Author Topic: how to solve this?  (Read 985 times)

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
how to solve this?
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »
If i use track-ir my f4u's rear views are more limited respect when i use keyboards.

Any suggest?

TY

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
Re: how to solve this?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »
Yes! I ran into that when I switched to track-ir too.

Good news and bad news:

Bad news: you will never get as good rear views with the TrackIR, compared to keyboard. I *think* this has to do with saving head positions, which you can do with TrackIR.

Good news: after you get the hang of it, you can get pretty close. Mine still takes some work to get good rear views, and it's not consistent. 3 things that REALLY helped me:
1) set up a profile in trackiR. Mine has a big deadzone, because I was getting seasick every time I moved my head just a little. Now it won't start panning unless I'm really meaning to.
2) map a button on your joystick or throttle to the Track-IR center (F12 by default). I use this A LOT. I have the reflector things, maybe that's why, I dunno, but my view can drift "off" every once in a while.
3) in AH settings, uncheck the track-ir setting for translation. Not sure the exact verbage used. I read somewhere to have that checked, and it made it really confusing for me. When I wanted to look back and to the side, I had to move my head in what seemed the opposite direction to me. After I switched it, it's much more straightforward. Not just sideways movement, but distance from your headrest.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:23 AM »
Lean forward so your head is closer to the monitor. Recenter TrackIR. Now when you look back you should have a better view because your head position is farther away from the headrest.

Offline Nurminen

• Nickel Member

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
FLS: I used to do that, before turning off that "translation" flag in AH, and now I don't need to do that any more. I can't say I understand why, but now TrackIR acts like think it should.

oh... one more thing about track IR is to have the "look forward" view mapped to your stick somewhere, and then hold it down when getting ready to fire.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
Warty try flying an F4u, you'll find that recentering with your head forward still makes a noticeable difference. You don't need to over-ride TIR with a forward hat view as long as you set enough deadband in your profile.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
I find the best way to get relatively low-hassle decent 6 views with TIR and the hog, is to move your head as high up as possible with PgUp and hit F10.  This will set your 'home' position to a higher point, and when you slide to the sides to look over your shoulders it gives a pretty good view.

The only one you can't go all the way up in is the -1 as its gunsight is too small to see the dot if you're all the way up.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
I will try.

TY

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
FLS: I fly the hawg not very often, but I dunno... I still don't need to do that much anymore. I may just be compensating some other way, and not aware of it.

TrackIR has been a mixed blessing to me... I still cant' track people in back views as well as I did with a hat. The funny thing to me is that after being off for 10 years, my thumb and pinkie (up view) still knew how to do all the tracking with the hat. That is some bizarro stuff, muscle memory.

as for front view, I haven't tried NOT using the forward-lock view since about a week after I got trackIR, so you could be absolutely right about that and I never noticed. I'll try it without it. Now THAT's in my muscle memory though, so...

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 06:34:26 AM »
Warty if you aren't seeing much difference it may be that have your head position set forward already as the default position. The default position wasn't adjustable for TIR when I was developing my TIR habit but HTC added that last year IIRC.

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
Usually to counter the F4U problem, the way that AH trackIR view system works is that the DEFAULT TrackIR mode with the TrackIR centered (without leaning forward prior) will pivot on its center AS LONG as you don't hit the edge of your cockpit view translation boundaries. In that case, you will have a very poor 6o clock view in the F4U. Here are a bunch of tricks I developped over my first times after getting TrackIR:

-->Leaning forward prior to centering track IR will allow you to look back with your view slightly to the side when looking dead 6o clock. That's because the AH view system will be "glued" (at your seat in this case) on the view translation edge or "box" as you pivot your view around. (This box is more perceptible when you set and save your default views with the keyboard... which I will talk about below regarding a small problem)

-->Leaning to the side prior to looking back will use this glue effect to be able to look straight back and to the side if your cockpit frame (such as Tempest/P51) requires such use.

-->Having your hatswitch on your stick allowing the 6o clock view will allow you to look straight at your 6 and then leaning to the side left or right to have a better view.

-->If you have MS flight simulator and use track IR, this problem is not present as its using relative mode such as available in the AH view options and is much more confortable. Such option I don't like in AH because I'm used to having my view "Glued" inside the cockpit for looking back. So this option has its good and bad. Your choice but worth trying out, especially in combat!

-->Also, on a side note, after a patch stipulating in its fixes list that the cockpit view limitations were more suited to the cockpit shape or updated, this fix only worked for users without TrackIR. So you will notice for example in the P47 that you can translate your view much farther to the sides then while using trackIR.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:00:54 PM by Lepape2 »
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
Nooooooo,

I did all these ... I was looking for a better solution ....   :cry    :cry    :cry

TY

:cry
mobilis in mobile

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
When in despair, talk to god... huh, i mean HiTech  :cheers:
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline lulu