Author Topic: Friction...?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Friction...?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »
what happens if you have a fat driver like me while the loader is some skinny kid ditching primary school?  wont the cg be askew?

semp

:rofl :rofl :rofl

And what if the loader took a dump in an empty shell casing?

:salute

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »
I think the right thing to do is have the gear snap off the second it encounters any side loading.

No more skids.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:56 AM »
Just fly higher...you can save tire pressure and fuel.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »
use the landing gear to slow you down then pull them up and land on your belly.  I can stop my pony in like 20 yards that way.

semp

Yes, but my crew chief gets really pissed at me when I do that.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 09:44:27 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else thought friction was a bit off in game. Jeeps are constantly doing power slides around burms (to be expected in an off road environment at 60mph) but they also do it on tarmak as well.

In addition I was trying to land a 47 the other day and there was a nasty hill at the end of it. I had no go around chance because I would never clear the hill and I didn't touch down until 2/3 the length of the runway. I had no ailerons to bleed speed before touch down so I just had to go with it. I held the breaks as long as I could and at the last possible second tried to do a ground spin to get rid of that extra speed. Instead I ended up hitting the hill because the jug did not want to go where it's wheels were pointing. I know a ground spin in a jug requires unlocking the tail wheel (a feature we don't have) but I tested this in another sim under the same conditions and nailed it.

Just wondering if anyone else though the friction models in game were a bit wonkey.
:airplane: just a suggestion, but if you would work on your approach to landing speed, this would never happen. Learn to slow fly the a/c at altitude, 100MPH is best approach speed in the Jug series, or so I have found. In the "Mike" series, once under 300MPH IAS, you can start lowering flaps to help slow you down and then get your speed down around 150MPH, lower gear and then you can finish lowering flaps to help control speed.
As far as "ground looping" a jug or any aircraft in here, go to neutral with control stick, press and hold either "C" or "V", and I assure you, it will ground loop!
If you are using any speed above 125MPH IAS as you approach for landing, you are way to fast. Jug is one of the easiest a/c in game to land because of the large flaps and wide landing gear.
Just put a little effort in learning to slow fly your aircraft and then you will truly be the "Master" of that aircraft. Until you learn to fly it in all flight reams, you are NOT the "Master" of the aircraft.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
Aircraft behavior on a carrier deck is.... Unusual.

Having taxied many times on a carrier deck, there is no tendency for the aircraft to go straight when the ship is turning. Typically, it would take something on the order of 0.6g to induce tire slippage. The most lateral g you will feel when the carrier turns into the wind is next to nothing. In an emergency turn, the ship will heel (tip) away from the direction of turn. That, however, still will not induce any odd behavior other than a change in relative wind direction. Loose gear may roll around, but that's due to the change in deck angle, not lateral g.

I can imagine how difficult "friction" on a CV deck would be to code....

There's another solution, perhaps not as difficult to code.

Something we don't have is catapults. U.S. WWII vintage carriers had hydraulic catapults. With a full flight deck, there was not enough available flight deck to deck run aircraft. Thus, for a big Alpha Strike, the first 30 or so aircraft would be catapulted off the bow. Once there was adequate flight deck length, the balance would deck run.

I'd like the option to select catapult. This would spawn you near the bow, unable to move. To launch, go to max power and/or WEP and the cat shoots you off three seconds later.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »
Something we don't have is catapults. U.S. WWII vintage carriers had hydraulic catapults. With a full flight deck, there was not enough available flight deck to deck run aircraft. Thus, for a big Alpha Strike, the first 30 or so aircraft would be catapulted off the bow. Once there was adequate flight deck length, the balance would deck run.

I'd like the option to select catapult. This would spawn you near the bow, unable to move. To launch, go to max power and/or WEP and the cat shoots you off three seconds later.

Would be nice when some dweeb turns carrier. I see the catapult tracks in the design of our cvs. Always wondered about that.  :headscratch:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »
I read an account of a guy taking a Hellcat off the deck of a CV (USS Intrepid) doing an emergency turn.  It was a deckrun, not catapult.  He managed it (just barely) and needed full rudder.  I thought it was interesting as previously I had assumed that a plane wouldn't be able to do it at all.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »
I read an account of a guy taking a Hellcat off the deck of a CV (USS Intrepid) doing an emergency turn.  It was a deckrun, not catapult.  He managed it (just barely) and needed full rudder.  I thought it was interesting as previously I had assumed that a plane wouldn't be able to do it at all.

I'll bet the CV was making a left turn, right turn might not work so well depending on the aircraft.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 03:02:53 AM »
I found the passage (from Intrepid, by White and Gandt -- a great book -- p. 109).

"Mallory saw that from his position he had a clear run down the deck.  He considered his options for a moment, then made up his mind.  He shoved the throttle up, and the Hellcat headed down the flight deck.

The problem was that the deck was heeling over at a severe angle because the ship was in a hard turn to starboard.  He had to stomp hard on the right rudder to keep the fighter aimed for the bow, which was swinging to the right.

He almost made it to the bow.  Skidding and skittering, clawing for speed, the Hellcat drifted toward the left edge of the deck.  Seventy feet short of the bow, praying that he had enough airspeed, he yanked the fighter into the air.  The Hellcat sailed out over the left deck edge, hovered a few precarious seconds over the open water -- then flew away."