Author Topic: Cowl Flaps  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Cowl Flaps
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:29 PM »
In warbirds the cowl flaps popped out when the gear came down...

I always leave the the cowl flaps closed when I'm flying an airplane with them on landing because of "shock cooling" running at a low power setting with cowl flaps open at speed could cool off the engine too fast. Some people say it will crack a cylinder. I dont know if its true or not, but I'd rather be safe than have to buy someone a new cylinder.

I open them during taxi/takeoff/climbout and leave them closed everywhere else.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 02:38:34 AM »
Would love this, at least in the sense of operation to help cool the engine, but then at the same time, how effective will this truely be and will other aircraft engines cool down faster, etc etc  :headscratch:
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 05:09:05 AM »
I dont see why not to add certain amounts of (read easy) engine management.  Not to detract from the fight, and not to dissuade newer players.  But as far as mmo flight sime (which i think this is the only one)  we tend to attract a more hardcore crowd??

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 06:28:17 AM »
Many of the WEP performance figures used in game were only attainable with engine cooling vents trimed appropriately
Ludere Vincere

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 06:41:52 AM »
I always leave the the cowl flaps closed when I'm flying an airplane with them on landing because of "shock cooling" running at a low power setting with cowl flaps open at speed could cool off the engine too fast. Some people say it will crack a cylinder. I dont know if its true or not, but I'd rather be safe than have to buy someone a new cylinder.

I open them during taxi/takeoff/climbout and leave them closed everywhere else.

Dont engine tempertures effect that?

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »
Dont engine tempertures effect that?

Affect what?
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."