Author Topic: Damage model and control surface loading.  (Read 432 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Damage model and control surface loading.
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:01 AM »
Sort of a question and a wish.............

As wings and stabilisers receive damage is their G limit prior breaking point reduced in any way? If not I would  wish that it would be.........

e.g. If your graphics are showing holes in your inner wing then your inner wing failure threshold G has been reduced .............. approach the new lower G and you get the normal air frame stress noises (but at this new lower loading) maintain this loading and the wing fails (but at this new lower  loading)
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Damage model and control surface loading.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:55:09 AM »
It doesn't at present time.  All parts are either functioning perfectly or gone.

+1 on this wish for sure.  It would also go nicely with gradually degraded performance on damaged control surfaces.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »
I've seen it implemented and it works well.

You get messages in the buffer that you're pulling more Gs than a damaged part can handle.

More than 3 messages and the part comes off.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
It doesn't at present time.  All parts are either functioning perfectly or gone.

+1 on this wish for sure.  It would also go nicely with gradually degraded performance on damaged control surfaces.

Wiley.
Im pretty sure that if you keep stressing you a/c it gets weaker ingame...
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:56:34 PM »
Im pretty sure that if you keep stressing you a/c it gets weaker ingame...

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.  I routinely stress a couple planes doing certain maneuvers, and it always happens at the same point regardless of how shot up I am/how many times I do them on a sortie.  The specific quotes I've seen from HTC were with regard to control surfaces, but the impression I'd gotten was the same logic applies to things like wings.

I personally wouldn't want the 3 warnings then it goes.  It should be preceded by the stress noise at a lower G point, then break if you pull too far.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure it doesn't.  I routinely stress a couple planes doing certain maneuvers, and it always happens at the same point regardless of how shot up I am/how many times I do them on a sortie.  The specific quotes I've seen from HTC were with regard to control surfaces, but the impression I'd gotten was the same logic applies to things like wings.

I personally wouldn't want the 3 warnings then it goes.  It should be preceded by the stress noise at a lower G point, then break if you pull too far.

Wiley.

I would swear I believed that specifically the A6M exibited structural weakness when damaged....about two years ago.  I remember flying it and taking some hits, and often performing maneuvers that I thought were "safe" just to snap a wing.  I was convinced that damage would waken the structure.  I no longer believe this to be the case, but it was always when I was pulling High G's (without blackout) and full rudder at the same time.  The new model does not exhibit this at all.  But I really thought that it was actually different from and undamaged to a damaged aircraft.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
IMO if damage did reduce the break point threshold then HTC would have said so by now. So I guess it's just a wish then.
Ludere Vincere

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »
IMO if damage did reduce the break point threshold then HTC would have said so by now. So I guess it's just a wish then.
Maybe they missed the thread.  :noid
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3