Author Topic: Wazzose Strings Coming Down?  (Read 479 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Wazzose Strings Coming Down?
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
Have you ever experienced a personal mystery?  :O  Something that might not have sent you screaming into the street, but still comes to mind now and then because you simply do not know enough about what you experienced?

My main unexplained personal mystery is "angel hair" falling in long white strings (e.g., 10 to 20 feet) from the sky. About 30 years ago, in the early 1980s, my wife and I were visiting my older half-sister in the backyard of her house in the city of Evansville, Indiana. The quiet afternoon was warm with virtually no wind.

We happened to look up, and saw maybe a dozen long vertical strings of something white drifting slowly down to the ground from high up in a clear blue sky that had no clouds or signs of aircraft.

The white vertical strings were spaced far apart and descended separately in no obvious pattern, no clumping, with additional strings coming into view high up as others neared the ground. We were outside watching them for about an hour.

A few eventually came down in and around the backyard where we were standing. When the strings touched anything they slowly collapsed or clung as you would expect spaghetti strands to do, and that's about what they looked like: whitish, rather translucent, diameter of a grease pencil "lead", no odor, feeling quite neutral, e.g., vaguely nylony, maybe just a little sticky. 

(Trying to describe the phenomenon still makes on-line searches daunting. I tried many terms before "angel hair" proved productive.)

The "angel hair" strings seemed to be slowly dissolving or disappearing. (Later I would learn this is sublimation, changing from a solid state to gas without becoming liquid [or much of it] as they passed from colder upper air to warmer lower air around the ground.) We thought about collecting some of them, then figured somebody else with more knowledge would be doing it somewhere and figuring it out.

How's that for calm Hoosier processing of unidentified new information? What the heck -- no apparent threat, surely somebody in charge knows about it, another sidebar for the newspaper or passing mention on TV in a slow news day.

I thought the most logical candidate would be processed wastes vented from aircraft, which accounted for most of my disinterest in collecting them and messing with them. What did I think, that waste was being blobbed and then run through some noodle crank?

(Prevailing lore is that most aircraft waste is in sealed tanks, and that if any ever escapes it is most likely in the form of blue ice chunks reflecting the dominant chemical treatment.)

To my surprise, apparently nothing was ever reported about this incident of "angel hair." My half-sister said if any neighbors ever saw it, they never mentioned it. I figured if it was important I would soon hear about it. Later I searched here and there for info but came up with nothing. As time passed the angel hair faded in memory but always remained a curiosity.

Today, decades later, I decided to look again and finally stumbled across "angel hair" as the most relevant search term. Several Internet references suggest angel hair is of biological origin from UFOs. Ha, more than I expected: E.T. excretion. Glad I didn't mess with it.

Anyway, if you haven't heard about this already, thought you'd be interested, and I'd certainly like to know if you have seen or heard anything about this phenomenon.  I also have searched Snopes several times describing this in several terms but have never found anything there about this version of angel hair.

I still can't come up with any better guesses than something to do with treatment of human waste from aircraft or some form of biodegradable chaff. Or maybe some sort of shedding from some sort of stealth or other vehicle surfacing. Or maybe an exotic fuel byproduct.

Key seems to be the strings are biological. (Twilight Zone do-de-do-do swells in background.) And way too thick to be spider soaring aids.

Some studies suggest peaks around October. Here are three links to angel hair info:

http://www.bibleufo.com/angelhair.htm (brief history)

tracers.8m.com/AHair.htm  (some substance analysis)

www.cufos.org/boldman.pdf (An Analysis of Angel Hair 1947-2000)

If any of this sounds familiar, please share if you have ever seen anything like this phenomenon. 
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Wazzose Strings Coming Down?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
My main unexplained personal mystery is "angel hair" falling in long white strings (e.g., 10 to 20 feet) from the sky. About 30 years ago, in the early 1980s, my wife and I were visiting my older half-sister in the backyard of her house in the city of Evansville, Indiana. The quiet afternoon was warm with virtually no wind.

Did it come from the direction of the Red Star?   :noid

bonus points if you ID the reference.   :aok

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
Red star thread is from McCafferey "Dragons of Pern" series.

As for the OP threads, those are spider silk threads of one of just a few spider species that use that as a method of distributing baby spiders right after hatching.  The baby spiders hatch, climb up on top of something, and when they feel a breeze they let out a bunch of silk.  The wind catches the silk and distributes the spiders downwind.

If you had looked closely at those threads, you might have seen a small spider hanging on to some of them.  I don't remember the trigger that gets the spider to let go and abandon its ride though, so it's possible they hopped off before you saw them.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »

As for the OP threads, those are spider silk threads of one of just a few spider species that use that as a method of distributing baby spiders right after hatching.  The baby spiders hatch, climb up on top of something, and when they feel a breeze they let out a bunch of silk.  The wind catches the silk and distributes the spiders downwind.

If you had looked closely at those threads, you might have seen a small spider hanging on to some of them.  I don't remember the trigger that gets the spider to let go and abandon its ride though, so it's possible they hopped off before you saw them.

This is what I first thought of.............
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »
Red star thread is from McCafferey "Dragons of Pern" series.

This
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

And way too thick to be spider soaring aids.

guess the others missed this part...  :noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:56:47 PM »
guess the others missed this part...  :noid
Nope. I've seen exactly what he was talking about. It's spiders.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:57 PM »
No, not spiders at all. Think strands the thickness of grease pencil "lead". about 1/8 to 1/4-inch diameter. Wouldn't want to see any critter that could spin anything that thick.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous