Author Topic: Cost just to high for most....  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Cost just to high for most....
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2000, 04:58:00 PM »
Let me put it this way guys.

I'm currently unemployed  
Wife works a good job maybe 18k/year.
She has 35k in School loans to pay back.
Plus all the monthly bills. In short, times are tight.

STILL we find enough money to pay for AH & isp.

Don't even think about dropping the price.

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

eskimo

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2000, 05:31:00 PM »
If you have a computer that is modern enough to play AH, how much does it depreciate each year?  Probably way more than $360.  Most of us are paying $180 to $500+ just to be connected to the internet.  How much do we spend on input devices that wear out often?  I can't think of a hobby that is comparable in coolness to AH that is in it's price range.  The laws of supply and demand certainly state that lower prices yield more customers, but that does not nessesaraly mean a greater profit.  Ford cold sell a billion cars next year if they only priced them at $100 each.  They would have grossly passed the ideal profit margin though.  See the point?

The best $360 a year that I spend is on AH.

eskimo

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2000, 06:48:00 PM »

Itīs sad that quality coasts, but itīs a fact. 30$ a month keeps "butterflyers" away.
It also keeps our community "tight".

Crabofix "fish, salted, dry and fresh"

------------------
Flygflottlj.19(Lento R5)"swedish Gladiators"

ROCKEYE7

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2000, 05:22:00 AM »
Thanks for all the respective replies guys! And yes i do understand the need of any business provider to make decent money... Money can be made in numbers of customers also.

You can also restrict your income by putting the price out of range for alot of would be customers.

As far as keeping riff raff out hehe, most will not tolerate the complexity of this game so that is not a problem... Also consider the fact that alot of players can't play everyday either so maybe they only get time to play 2-3 times a week...

In relation to FA being 19.95 a month back when it started, they didnt' have many customers until they dropped the price to $9.95 a month... Now they average about 600 players online from around 10am to whenever...

I would bet having a monthly unlimted subscription price of 20 bucks a month would be easier to stomach than 30...

What i do like here is the excellant customer support that Pyro provides!!!!!!!
I may sign on for a few until my wife starts slapping me upside the head in disbelief on how any pc user can waste 30 bucks a month on a flight sim lol.

Good Day,
Kirk

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2000, 08:07:00 AM »
Another question to ask is what kind of customer load is HTC willing to handle?  I mean, most businesses just assume that the more customers you have the better without thinking of all the increased logistics involved.  And quite a few businesses have failed because they rashly built a mega-customer base while retaining a small business infrastructure. Of course, it would behoove HTC to not think of expansion, but OTOH a quality game built from a highly skilled group that prides itself on strong customer relations has a special, and viable, charm all its own.

As long as HTC's 'gang of six' keep their standards up there, and remain true to the game, $30/month will only seem like more and more of a deal.

Think about it.  We're seven months into this game since it went open beta.  Seven months.  In three times that amount, we'll have so many planes we'll be asking for hang gliders to fly off the slopes of A1, just for a change    Given that amount of time, who knows, maybe Hitech will get bored and decide, Heck, I guess I could do some AI for trains and ground troops  

And in three times the amount that Aces High has been out, it won't even be two years.

------------------
leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 04-12-2000).]
ingame: Raz

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2000, 10:00:00 AM »
 "In relation to FA being 19.95 a month back when it started, they didnt' have many customers until they dropped the price to $9.95 a month... Now they average about 600 players online from around 10am to whenever..."

I think you may have found some of the answer in your own  post to your question with that very line.  I'm not sure HTC are aiming to be just another Burger King or McDonalds massively multiplayer sim. The Zone and Gamestorm are what they are (sarcasm!) because of thier marketing decisions.
 I'd rather liken Aces High to a place where the product offered is much better, the staff is very knowlegable and friendly with alot of experience to know what the customers would like and the clientelle is mature and over all more intellegent.

If there is any doubt really as to what Aces High is about or who HTC is marketing to and what they are offering then go to the main page on thier website.
 It's quite different from what you would read at The Zone or Gamestorm.

-Westy

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2000, 10:56:00 AM »
Hey Kirk, if you're wife needs some talking too, I'm sure some of us could put her in touch with our wives. They'll politely explain to her that although annoying, having the husband playing AH is a lesser evil than having him spend time out at the bar or the strip joint.

:P

------------------
banana
308 (Polish) Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
Better yet, get the wife second job.  You'll have extra money to spend on AH, and she won't be around to nag.  

popeye

Just kidding, Olive.  OUCH!
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2000, 11:26:00 AM »
Okay, wives seem to be a common denominator when it comes to restrictive costs regarding OL gaming.  Here's what I said to my wife when I justified my $100  a month while flying in WB's when it went from beta to pay:

Wife: "$100 dollars on visa for online gaming!?!"

Rip: "Others spend more, like $300 a month"

Wife:"That is unacceptable"

Rip: "Okay, I'll just go back to stopping by the local bar and shooting pool, doing alittle pull-tab gambling, which averages $20-$40 a stop, twice a week, times 4 weeks in a month, which equals a min. max of anywhere between $160 and $320 a month that I used to spend doing that before I bought this computer."

Wife: "Try to keep your WB's bill under a $100 a month please!"

Rip: (Winks) "Okay."

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
=CO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

Turning Spitfires into Bud Lite cans since 1992

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-12-2000).]

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2000, 01:54:00 PM »
I have to admit, these guys are coding machines.

The amount of progress I've seen in 7 months is  incredible compared to the glacial progress I've seen in other online sims.

Its going to be an interesting year. ;>

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Pappy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2000, 06:51:00 PM »
Alot of mention about the 30 dollar price filter keeping out Quaker's and rifraf.
Like hell this place is full of text buffer tough guys who use thier keyboards to make their darring assaults.
I spend 30 bucks on one bottle of good sour mash so I'm not kiddin myself about it being to expensive but there will no doubt be other true war sims to come out and pander for our dollars, competition sets prices if it doesn't we sure are generous.
Air Warrior III though dated still IMHO had a better group, I feel that way because there isn't even close to as much teamwork in here, maybe on the squadron level, but I've seen very little at the country level.
If you think I'm wrong, TOUGH I'm tired of trying to make friends with board flamers, cry babbies and know it alls.
Anyone needs help with a mission other than furballing or squeaking about head-ons however, I got yer six.

jeff newman

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2000, 09:59:00 PM »
whhaaahhh!

www.aros.net/~gmartin/now/

------------------
jbnace
Life is
The greatest game of all

skippy

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2000, 09:51:00 AM »
OK...I go snow skiing 20-30 times a season, cost 60.00 a pop. I used to motoX cost 6000.00 a year in hardware fuel track fees. Flight cost 56.00 an hr. , you goto the movies or dinner show with a lady and costs 30-150 $ a pop (no pun intended). Weekend at Disneyland with 2 kids costs $600. if you bring your own food ! Your car depreciates like the NASDAQ or actually faster.  5 days in Hawaii for 2 costs $2000+ unless you like staying 10 miles inland. $30 a month for play time available 24hrs a day 7 days a week at your beck-n-call with the the service HTC prod. gives...HELL YA !  it's a steal ! I've tried some of them other sims ..except Warbirds and they are rediculous , worse than the .25 cent arcade games in the movie house. This game has saved me at least $200 in the last week alone since my nephew is visiting , he's glued to this game (so i dont have to take him or his buddies around town!)This weekend him and his buddies are gonna have a little tourney playing AH against each other then he flies back to his unit so i'm gonna save some big money this weekend also ! They'll all be bz playing AH !

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2000, 10:07:00 AM »
Pappy, that's a bi-product of "2 week free trial" and "New game" syndrome, AW had it when I first played in the late 80's (early 90's?) and WB's had it early on too.  It takes awhile for some of that to fade.

If you flight Knight, look up any JG2 member online, we're up 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and usually have some ops going, not all the time I warn you!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
I/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

Turning Spitfires into Bud Lite cans since 1992

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-14-2000).]