Author Topic: CH Problems & Questions  (Read 525 times)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
CH Problems & Questions
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:34:53 PM »
I have a CH fighterstick.  It sometimes seems like it goes out of calibration - works really fast on the left side, and normal on the right.  Same way with the elevator controls - really super-dooper quick one direction, and normal the other.

I know that I've read about using a powered USB hub, and I've tried that and it doesn't seem to work all the time.  My questions is: if the USB hub is an old one that was made for the older USB connections (1.0?), and my computer has the newer USB connections (2.0?), would that be creating the problem?  If not, any ideas on what could be causing this?

I have calibrated the stick in both the CH contoller manager as well as the AH control setup area, and it still does it.  I know that CH joysticks are supposed to be top of the line, so this is really puzzling me.  Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or suggestions!

John

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: CH Problems & Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »
Make sure the trim pots are centered before you calibrate, and haven't been moved.

Also I don't think the usb 1.0-2.0 compatibility should be an issue. What I would be concerned with is that the powered part of the hub no longer works.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:09:53 PM by SIK1 »
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »
Yeah, what SIK1 said.

Make sure the two trim wheels are centered to the detent and leave them alone - then recalibrate in the CH manager and in-game.  I taped a small piece of wood next to each so I don't accidentally bump them while flying.

USB 2.0 ports should be backwards compatible with USB 1.0 devices, but the throughput suffers - might make a slight difference in response time.  Best way to test if the hub is still providing power is to power off your PC and see if the LED on your stick stays lit.  I might recommend getting a newer powered hub - they're cheap enough.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:34:02 PM »
The Figherstick being USB 2.0 isn't going to degrade its performance if its connnected to a USB 1.0 powered hub, when it comes to controllers, the 1.0/2.0 standards isn't going to affect your controllers.  What will affect the controllers is insuffient voltage from the USB ports.

I'd do what SIK1 suggest and I'd also recommend you clean the contact leads on the potentiometer as well to ensure that the potentiometers aren't the problem.  If you try another powered USB hub and the problem still exists, try the controller by itself on another computer if possible but without the powered USB hub.  If the stick still does it, then connect it to the 2nd computer again and use a powered USB hub.  If the problem still exists after making sure the trim dials are centered, you've cleaned the contact leads on the pots and have tried it on another system with and without the powered USB hub then the problem is a dying potentiometer.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 08:36:37 PM »
I had a couple of times at the beginning of the month all my stick settings just disappeared so after much frustration reloaded every thing back per plane & it happened again? Turned out there was a driver update that I did not know about well infact I had missed several, loaded the new driver & problem solved.

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »
Thanks for the ideas everybody!  I'll try them out tomorrow and hopefully find one of them that solves the problem.

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »
Ok - I feel like a total idiot! :o

The trim wheels were not centered. (just at the right height for a roving 4 yr old to play with them . . . )  Centering them and re-calibrating seems to have cleared up the problem - it's now acting like a real CH joystick again.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions - I shall now return to being the target for all of you in the skies of AHII.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »
SKJohn, don't worry: you are not the first CH Fighterstick owner whose kids twiddled with those trim wheels!  Welcome to the club!  :lol

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:42:43 PM »
Sure blame the kids.  :neener:
 :rofl
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:29:34 PM »
Go to CHhanger (google) They have had this problem posted before.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 11:57:23 PM »
Sure blame the kids.  :neener:
 :rofl

Honest - it was him!  And when I get shot down, it was him flying!  You gotta believe me! :D

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:14:39 AM »
Macgyver builds all my stuff.
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php