Author Topic: Cowl Flaps  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Cowl Flaps
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »
I think that cowl flaps could be a good idea. You could use them to cool off your engine after prolonged WEP use but you would have to take the drag penalty associated with them. They could also be used to slow down fast(er). I know almost all the air cooled engines had them but I did not know that any of the liquid cooled engines had them. I saw this picture that the Flying Heritage collection posted on facebook and it looks like the P40 has cowl flaps.

Anyways, just throwing that out there. Flamesuit on.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Cowl Flaps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
Some liquid cooled aircraft had radiator flaps that could be opened or closed manually, though if the engine got hot they'd open automatically.  They are one of the major drag areas of the Spitfire Mk XIV.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
+1
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
Consider it "automatic" now.

I believe this is one of those "just push another button" engine management things that actually do nothing for game play that Hitech has always said he is against.

Need a quote? I'll search if you like.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »
Consider it "automatic" now.

I believe this is one of those "just push another button" engine management things that actually do nothing for game play that Hitech has always said he is against.

Need a quote? I'll search if you like.

wrongway

even if it's was automatic it'd still be cool to be able to see the flaps opening and closing.   
-AoM-

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »
Oh, the new FHC P40...  :aok

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
even if it's was automatic it'd still be cool to be able to see the flaps opening and closing.   

You can see that from the cockpit...of your own plane?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »
HiTech is on record as being against anything based in reality as far as engine management is concerned, such as cowl flaps, Engine oil warm up prior to flight, things that would make aircraft operation more complex.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »
HiTech is on record as being against anything based in reality as far as engine management is concerned, such as cowl flaps, Engine oil warm up prior to flight, things that would make aircraft operation more complex.

Since obviously, the sim is not about aircraft operation, but air combat. There are other sims that are all about aircraft operation.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »
I still give a +1 to cowl flaps-- I always curse myself for using WEP too early, and then having an engine temp of 52375892157209 degrees. And I can never seem to get it to cool down, either-- even when at a 30 degree glide, with RPMs and manifold set to minimum.

:headscratch:

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:19:04 PM »
You can see that from the cockpit...of your own plane?

from a p47, zero, 109, yes.   you can see those from inside your own plane.  probably others too.
-AoM-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
I still give a +1 to cowl flaps-- I always curse myself for using WEP too early, and then having an engine temp of 52375892157209 degrees. And I can never seem to get it to cool down, either-- even when at a 30 degree glide, with RPMs and manifold set to minimum.

:headscratch:

In past threads, it`s been said engine off works to cool you better than rpm/manifold minimum.  I find my temp does cool down in between WEP runups, but I tend to fly longer sorties than many.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
Purely on the basis of asthetics, I think it would be fine. As far as actually incorporating it as a manual function in running the engine, I don't think we need to complicate the matter.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
Purely on the basis of asthetics, I think it would be fine. As far as actually incorporating it as a manual function in running the engine, I don't think we need to complicate the matter.

Unless you spawn in the hangar and taxi to the runway or taxi back to the hangar after landing you will never be in a situation where the cowl flaps would be fully open.  Even for takeoff where engine cooling airflow is most critical the cowl flaps are adjusted to a "trail" position (opened slightly).  During climb they will normally be in trail and in cruise they will be closed. Not going to be much to see as eye candy.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 11:18:53 PM »
In warbirds the cowl flaps popped out when the gear came down...
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3