Author Topic: Perk  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Perk
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2008, 08:37:10 AM »
why do most people despise spits?

Reading comprehension? ;)  We don't hate Spits.  In fact, many of us would like to see the XIV unperked and the XVI take its place.
For what its worth, I think the ability of the Spits in AHII to pull Gs with so little E loss relative other planes must be a little over-blown.
We had so many debates about this at argo's warbirds page it would make you vomit. :P  Basically, the Spitfire has fairly low wingloading and the wing is thin, which makes for very little induced drag at low/medium speeds.  That means that the Spitfire can turn at a very high rate without pulling a lot of AoA (high AoA means drag, you slow down).  On the flip side, Spitfires are a bit slower than, e.g. 109s with similar horsepower because their low wingloading becomes a parasite drag liability at high speed.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline 50 Cents

• Zinc Member
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
I enjoyed the rest of your article,but wasn't it because of the elliptical wing?on the spit. The despise came in to play because i have heard people on vox *dam spits turn on a dime hate those$%^#....* get my drift lol.i apologize for that ...since it did bother you(obviously) i only came over here about a month ago so sort of feeling everything out ...may have stuck my nose in the wrong place  :cool:

50 Cents
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:12:08 PM by 50 Cents »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2008, 01:45:03 PM »
Sir,
I was referring to the performance of our Mk IX, a plane whose turning is good and whose E building abilities are also merely good, not  good and extremely good, ala our XVI
You can't have something that never existed.  There were no clipped Spitfire F.Mk IXs powered by a Merlin 61.  Therefore, to get a clipped Mk IX, you end up with either the exact same plane as the Mk XVI for a 1944 version or the same except replacing the .50s with four .303s for a 1943 version.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2008, 02:03:29 PM »
reading comprehension?? ...LMAO ....wow do you feel better now?? great welcome for coming over to this sim a month ago
anyway ill disregard that this time being that I'm 50 and and should know better then respond to this I made a statement don't read into it so deeply ...

50 Cents

Don't feel unwelcome, we're glad to have ya. :aok  But you did make a huge exaggeration followed by a minor rant; next time I'll just let it go, ok? :salute
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline 50 Cents

• Zinc Member
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »
Oh sorry i was joking around ..oops,anyway you have alot of knowledge on aircraft that site you metioned,would it have a good read on spitfires,That i could look at?or any other info on that sweet little plane.

50 Cents  :salute