Author Topic: "WALK ONS" in FSO -- Learn from this!  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
"WALK ONS" in FSO -- Learn from this!
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:47:37 PM »
A bad thing happened in last nights FSO and I'd like to clear it up.

Earlier in the week, we had offered a guest a slot to fly with our squad in FSO.  When he came on, he typed in country channel a question of whether or not Walk Ons were allowed.

Knowing that he was an invited guest (vice a freelancer, aka "Walk On"), I replied "Yes" (meaning it was OK for him to be joining us for the night).

Quickly thereafter, an exchange challenging whether "Walk Ons" were allowed ensued on country channel. 

My statement of "Yes, they are" was dead wrong (what I meant, and what I said were different).

The CMs for FSO have a very well-written explanation of what a "Walk On" is, and why they are not allowed (http://ahevents.org/fso-related/fso-walk-ons.html). 

The CMs that run FSO devote a lot of time and effort to making it a fair and fun event for all of us.  They have a well thought out and time-tested process.  We need to stay within the rules. I meant no disrespect to them, I hold them in high esteem.

Bottom Line for FSO is this:   If you are not an invited Guest to fly with a squadron (through prior coordination), then you are considered a "Walk On".  Walk Ons are NOT allowed in FSO for good reasons.

If you have an invited guest coming to play in an event, have them PM you to coordinate getting into uniform (vice asking on country channel, "who needs a player?").  In doing so, you will avoid giving the appearance of taking on a "Walk On".

I am sorry if I have caused anyone confusion WRT "Walk Ons".    They are decidedly NOT ALLOWED in FSO.

-Rodent57

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: "WALK ONS" in FSO -- Learn from this!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 05:03:20 PM »
Why are you making a thread about this topic?

And technically speaking, you're still off slightly....... Only slightly.....  The general rule is "no walk-ons" but that doesn't mean people can't come in and try to get a spot that is open within a squad.  Walk-On's are welcome to request membership to an FSO squad (get into uniform).  At the takeoff point, all pilots out of uniform are removed. 

Did a CM give you an attitude about what you wrote, or was it just a regular pilot like myself?

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:06:02 PM »
Not to stir the pot, but...

People coming into FSO with no previous contact with a member of an FSO squad is a "walk on".  Based on Rodent's statements, this was not the case with his guest; but the way it went down cause quite the ruckus.  When someone broadcasts on country channel "anyone have an open spot for me?", that raises the red flag of "walk on".

Here's a link to the Walkons thread in the FSO forum, which clearly shows what can happen because people's opinions on what is a "walk on", and their understanding of the situation, can vary.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:28:39 PM »
LLogann,

No one gave me an "attitude" about it.

I started the thread because of confusion that I may have started, and to get an oft misunderstood topic out and understood for all that participate in FSO.

IMADOT is correct.  Anyone not having been previously coordinated with (invited) is a Walk on, and by rule, they are not allowed (the link I posted in my first missive spells it out very well).

By rule, one can not simply "Walk On" and say, "Anyone need a player?".  The reasons for that rule are clear if you read the FSO Rule and explanation.  FSO is designed to be Squadron Operations (as opposed to free roaming play).When the CMs asked if anyone is "Claiming" a player that out of uniform, they are NOT saying it is OK to be a "Walk on", nor that its OK to claim one.  They are essentially asking the SQD Admin that may have invited them to get them into uniform before the CMs are forced to remove them.

I'm a big fan of FSO (I prefer it to the MAs) and am not terribly pleased that I added anything to detract from it.

Hope this makes it plain for everyone, if not, I defer to the FSO CMs to explain it better.

-Rodent57

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 06:32:22 PM »
Just reading that other thread now....... whoa.....................   :salute

LLogann,

No one gave me an "attitude" about it.

See Rule #4

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »
LLogann...walk ons are not allowed at all. The FSO rules are very specific about it.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »
LLogann...walk ons are not allowed at all. The FSO rules are very specific about it.
i went there to ask a few questions about how to get in and the CM allowed me into a squad to fight but i declined having that feeling like i shouldnt stay and left forthwith...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:00:28 AM »
Now we are debating the definition of the term walk-on?  Okay, I'll bite.........

ANYBODY that is not in uniform is a walk-on in my book.... Based on my opinion of what a walk-on is. 
See Rule #4

Offline Mato

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
If we're throwing opinions in, here's mine.

If a player comes into the arena by invitaion from an FSO squad, then said player is not a walk on.
He just hasn't been issued a uniform yet.
If a player comes into the arean looking for any squad that will take him, then the player is a walk on.
That's just my little opinion on this matter

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »

<snip>

...The general rule is "no walk-ons" but that doesn't mean people can't come in and try to get a spot that is open within a squad.  Walk-On's are welcome to request membership to an FSO squad (get into uniform).  At the takeoff point, all pilots out of uniform are removed.

This is dead wrong, and will have consequences to both the player and the squad.

Many players have open invitations with FSO squads, they don't broadcast on country text channel, but any player broadcasting an open appeal to join in, is a walk-on (see the exact definition on the FSO pages.)

You could find that both the walk-on, and the player recruiting him, can end up grounded, a tool recently given the CM team just for this purpose.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 11:39:46 AM »
people who violate the walk on rule should be banned for life.  This is not a game.  this is FSO.  Believe it, live it...LOVE it!!!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 11:55:30 AM »
Ok, valid point sir.............  I have to agree that using Country Channel would be completely wrong.  

Many players have open invitations with FSO squads, they don't broadcast on country text channel, but any player broadcasting an open appeal to join in, is a walk-on (see the exact definition on the FSO pages.)

Addendum: Do not confuse my opinion of "walking on" with the FSO CM definition of it.....  But since we are in general discussion, I felt the need to discuss my thoughts, generally.   :D  In the end, what we may call one thing or another matters not......  Following rules and guidelines is not a hard thing for people to do.  Just Do It!
See Rule #4

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »
Now we are debating the definition of the term walk-on?  Okay, I'll bite.........

ANYBODY that is not in uniform is a walk-on in my book.... Based on my opinion of what a walk-on is. 
No debate bud...just saying. My squad made a similar mistake with someone we were not familiar with...it wasn't broadcast over 200 but we accepted him as a temp for the frame and in so doing, his actions reflected on us and I requested a CM to eject him within 30 minutes. Pre arranged invites are one thing...but people jumping into the FSO thinking it's just like the SEC or Snapshots is totally different and those people need to familiarize themselves with the FSO rules.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 03:10:31 PM »
In brief...

A walk on player is someone who does not normally fly with an FSO squad and enters the Special Events Arena, (SEA) and, (this is the important part) on country or some other open channel asks for a ride, or for a squad to pick them up so they can participate. Once that is done, they are viewed as a walk on player by all CM's.

Any player who wants to participate in FSO, but their squad does not, MUST contact a squad prior to the frame via the forums, PM's, e-mails, etc. If they are welcomed by that squad and are allowed to participate, then, when they come into the SEA they must contact the hosting squad directly.

Even if a player contacted a squad prior and went through the proper steps, but then asks on country channel for a ride in FSO they will be considered a walk on from that moment on and will have lost their chance to participate for that frame. As squad C.O.'s or flight leaders you must emphasize your guest is to contact their hosting squad directly on their squad channel.

Thanks Rodent! :)

<S>

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »
In the past, our squad as been pestered by late-comers to let them attach to us for the fram for whatever reason.  We learned quite quickly that this was an exceedingly BAD idea as some were obnoxious, some were rude, and some killed friendlies and had no respect for the FSO at all.

Our policy since is that we do not allow unattached players to join our squad in FSO if they are not either:

A)  A member of our squad in MA

B)  Their MA squad does not participate in FSO and have made arraingments with us in advance to fly FSO.  There are some who's MA squad does not have an FSO squad and we welcome them to make prior PM or email arraingments to have fun with us.

FSO is a FANTASTIC aspect of this game that so many have never even tried.  Also, my hat is off to those who are FSO organizers and CiC, as it take more preperation and work than most realize.   :salute

ROX