Author Topic: 30mm Guns  (Read 428 times)

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
30mm Guns
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »
My dogfight skills don't seem to be getting any better, even with practice, so I decided to play with ground weapons a bit. I have been using the 30mm (i think thats what they are) at the airfields, but dont seem to be doing much better with them. Has anyone had much success defending an air field with these weapons? I have never had any indication that I'm even slightly hitting any target that I aim at.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: 30mm Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:40:52 AM »
The manned ack at airfields are 37mm.   If you hit with them, you will see a big white hit sprite that 99% of the time will kill a fighter or bring it down.  Bigger planes take more hits.  Effective range is something like 3.5K, but most hits happen at 1.5K or closer.  Make sure you have tracers enabled and try to fire where the plane is going, instead of where it is.  Lead is always different - according to angle, plane speed and distance.  Experiment with how much lead and watch the tracer rounds to get you in the ballpark.  Don't be shy about firing at bomber formations 3.5K or closer.  They fly straight and are big targets.

As far as success with the 37mm, I feel pretty dangerous in it (except when they come straight at me  :lol).  Best sortie was 16 kills but others have likely done better. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
these are 40mms and 1 hit will kill any fighter...the easiest g to a weapon is the m16 vehicule, which fires 50 cal.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »
Thanks..and stand corrected on the 37mm. memory isnt the best here. wherever here is..  :rolleyes:

Offline Hotrod1

• Zinc Member
      • 666th Barbarian FG
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
There is a good tutorial on how to shoot AA guns on the training corps website. good stuff and works pretty good.
"We are surrounded, that simplifies our problem"