Author Topic: Well its confirmed. I no longer wish to do automechanic work  (Read 773 times)

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Well its confirmed. I no longer wish to do automechanic work
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 09:44:10 PM »

Don't forget you got under the car to remove it.  I changed the one on my wife's Saturn so many times that by the time it was stolen, I could change it out in just over 15 minutes. Every 4-6 months it would go bad... had one from Auto Zone w/ lifetime warranty.

How many times did you replace the alternator? I mean, without fixing why it was going out? :)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 10:50:12 PM »
Oh, fun days.

I used to do the mid level stuff -- body work, half shafts all the time, motor mounts, brakes, shocks, alternator, various pumps and radiator stuff, gaskets, thermostats, transmission linkages, timing belt. Tried to do the exhaust once without a lift or a torch (sawzall) and it was all rusted and the bolts were seized and I couldn't quite get the saw where I needed it and then couldn't get the thing back up to get it somewhere else and ended up intentionally cutting the flange end of the exhaust manifold off just to get the dammed pipe on the ground and show the frackin thing who's boss after 6 hours in 90s heat. One time spent 4 hours in the cold trying to get the half shaft off my Rabbit GTI only to discover that the bolts on the transmission hub (under the grease) were not allen head like the Honda I had and like they appeard at a casual glance but required some exotic metric 6-point star drive. WTF, Volkswagen. A stupid trip to the local Snap on Distributor and $5.00 later and it slips right off.

If I had a fun project like Lazs or a bunch of friends who liked to hang out with me and work on cars and a great set of tools and accessories for auto work it would be OK. I don't mind doing mechanical things. But now it's just a druge. But, since I am handy with tools (earned a living before with tools) it kinda irritates me to pay someone to do things I can do even if they can do it much faster and more efficiently in a good auto shop. Did some light coolant work on my old Mazda 4 years ago and knocked it out, so never say never I guess.

My last oil change was a 15 years ago when I quickly drained and put on the new filter and things were going so great that in my excitement I poured 3-4 courts through the engine and out the oil pan onto the garage floor -- because I had forgotten to reinstall the drain plug. I'll easily pay somebody the small fee to take that minor PITA off my hands.

Charon

tool to lock the water pump pulley, but judging by the pic of it in a workshop manual it word have been useless anyway

On the old VW rabbit I owned I had the same issue. I was able to wedge a nice-sized L-shaped allen wrench in the pulley groove with the bend  up and and rotate the pulley with the wrench until it wedged on the engine and locked the pulley.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:55:20 PM by Charon »

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 11:30:24 PM »
How many times did you replace the alternator? I mean, without fixing why it was going out? :)

That particular model had a habit of eating them... heat maybe?  dunno.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 11:37:04 PM »
A headlight bulb blew on my old 02 Corolla. No problem I thought, just pop in a new bulb. And no problem it would have been too, if I had hands the size of a three year old. For those of with normal sized appendages, what it actually meant was stripping out some very ominous looking unnamed black boxes and pretty and the screen wash tank. I declined treat and took it to the shop.

There's something truly humiliating about having to ask another man to change a light-bulb for you.   :confused:

try one of the HID headlights......they actually have transformers to "fire" them up. i thinnk it hits in the ballpark of 300V? i know it hits high enough voltage to kill ya if ya do something wrong. i worked at a place before i bought my own shop where all the mechanics were afraid to change one.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 11:38:42 PM »
Accord debuted as a hatchback in 1976.

(Image removed from quote.)
thanks dude.....i really wasn't sure......

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 11:43:15 PM »
Well lets see,

Today I tore down and repacked bearings on the front of my car, last week I redid back brakes and replaced all the vacuum lines. The week before that I did both brakes on the front, and rebuilt the carb.  In addition I've been sending down the roof and repainting.

Of course it's a 76 Mercury Comet.  Runs like a Swiss watch too.

Regards,
Kevin

wow!! i didn't think any of them were still around? you have the 250 6 cyl, or a V8?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2008, 11:44:25 PM »

Like I said. My time is more valuable to to me then that.

like i said.....us technicians are underpaid :D
especially those of us that own our own shops now :rofl :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"