Author Topic: One large arena  (Read 862 times)

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
One large arena
« on: July 05, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
HTC.

Suggestion.

Until the 'economy' picks up and thus subscribers, merge the two arenas.  

I can't tell you how many times lately, I've had about 30 minutes to kill (or wanted to pretend I did) and log in to see my arena capped.  Log in and out several times to refresh, same result.  Log off, go do man chores.  :(

My drilling, painting, running to the store, laundry, bill paying, cleaning skills doth not need tested, I'm already a seasoned vet.  I need more stick time.  For me, this resulted in my recent 9 month hiatus to some small degree.  I just didn't have the time in the evening that I used to.  I only wished to play a little here and there, maybe when I get home from work and just before bed.  But if I had to fight to log in, it just didn't seem worth it, I had other things to do or others games I would just jump into.  

I know this doesn't bode well with many that loathed tragic tuesday glitches, but in the few tuesdays since being back, I really haven't seen much in the way of issues because of this as the amount of people on during peak hours is far less now.  Correct me if I am wrong of course.

Just a suggestion, I think it would help out.  Personally I think it's a good business decision but what the heck do I know?  :headscratch:

I apologize that if in my absence this horse has been beaten back to the simple protein stage on the sulfur lake, but I wanted to put it out there.

:cheers:

EDIT!  Sorry guys, my eyes are getting bad in my old age.  I see there actually is another thread about this already on this same page named "herding arenas".  While my approach may be different, the sentiment is the same. Sad to see some of the responses from the lifers though bashing a new sub.  The very thing that may well keep this game afloat.  Without folks like that, this game will not last.  Don't bash the new guys, they may very well save your national pastime. 

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:46:59 PM by Sincraft »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: One large arena
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 01:09:41 PM »
Sincraft, no offense (even though it would be easy based on the assumptions you posted) but do you have any concrete evidence that the number of paying players has declined due to the economy and that arena caps have contributed to the decline? There have been many discussions here about the "loss of players due to arena caps" since they were put in place and yet here we sit some 4(?) years later with arena caps still in place and no evidence from the people who have full access to the data that shows the arena caps has contributed to a decline in the number of paying players.

The one truly amazing thing is the number of business economic experts on these forums that tell HTC their business decisions are wrong without having any actual knowledge from inside the company. You think any of these "experts" realize that if arena caps, or any of the multitude of changes over the past year that have brought out the "angry experts" was causing so much of a decline in player population since the day they were instituted that the arena caps would have stopped being an issue because there wouldn't be enough players to fill a single arena at it's lowest cap point?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
HT concluded hundreds+ in each arena was a net turnoff (Though admittedly it does suck during the periods when Orange is capped, and Blue has like 60 guys)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
     Man these dead horses sure can take a beating, huh?
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »
It's been discussed many times over the years, and in HiTech's house it ain't gonna happen. End of story.
I will say that over these same years, my own opinion (which matters not) is that I am not sold on the "health of the community" explanation. Many other games have an outlandishly huge player base, and somehow they thrive very well. I am most likely way off, but I tend to believe it's more about the technical capacity of what the servers can handle.

I will never really know for sure.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »
Many other games have an outlandishly huge player base, and somehow they thrive very well.

But those games have lots of servers with different regions... the outlandish number of players are not in the same room at the same time.
Actually there is a limit where meaningful social  interaction is still possible
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »
HTC really just needs to sticky the reasons for arena caps and ENY.

I just don't understand why everyone is so dead set on getting into Orange all the time.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:26:37 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 04:46:09 PM »

I just don't understand why everyone is so dead set on getting into Orange all the time.

:aok Good idea! :)
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »

its NOT orange per se, its which ever arena is most populated. no one wants to play in the arena that is 20/150, and the other is 120/100.

and yes, the horse has been beaten beyond hamburger.

NOT

AKNOT

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »

Man .. I'm surprized the dead horses dont get up and frolic around... the policy sucks so bad.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 05:16:12 PM »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »
24 hour a day caps.

Try it for a month. 

I dare ya.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 01:46:12 AM »
24 hour a day caps.

Try it for a month. 

I dare ya.

(Image removed from quote.)

wrongway

Yea  :rock     Pappy lives on  :salute

froger
frogs are people too

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 07:00:45 AM »
24 hour a day caps.

Try it for a month.  

I dare ya.

(Image removed from quote.)

wrongway

Late night numbers would look something like this:
Orange: 80/75 Blue: 20/75

Late night players = Quit.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 07:03:26 AM »
Late night numbers would look something like this:
Orange: 80/75 Blue: 20/75

Late night players = Quit.

Or even just players in different timezones.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ