Author Topic: One large arena  (Read 857 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: One large arena
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:23 AM »
Or even just players in different timezones.

So like, 50 in orange, 50 in blue, on big maps and no fights?  Any late night guy knows that the fights are stretched thin with 100-110 players as it is now.

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 08:02:38 AM »
I work odd hours for the US timezones, so fly odd ones as well.

It's unhealthy to have one arena capped at low numbers and the other without a fight to be found.  Have one big arena during off-peak hours please; if you must split them, then do it during prime-time for the rumored 'social health' of AHII  :devil

I think the "multiplayer" aspect of the game is crippled when you have one capped arena, and one with 9 players all score-whoring and avoiding fights while tool-shedding where they can.
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 09:06:08 AM »
Late night numbers would look something like this:
Orange: 80/75 Blue: 20/75

Late night players = Quit.

Yeah.  You're right.  There's a huuuge difference between 80/75 and 100/100.

One would assume there would still be a minimum cap like there is now versus 22/20 and 10/25, wouldn't one?

Of course, according to your logic, more players would miraculously appear late night if there were no caps.

Wait.  There are no caps late night now.....

How many are on late night now?  200 or so?  So 101/100, 80/150 is worse than 151/400, 30/400?

If you have caps all the time you never have the situation where the caps start at noon and give the seemingly large disparity in numbers, 180/100, 40/150.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »
wrongway, I suggest you start watching the actual login / arena numbers for those periods before making any suggestions.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »
wrongway, I suggest you start watching the actual login / arena numbers for those periods before making any suggestions.

I'm sure he's seen it. I logged in at 7am PST today and found one arena capped with the other having 8 players in it.  A bit frustrating (<--kicks that horse on the ground).  Spent an hour letting the horses out and feeding the chickens (for real, just got 20 acres here in Oregon, lol!) then was able to get into the arena with a decent number of victims.   :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:25:29 AM by Warspawn »
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »
I'm sure he's seen it.

I'm not talking of a single "seen it"
I really mean on checking the login screen for hours, noting the player numbers before making any suggestions, particularly "CAPS on all the times"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »

I actually play those hours.   :D

I'm sure he's seen it. I logged in at 7am PST today and found one arena capped with the other having 8 players in it.  A bit frustrating (<--kicks that horse on the ground).  Spent an hour letting the horses out and feeding the chickens (for real, just got 20 acres here in Oregon, lol!) then was able to get into the arena with a decent number of victims.   :D

There are no caps at 7am PST.

Right now, the numbers are 101/400-13/400.

If you had caps on all the time with a minimum of 100, the numbers would be 100/100-14/150.  Virtually no difference.  Of cource if you're number 115 trying to get into the "full" arena, you're kind of screwed. 

On the other hand, it's no harder waiting for that one person to leave the "full" arena than if the numbers were 201/200-110/250.  Much easier than trying to get into the 201/150-50/200 "full" arena right after the caps kick in.

At the very least, with caps all the time, the smaller arena should fill up faster and give you a 100/100-75/150 situation faster.  More people to fight sooner.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »
I actually play those hours.   :D

Do what i did one day.

Stop playing and record the login numbers for a few hours.
You would see that your proposal would not make sense.

Player numbers are increasing way too slow at that times to make it feasible. The second arena would be stuck at 20, 30 players for extended times.
Not only that I am forced to play with numbers less than 100 on my prime time, with your proposal I would have to face the same when I manage to log in on the afternoon. WTG!

The introduction of CAPs massively impaired my gaming experience... I really appreciate your try to make it worse.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 10:09:56 AM »
Wonder if no arenas will solve all those problems.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Wonder if no arenas will solve all those problems.

Probably. Would be worth a try  :D

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »
I sympathize with the Op's frustrations.  I usually play during peak hours so this issue has no effect on me.  I usually have the choice of two fully manned arenas to choose from.  A choice between a capped arena and an arena with low teen or single digit attendance sounds quite boring.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »
You could try making it LW Purple and LW pink....then we would see who goes where and snub our noses at them  :D

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 11:48:22 PM »
Do what i did one day.

Stop playing and record the login numbers for a few hours.
You would see that your proposal would not make sense.

Player numbers are increasing way too slow at that times to make it feasible. The second arena would be stuck at 20, 30 players for extended times.
Not only that I am forced to play with numbers less than 100 on my prime time, with your proposal I would have to face the same when I manage to log in on the afternoon. WTG!

The introduction of CAPs massively impaired my gaming experience... I really appreciate your try to make it worse.

I was wrong.  I don't play at those times usually.

However, with caps all the time, when you do log on, right after noon CSDT, you would either have two arenas with numbers closer together, say 100/100-80/150, or, if even fewer are on, 100/100-30/150.

You would be no worse off than you are with things like they are now.  The smaller arena would fill faster and close in numbers with the "full" arena sooner.  At the very least it would be easier to get into the "full" arena as you would only have to wait for one person to leave.

How is this worse than 160/100-20/150?  Does the open arena fill faster when there are even more people, and a longer wait for a spot, in the "full" arena now?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
You could try making it LW Purple and LW pink....then we would see who goes where and snub our noses at them  :D
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl