Author Topic: From Twisty Stick to Rudder Pedals  (Read 1209 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: From Twisty Stick to Rudder Pedals
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »
Didn't have any problems when I transitioned, but that may be my mind is younger then you old farts and can get use to it quickly. :devil

While it's not realistic, one thing I've noticed helped was reversing the pedals.  By this I mean the Right pedal turns you Left and vice versa.  Seems more natural for me, so I don't have to stop and think about which one to hit.  Think it may be I'm use to hitting Left and seeing a Right reaction and such, as with Racing games, watching a car at the starting line, pressing the gas pedal (right pedal) makes the car tilt to the Left, the Brake/Reverse (Left pedal) tilts it to the Right.  It applies to other things, take a box for example:  Press the Left back corner with your hand and it turns the front to the Right.

Just something to try anyways.  The option for reversing them is:  Clipboard>Options>Map Controllers>Highlight Rudder Axis>Advanced>Check "Reverse Axis". :)

Us old farts understand that if you didn't have any problems transitioning with your young mind you wouldn't have had to reverse your pedals.  :old:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:36:26 PM by FLS »

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
Yup went through this myself. Kept trying to steer with my feet like a steering wheel which is completely backwards. Keep at it. One thing I suggest it going barefoot or just socks on. It helps with the feel. Takes a while to get used to.

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »
It was awkward at first for me. However, I had only been flying for about 6 months in total with a twisty stick before switching to pedals so I believe the habit was easier to break. I use Saitek gear and had to lock my stick to avoid temptation (X-52) but I know a guy who left the twist axis open and he learned to use his pedals while twisting the stick.

In the end, I feel as though my rudder authority has improved by switching over. The ability to control elevator/aileron independently without inadvertently ruddering when twisting the stick has really helped me smooth out my maneuvering. It's a pain to get used to... but in the end it's well worth it! Keep at it.  :aok
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 04:49:02 AM »
I went from keyboard to rudder pedals and after a couple days to a week of pretty constant play you get used to it, I couldn't do without them now.  I think it would be good if you unmapped the twist function of your joystick so you aren't tempted to rely on it, or map it to bailing out as a punishment for your forgetfulness.  :).
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »
Didn't have any problems when I transitioned, but that may be my mind is younger then you old farts and can get use to it quickly. :devil

While it's not realistic, one thing I've noticed helped was reversing the pedals.  By this I mean the Right pedal turns you Left and vice versa.  Seems more natural for me, so I don't have to stop and think about which one to hit.  Think it may be I'm use to hitting Left and seeing a Right reaction and such, as with Racing games, watching a car at the starting line, pressing the gas pedal (right pedal) makes the car tilt to the Left, the Brake/Reverse (Left pedal) tilts it to the Right.  It applies to other things, take a box for example:  Press the Left back corner with your hand and it turns the front to the Right.

Just something to try anyways.  The option for reversing them is:  Clipboard>Options>Map Controllers>Highlight Rudder Axis>Advanced>Check "Reverse Axis". :)
That was the big thing for me--for decades playing in the snow..skiing, steering sled, etc...I always pushed my right foot to go left, and that was my instinct when I got my CH pedals,so I inverted them. Helped tremendously. Alas, if I pick up my flying lessons again, it could be dangerous. :noid I'm thinking of switching the inputs back to normal, and suffering thru a month or 2 of even stupider deaths than normal, until it seems normal. Of course...THEN I could break my neck skiing or sledding....sigh
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/