Author Topic: How to map analog axis to buttons?  (Read 566 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How to map analog axis to buttons?
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:42:20 PM »
Change log says: "Added the ability to map analog inputs to button functions.  Each axis has a min, max, and middle position that can be tied to button function or left unmapped."

How? I looked in there. I wanted to see about mapping a couple of things on an axis. For example, I have Zoom FOV, but it's a bit jittery with micro jumps at times and interferes with bombsight zoom at times. I wanted to map one extreme to "zoom in" button and the other to "zoom out" with the deadband in between.

I also wanted to try the same with flaps up/flaps down.

However when I go and double click the axis I only see the standard analog inputs as choices. Am I missing a new listing on that screen or just doing it wrong?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: How to map analog axis to buttons?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »
However when I go and double click the axis I only see the standard analog inputs as choices. Am I missing a new listing on that screen or just doing it wrong?

Scroll down in the list of axis and buttons. The new functions are additional "buttons".
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 02:27:29 PM »
Further to this, I'd like to set up my throttle so that at max throttle, WEP is automatically engaged.  This seems to be as simple as mapping WEP to THROTTLE MAX - however when I do this - nothing happens.

Thoughts?

Paul

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »
Stellaris - You can't map the axis to two different controls in the same mode - At least not in AH as far as I know.

It is not a good idea to map WEP at full throttle anyway. - Save it for when you get into combat as it only lasts a limited period of time!

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:34 AM »
Oh, I know it only lasts a little while!  What I want to do is have my throttle curve adjusted to give me FMP when the throttle hits the detent, and then go to WEP when I push it past the detent.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »
You can map something like that in the CH control mapper software.

I don't think you can do it with this new button function in AH.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
What I want to do is have my throttle curve adjusted to give me FMP when the throttle hits the detent, and then go to WEP when I push it past the detent.

That's a nice idea, but I can't see a way to set that up in AH. As Krusty has suggested, you might be able to program it in your throttle software if it comes with any. - There is no detent on a CH pro-throttle, so I can't see it working with that. I would be interested to know what throttle you actually are using?

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »
I have a G940.  I've already tried to do this with the Logitech profiler software, but failed.  It does allow me to program zones with key output on an axis, and I can get it to send a P for WEP just fine.  Unfortunately, Aces High won't put you into WEP unless you hit P with the throttle already at max, and it seems that the profiler software sends the P an instant too early.  However it just occurs to me that I should try adjusting the throttle curve to reach FMP earlier with this technique and maybe this will fix it.  More bulletins as events warrant.

Paul

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »
I know that on my CH throttle quad there is no detent button on the throttle movement... Until you add the software. Then a virtual button appears for each axis. Something like that might show up for yours as well. Definitely look into the software that comes with it.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
Progress!  By scaling the axis in the AH controller configuration so that it outputs 100% at 70% movement, I've ALMOST got this cracked.  I move it to the detent and get 95% FMP, shove it past the detent and get WEP.  For some reason though, it doesn't want to hit 100% FMP at the detent, although it looks like it should be from the raw/scaled indicators in advanced controller setup.  I'm going to play with the dampening and see if that fixes it...

Another issue (are you listening HTC?) is that it doesn't seem possible to copy the scaling settings from one axis to another.  For obvious reasons, I want both left and right throttles to respond identically, but right now I can only approximately duplicate the scaling slider settings.  I'm going to get into the configuration files and see if I can do this by hand, however a numeric readout of the slider positions, or a "copy from axis" function would be great for those less daring.  This isn't a criticism. Thanks for putting in the Min/Mid/Max axis functions that make this possible in the first place.

And by the way, it's WAY cooler and more intuitive to fly like this, rather than having WEP on a separate button.  This is certainly how modern fighters work, with the afterburner staging happening after hitting full throttle.  I imagine on piston fighters there were a variety of ways of turning on WEP, depending on the system (ie, was it just wide, wide throttle, or nitrous injection, or whatever).  Anyone have any info on this?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
Stellaris,

I believe you can manually copy the scalling,I'm no expert but I think it would be found in the JPS. files,you'd have to use notepad or the like to find the "numbers" and then simply copy them and put in other throttle axis.

Or I could be just full of BS.....  maybe someone who knows for sure could chime in,or you could try PM'ing AckAck and ask his help on this.

hope this helps.

:salute