Author Topic: Just some clarification about the .resetv command  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Just some clarification about the .resetv command
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »
So I understand the .resetv dot command can be used to reset the sound and vox connections.

.resetv 1
.resetv 2
and
.resetv 3

all reset certain sound "sub systems" (I forget which is which) and I understand that but what happens if you just use .resetv without a number after it?  Does it reset all three?

I'm just surprised because very rarely when there is a problem does .resetv anything actually fix it.  I have had certain sound anomalies in the past (distorted sound, "static" kind of noise, etc) that was corrected using the .resetv command but it seems like the most common sound problem in the game is the loss of Vox - sometimes affecting large blocks of people at once.  When this happens it seems like no combination of .resetv commands corrects this and often relogging back into the arena is necessary to restore vox communications.

So this makes me wonder.. is there a flaw in the programming of the .resetv commands or is there something else going on that causes the .resetv command to not work like it should?

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: Just some clarification about the .resetv command
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »
So I understand the .resetv dot command can be used to reset the sound and vox connections.

.resetv 1
.resetv 2
and
.resetv 3

all reset certain sound "sub systems" (I forget which is which) and I understand that but what happens if you just use .resetv without a number after it?  Does it reset all three?

I'm just surprised because very rarely when there is a problem does .resetv anything actually fix it
So this makes me wonder.. is there a flaw in the programming of the .resetv commands or is there something else going on that causes the .resetv command to not work like it should?

Not sure that it ever worked , it was developed as a short term fix way back when for specific problem with sound that everyone seemed to be having.   I think the basic problem was resolved with the sound system and not sure if .resetv was perhaps done away with.    I haven’t had a sound issue in a very very long time.  Not sure what others are experiencing.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »
I lose sound sometimes  if I let the game set unplayed too long. .resetv almost always fixes it. Don't the numbers

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 12:05:53 AM »
Tigger
In your post you mentioned "static". My mic just started that a few days ago.
I tried the 3 resetv commands but still have static when I transmit.
How did you fix it?  :old:
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »
Tigger
In your post you mentioned "static". My mic just started that a few days ago.
I tried the 3 resetv commands but still have static when I transmit.
How did you fix it?  :old:

In my case it was due to the audio drivers.  At the time I was using an "LTB" brand of USB headphones and was using the drivers downloaded from their website.  Aside from intermittent "static" anomalies I also encountered random game crashes while in GV's.  I could almost certainly reproduce the crash by turning off the engine in an M3 (although it wasn't just limited to that).

When I switched from the USB headset to onboard sound the crash never happened, so I did some digging.  Come to find out there was a hardware revision in the headphones at some point and although the exterior appearance of the headphones didn't change there was something different internally.  The drivers available on their website were for the "new" design ones and weren't 100% compatible with the "old" design ones.  I ended up spending a lot of time with them and eventually found a direct FTP site where I was able to install the correct drivers and didn't have a problem since.  This fixed both the crashing and the static issues.

I remember several months later upgrading my computer with a new MB, memory, hard drive and video card and Windows XP (yes this was several years ago) and after reinstalling everything I found that same crash bug yet again.  I had completely forgotten about the driver issue and once again installed the incorrect drivers, and after reinstalling the new drivers (I was happy to find them burned to a CD as I had lost my bookmark to their FTP site if it even still worked) I was good to go.

A while after that I ran over the wires one too many times so I upgraded to the Turtle Beach AKR8 (another USB surround sound headset) and used that for years until I started to get a lot of static from the right side - probably due to a blown speaker.  I recently got a great deal on a slightly used set of Turtle Beach HPA2 headphones which are identical to the AKR8 except hook onto the onboard surround instead of using a USB interface.  The sound quality is about the same but I no longer have a 'mini stutter' when I transmit VOX.

I have done away with USB sound altogether and I'm also very careful to make sure I have the correct motherboard drivers installed for my onboard sound (instead of generic microsoft drivers which will seem to work fine but cause issues).  I've also disabled the HDMI sound drivers for my video card.  My monitor speakers suck anyway!

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:50:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Tigger.

Mine is a Dell XPS 400, 4 Gigs RAM, XP Pro. Got it late 2006. I know, 5 years old, time for a new one. I'm saving the money for a new 'puter, but that's going to take awhile.

Windows stopped "recognizing" my mic headset. It's a cheap $25 Dyson, not USB, earclip single earpiece w/ mic. It's plugged into the mic jack on the front of the tower.

Doing a soundcheck in AH, when I press the transmit button, I hear the beep and the static. I can barely hear my voice.

I've checked everything related to sound and the hardware manager says everyting is OK.  :headscratch:

Computers are like my relationship with cars; I know how to drive them but I can only fix the easy basic stuff.  :old:
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »

Try downloading and installing new audio drivers from here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS/DIMENSION%20400/9150&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

If that doesn't fix it then your sound chip could be failing.. or you might even simply have a bad microphone...