Author Topic: Yet another G940 thread  (Read 348 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Yet another G940 thread
« on: June 22, 2010, 01:55:39 PM »
OK.. so I'm rolling the dice here.  I found it buried on Amazon for $199.99 with free shipping new.

They gave me a 2-3 week estimate on shipping, so I'm *hoping* it is a new batch coming from Logitech... perhaps they'll fix the rudder issues.  I do have confidence that they'll fix the 5.09 feedback issues when they release the 6.0 software.

And if I'm not happy with it?  I'll sell it on ebay.. refurbs are going for $220 there...

I decided to do this because my Saitek pedals have finally broke beyond repair, and my X52 stick... while working great... is starting to develop just a little bit of center slop that's starting to drive me crazy.  Also, I know that new hardware will make me an UBER STICK in the game, and I'll be able to PWN Shawk and GHI with it!   :neener:

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
Re: Yet another G940 thread
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:26:31 AM »
Hey go for it.  I bought my system before Christmas and did have to return it around the first of Jan.  But since then my other set has worked fine.  Yes I bought one and my wife and daughter bought me another one not knowing I had already purchased it.  Life is great.  The one I turned in for replacement is in the other room.  I have not opened it yet because the other one I bought is working fine.  Despite the bad press the major problem is the software.  The rest of the system is working fine and I love the FFB.  At that price why not.  Hope things work out for you.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
Well I got mine in... Installed the 5.09 drivers.. did NOT install the updated firmware.  Total cost from Amazon.com $199.99 BRAND NEW with free shipping.

I just got done flying offline for about 15 minutes to check assignments, etc... so far so good... I still have programming to do.  All I can say so far is... WOW!  This this is pretty sweet.  I have to admit, the precision is twenty times better than I expected, as is the force feedback.

OK.. my last stick was an X52, so most of my analysis will be compared to that stick.  This is also running Win7 64bit, and I have the joystick setup, my track IR, and my USB headphones all running through an externally powered USB 2.0 hub.

:joystick:   PROS:
-Very precise.
-Rudders operate very smoothly and flawlessly (no spiking at all thus far)
-Pedals and Stick assemblies feel very solid and well made
-Force Feedback is top notch... WAY better than an old FF stick I had back in the day.
-Dual Throttle seems like it will be nice to have, although haven't tinkered with it much so far

:furious   CONS:
-Throttle feels CHEAP and notchy.  I need to play with the adjustment some, but so far I'm not at all impressed with how it feels, although it works fine
-Backlit throttle "P" buttons also feel cheap.
-Stick is not as comfortable as my X52.
-Buttons on stick and throttle are a bit harder to reach.
-Programming software is a bit cumbersome, but not really that much worse than the saitek stuff.

If this was a normal springy stick, I'd probably give it a 5 :airplane:   rating, but since the FF works so well, I'm giving it an 8 :airplane:   rating... based purely on what I've experienced so far.  Like I said, no rudder spiking at all, and I'm not noticing the reversal bugs at all.  We'll see how I feel after I get into some combat though.

As far as durability, well... only time will tell.   :cheers:

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »
What is the old saying.  Keep the faith.  I am glad to hear it is going well so far.  On the throttles there are I believe 3 detentes. They are I believe presets.  The last one if I am right is for Jets and is full throttle.  Passing through that would be afterburners.