Author Topic: Lost TCP - and not sure what to try next  (Read 393 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Lost TCP - and not sure what to try next
« on: December 17, 2010, 08:22:19 PM »
Just getting back into the game, and running into yet another problem. After about 5-10 minutes into being online, I'm losing TCP consistently. I've turned off my firewall and antivirus with no change in the pattern. Pingplotter is showing consistent times, little variance, and total round trip of about 50ms with no packet loss.

Not sure where to go next, and facing a long disappointing weekend if can't get this figured out....

Thanks for any suggestions.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Lost TCP - and not sure what to try next
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 08:54:06 PM »
With all the problems you've been having, have you posted a dxdiag report yet? I don't remember seeing one, just a list of your stuff. Dxdiag might show some issues with the drivers or something so it may help. Just the first third will be enough.

It sounds to me like you still have a bug or two in that computer. Did she use it just to post on facebook, or did she play all of the games and take all of the quizzes too? What are you using for antivirus? some are worst than the viruses they say they block.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:56:14 AM »
Did post DxDiag: Here  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,302137.0.html

After starting this thread, I ran pingplotter again and let it go for a good while. Turns out one of the hops in my current route to HTC, after long runs of perfection, has intermittent 100% packet loss. Big old red bar that's killng AH...

They probably have a piece of hardware that's gone bad, but guessing that doesn't help me. Any idea how to make my packets choose a different route?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
About the only way to get a different route is to start shooting people at your ISP   :D  Send them the plot route with the packet loss and keep complaining. You might get some quick action. On the other hand, tis the season, and everyone and their brother is buying stuff on the internet which plays havoc on connections. You might want to wait until after the holidays settle down to start jumping down your ISPs throat.

The other thing is you drivers. Too many people jump on the band wagon of updating their drivers when ever they can. For new stuff this is a good idea, it's how they work the bugs out. For older stuff like your video card it's not always a good idea. My card came out around the same time as yours and I'm running a 2008 driver that runs flawless. Dropping back to an older driver might help you out with the crashes.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »
Did talk to my ISP (at least the tech guy who was on call on a friday night!) - and his take was that the problem is "off network", that they have no way to control the route path between two points on the net, and that it's up to the internet to take care of itself - when those efficiency algorithms work out that there is a problem, I guess.  Don't know enough to say whether or not that's true.

Frustrating thing is that this means the game is just not available to me, that I can't play on line until something magically fixes itself. Are these routes handled someplace in the architecture of the internet, or are they recorded somehow in my router? (wishful thinking, I know). I wish there was a way to clear some routing cache or something...at least then there would be something I could DO.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »
Whew.

The hop causing so much trouble yesterday cleaned up its act by 9 pm tonight. Actually got to fly for couple hours, a big relief.

Thanks to all those who thought about the problems I've been having, and for those who pitched in with suggestions. Hopefully I won't be bothering anyone in the Tech Support forums for a while!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
Send your ping plot to Skuzzy for analysis maybe. It could also be your DSL modem getting ready to take the celestial dirt nap.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.