Author Topic: Prop damage  (Read 1459 times)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Re: Prop damage
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
in
Strokes

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 09:45:06 PM »
Wow.   :O

You're good.

wrongway

Oh come on Wrongway, Helen Keller could have seen THAT one coming  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 05:35:37 AM »
I thINK the Hammer will fall shortly!
                    <S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »
We may add this effect at some point, basically the plane would start shaking violently, possibly loose engine if throttle is not reduced.

Also I have personal experience with this effect. Was cruising  nicely at 8500 on a cross country,suddenly I hear the loudest bang I care to hear in an airplane followed by the plane shaking  violently. My spinner decided to disintegrate, leaving pieces of the back plate still attached and hence greatly out of balance. You would not believe how quickly you can pull a throttle back, of course that make the engine stop do to lean mixture at cruise.

HiTech

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »
Also I have personal experience with this effect. Was cruising  nicely at 8500 on a cross country,suddenly I hear the loudest bang I care to hear in an airplane followed by the plane shaking  violently. My spinner decided to disintegrate, leaving pieces of the back plate still attached and hence greatly out of balance. You would not believe how quickly you can pull a throttle back, of course that make the engine stop do to lean mixture at cruise.

HiTech
Finish the story! 

What happened?  What airplane?  How many engines?  Contributing factors?  Cause?  Remedial actions?

You're leaving us hanging here. 
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 11:29:02 AM »
Finish the story! 

What happened?  What airplane?  How many engines?  Contributing factors?  Cause?  Remedial actions?

I think he survived  :P
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 11:36:05 AM »
Nah, he reappeared in the tower.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
Nah, he reappeared in the tower.
Not exactly, AckAck and Grizz picked him, then he disappeared to tower.  :D
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »
We may add this effect at some point, basically the plane would start shaking violently, possibly loose engine if throttle is not reduced.

HiTech

Would be a welcomed  addition  to the damage model for engines.    My “oh sh__” moment came while instructing a student on a night IFR cross county.  She had packed a Rubbermaid container with some items she returned to her sister who met us at KDCA.   With all the good byes’ said , she placed the now empty sealed Rubbermaid container in the rear compartment , fired up the 182 and got her clearance and taxi instructions.  Off we went bound for KBLM.  Climbing up to our assigned altitude of 7000 feet.  Two things occurred at almost the exact same time as we passed through 6000,  a very  large bang, followed by a whiff of smoke.  We were actual at the time and she was hand flying and doing pretty well until the bang.   My initial scan of the engine gages showed all was well with the engine , comms  worked, my next thought was about the control cables, perhaps one of them had separated and under the strain had snapped back and made the bang sound.  The aircraft was trimmed for a climb and as we approached 7000feet I took a big breath and pushed the yoke forward to lower the nose.  We leveled out, the yoke felt normal.  I turned on the autopilot and requested a vector to the closest airport which was KSBY.   I shot the approach and broke out at 1200 in light rain.  At the ramp they pushed us into a hanger and pulled the cowling.  In the light of the hanger we discovered the top of the Rubbermaid container in front of the rear seats on the floor,  that was the source of the bang, inside the cowling, to far back to be seen during a normal walk around/preflight inspection was a chard mechanics rag, the whiff of smoke.     
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 02:57:38 PM »
Finish the story! 

Well shortly after the engine stopped running the shaking stopped (rest of the pieces also decided to go with their friends)  at this point the I am  much much happier because shaking plane, visions of engine leaving plane were going threw my head.

So now that the shaking is stopped (at this point all I know is a loud bang happened followed by shaking) I push the mixture ahead and engine begins to ideal. Hmm I feel much better now and I do a gauge scan. Nothing showing wrong so I give a little throttle, hmm nothing shaking and I think  maybe landing would be a good idea and I press the nearest button (Hearne Texas) about 7 miles out. Proceed direct and on final I noticed somthing doesn't look right, but in my head Im thinking something broke or was hit like landing gear.

Tires go squeak squeak and I feel better. Park the plane and then found what the problem was. Most nervous I ever was in a plane, was the next week when I picked the plane back up form Hearne and flew home. Engine was going into auto rough just like it does over water , the entire flight home.

HiTech

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »

You call this living??  :p
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »
You call this living??  :p
There is a difference between "living" and "survived". Could be brain dead on life support and call it "survived"...or on AH and semi-functional and "survived".  :D
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett