Author Topic: Generals and their perks  (Read 1213 times)

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
Re: Generals and their perks
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 06:31:05 AM »
How about the radar (dot) update rate? Killing him increases it to two minutes this time gradually reduces to arena standard over a fixed period.
-1 if killing the vip character hampers any general arena standard settings.
+1 for the idea just because the cries "why do knights always move their general to get him killed, that`s it I`m going to Rook for a day" would make me laugh. Otherwise it is something I don`t care about.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 08:03:50 AM »
-1 if killing the vip character hampers any general arena standard settings.
+1 for the idea just because the cries "why do knights always move their general to get him killed, that`s it I`m going to Rook for a day" would make me laugh. Otherwise it is something I don`t care about.

I think Franz's idea about the general providing a local bonus above standard that is merely reduced to standard if he is not present for any reason is the way to go.  In addition Tinkle's idea won't work because as nation wide effect it would just mean the general was kept safe in the backfield.

I think making a base harder to capture by requiring the town to be 100% down and perhaps needing 20 troops would be the way to go.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
I agree karnak great idea. If you capture the general wouldn't it be good if ya got something for it. Like say cv sector locations, not precise but just the general sector. Maybe info on missions that were posted before he was captured.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 12:42:04 PM »
A couple of achievements right there to be exploited  :cool:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:55:56 PM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Sound like fun.  :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 01:18:57 PM »
I say if someone shoots me down my team gets -10 shield deflectors.  

was accused of invisible cloak in TT the other day,  

I just came flying through a pretty thick cloud in my Spit 1 and cut the guys tail off from 200 yards @ 450 MPH.   Must be Hax  :noid

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
No, just the opposite:

General "Dee" Zaster is a totally automated feature of the game.  Each of the three sides gets an instantiation of him.  He spawns in a C-47 at a rear-area airbase and then goes on a tour of bases.  Where-ever he visits, pandemonium ensues: fuel bunkers run dry, radar stops pinging, hot pads go cold, the trees are filled with underwear, the toilets explode.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:09 PM »
For the Battleships and CV part, and land bases - Admiral/General stuff, how's this?
Where he lands determines what he brings?
This method wouldn't change any thing at already exists, it just adds a Battleship or bunch of wirbles, 88mm guns pulled by trucks(?), anti tank guns pulled by trucks(?).

Arrival:
So someone at a land base, ups in a c47 with the Admiral/General on board, lands him at a CV, and INSTANTLY(?) a battleship appears in formation with the CV, regardless of if the CV was blinking or not, or already under attack or not. If he lands at an airfield or vehicle base, blinking or not, he instantly brings his support group, spawning at their 'automatic' places, depending on the type of base.

For in combat:
Technically, he would station on the CV, even though the Battleship comes with him. So he is located in the hangar as a 'load' for all to see.
(As for who can load him is another topic)
The battle:
Anything that gets sunk... he automatically transfers to the next largest ship of the normal convoy, still appearing in the CV just like a normal dead CV, we can go to the hangar, we just can't up.
So to actually KILL HIM, the ENTIRE CONVOY would need to be DESTROYED, if someone tried to escape with him, then that vehicle or plane would need to be destroyed.
When CV's get sank, there is a normal spawn time before the whole thing gets re-spawned back near its port. IF the CV is dead, and the time expires... then, if even one destroyer was still alive, the General would spawn back to that CV's home port, with the new CV, which would have his Battleship with it, in whatever its condition was.
Hence: Yes, every LAST ship of a convoy would become subject to destruction! Better believe it!

Departure:
If the convoy is NOT blinking, then, if someone loads the General, and takes off... the Battleship INSTANTLY disappears.
If the convoy IS blinking, and someone loads him and takes off from the CV in a plane or even a PT Boat, then the Battleship stays there, in combat, until sank or the CV stops blinking.
If the General/Admiral is not on board, and the group is NOT blinking, then yes his support group INSTANTLY disappears.

Arrival:
He has to at least get a ditch, as in land closer to a friendly base or CV, than any enemy base or CV.
If he was in a loaded on board a PT boat, presumed from a dead CV, he has to get within range of either a base or another friendly CV, to get a 'successfully landed' and without an enemy anything within range of him - just like when driving a tank and hoping to get a 'successful landed.'

What he brings:
If his Battleship was burning; then, at the new cv, his Battleship would be in the same condition, burning. And as anything else, it gets repaired with time.
If he goes to a friendly Airfield, or Vehicle-base, then his 'damaged Battleship' becomes a 'damaged support group. Which also would full up, over time, like a de-acked field.

Hence: where he goes, determines what he brings.
If he lands at a CV, he brings a Battleship, if he lands at an airfield or vehicle field, he becomes his normal support group.

Would be a couple of dozen possible achievements and perk awards for any of this by the way, conditions dependent.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:41:45 PM by Franz Von Werra »
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »
Other 'bomb load' guys for the hangar to fly around:

1) Generals: as stated, to add a battleship to CV groups.  Or to add wirbles and anti-tank guns, and auto-ack personel, and extra radar range trucks?
*Edit: Yes, adding to the number of enemy troops to capture his base! Or add to the his outgoing loaded troops per c47.

2) Spys!: Drop this guy off NEAR A BASE or NEAR AN HQ, and then when we right click, we would have more detailed information.
Example: Airbase: "45 of the 50 town buildings are down" and "White Flag!" and stuff like "Aircraft Hangars: 3 of 4 are up."
Pick him up before he's been there too and captured? Or if other team brings their spy to the base?

3) Artworks: Goering's Artwork - transport it from Captured Bases back to your capital for PERKS! After capturing a base, go to hangar to see what's there?

4) War Criminals!: Martin Bormann, if at a base, he kills some of the troops so need more than 10 to capture a base?
Near end of war, escaping war criminals, LOL!!! Transport him to a distant farmhouse within enemy lines to live 'happily ever after under a different name' for achievement?

5) The Ladies!: Singer Lilly Marlene, adds to the number of troops that can be loaded into a c47?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:17:29 PM by Franz Von Werra »
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'