sees my plane a-ok getting pinged like hell and then break into pieces, when in my FE first ping breaks apart the plane and get all the other hits later. Since its my FE that determines the damage, its the first ping that kills.

LJK Raubvogel

Buff Guns
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
Buff gunsights should vibrate like fighter guns.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Buff Guns
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2001, 07:29:00 PM »
Agreed Raub.

Just now I did a 450mph slash attack from 3 oc hi on a b26. It never fired on me during my run, I hit it a lot in the fuselage, no damage to buff (though in RL those bullets wouldve murdered half the loving gunners), as I continued on dive, the tail turret sprayed at my p38 as it kept diving and slightly turning to the right (so I could come back higher again and hit it with another hi speed run). Guess, what? ONE loving ping ripped both my wings AGAIN. There is NO way EVER a .50 cal would do that. at d900, target going extremely fast AND changing plane and angle... the dispersion on the bullets coming to me shouldve been HUGE, but hey, those BS turbolasers dont seem to have any dispersion. One ping = 5 bullets from each gun that bears on you... in my case tail and waist gunners... oooh how nice, 2 in tail turret+ 1 in waist dunno how it would shoot at me through the wing, but hey, its BS)=15 rnds all hitting in perfect convergence with no dispersion.

Oh yeah, that can rip a wing off a plane. bollocks.

SwampRat

Buff Guns
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2001, 02:17:00 AM »

Originally posted by loser:
swamprat what a joke.  do you actually expect us to believe that you are getting killed at 1.3d by one ping?  Man, one ping deaths from buff guns DO NOT HAPPEN>>>>>>>EVER!!!!!!!!!

No loser...I don't.  1.3k out AND 1 ping kills.  And yes they certainly do.

Swamp

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Buff Guns
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2001, 04:41:00 AM »
FLY CHOG ITS WHAT HTC WANTS YOU TO DO

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Buff Guns
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
Yeah the buffs seem to have this "one hit wonder" together with the chog.

I think the lethality of buff guns should be the same as on the fighters, not increased a bit.
And a 1 ping kill from a 0.5 is really a joke, even a ZERO would laugh at a single 0.5 that strikes it wing in RL.