Author Topic: I cannot get my external hard drive to show up  (Read 236 times)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
I cannot get my external hard drive to show up
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »
I have been trying to get some pictures off of my external hard drive after a system reformat, and even though I have the drive plugged into the USB port in the back of the computer, it still refuses to show up. I am using a SimpleTech SimpleDrive 500GB hard drive and have had it for 6 months or so, if that helps. Any suggestions on how to get it to show up in My Computer? The little ON light on the front is on when I plug it in.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: I cannot get my external hard drive to show up
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:49:29 PM »
I would say that most likely your motherboard or USB drivers aren't installed.  Go to your motherboard's website and download them.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »
Have you tried an more then one USB port on your computer, or better yet have you tried a USB port on an other computer? If it works on an other computer that isolates the problem to your computer specifically. I never used an external hard drive but I assume they work like an other Mass-Storage Device and should be PnP. Try my first suggestion as I'm curious to the result if you try it in an other comp. After that I'll see if I can't help you out better if someone else or yourself hasn't by then.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »
What os Enkre? If its xp, mine does that sometimes. To resolve it, I force a run of Device Wizard (which should run automatically). IIRC, I go into my computer, properties, hardware, device manager - if it shows up on that with a yellow question mark. You should be able to do the same (I'm at work, otherwise I'd check for you)

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:02:12 PM »
Wurzel, it doesn't show up on the Device manager at all. I run XP.

AirFlyer, it worked in that USB port six days ago, and the only other computers I have in the house are Macs from before USB 2.0.

Tigger, where and how might I find out what motherboard I have? I am looking at the Device Manager, and have no idea as to what it is.
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »
The easiest way to find out your motherboard is to open DirectX Diagnostic.

Go to Start ---> Run ---> dxdiag

This will open a window for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Go under the system tab and look to see what your "System Model" is.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
Doh, I got it totally wrong - plug it in, and run the add new hardware wizard (control panel, add new hardware).

That may pick it up.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:01:22 AM »
Alright,

Wurzel, it was not found by the Add New Hardware wizard.

And I installed my motherboards drivers, and it does not show up.

EDIT: Scratch that; We switched cables from a USB cord to a firewire cord. It works perfectly now. Thanks for the help though, I now have a working version of ATI CCC now. :salute
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:35:53 AM by Enker »